Author Topic: Olga's poems, prayers, and literary influences  (Read 49283 times)

Offline Missy-T

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Olga Nicholievna's Poetry
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 09:34:18 AM »
Here's one I found..The title says it's a poem, but to me it looks more like a prayer :-/.
But anyway, it's from Olga.

Poem by the Holy Royal Martyr Grand Duchess Olga.

"Queen of the sky and earth,
consolation of the afflicted,
listen to the prayer of us sinners.
You are our hope and salvation.
We are bogged down in the filth of passion,
we err in the gloom of vice.
But...our Father!
O, turn towards her gaze which observes everything.
Holy Russia, your glorious homeland
is in danger of perishing.
We invoke you, our Protectoress,
we know nothing but you.
Do not abandon your children,
spirit of the afficted.
Do not divert your gaze
from our grief and our martyrdom."

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 11:19:41 PM »
Grand duchess Evebobbob, I believe the poem Reashka has quoted was written in the language represented, since Alexandra and her children primarily spoke English to each other.

Offline anna11

• Boyar
  • history is the world's court of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 11:44:30 PM »

You are filled with anguish
For the suffering of others.
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by.
You are relentless
Only toward yourself,
Forever cold and pitiless.
But if only you could look upon
Your own sadness from a distance,
Just once with a loving soul -
Oh, how you would pity yourself,
How sadly you would weep.

She wrote that to her MOTHER?! Thats pretty gutsy.

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Offline Romanov_Fan19

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 01:44:35 PM »
Ive  read  some of her poetry  :) quite Beautiful!   such a sweet sprit , simple soul   I Admire her greatly  for being the eldest  sibling   (as I Am)  and trying to steer the younger ones :)  ......they made a wonderful family She was a great Sister, daughter and Granddaughter

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 07:33:01 PM »
I agree with you Anna11, it was gutsy of Olga to present that poem to Alexandra because it showed she was observing her mother closely and drawing conclusions. However, the poem avoids being negative; the only negative, Olga writes, is that her mother is too hard on herself. Some would say this is manipulation, but I do not think so . . . at least not in the negative sense! Despite her comparatively young age and lack of worldly experience, Olga appears to have been a shrewd observer of those around her. She had reasons to be angry with her mother--and we know that she did sulk and argue with Alexandra--but when composing a poem to present to her mama, Olga went to the root of the issue without offending her subject by noting that Alexandra was not only conscientious, but conscientious to the point that she inflicted self-injury. This is something that people had been noting for years, though generally in less-than-kind terms. Olga's brilliance is that she could key into the issue and present it to her mother in a tactful and exceptionally loving way. To have done so otherwise, when they had just suffered through the shock of abdication and were now prisoners, would have been cruel indeed, and Olga was not a cruel person.

Also, I should mention that on another thread I suggested Olga might subconsciously have been writing about herself as well. It has been my personal experience  :P  :-[ that a daughter who is most like her mother is often the one that tangles the most with her mother--particularly if she is also the oldest daughter--and is subsequently most likely to suffer certain consequences.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Janet_W. »

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 10:15:24 AM »
 The last post is great insight about Olga!  

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
  • . Emiliya Brianaiovna . Ella of Hesse .
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 07:31:44 PM »
here is a link about her letters. a little insight to her. i thought that that might help.
So keep me awake for every moment
Give us more time to be this way
We can't stay like this forever
But I can have you next to me today
. Josh Groban .

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Her Writing and Her Influences
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 12:26:02 PM »
We've had one or two previous threads about Olga's poetry. What I'd like to accomplish with this thread is to verify which poems she actually wrote, which poems she admired and copied in her own hand, and her literary influences.

Quite a few websites have poetry written by Olga enthusiasts about Olga, but that's not what I'm going for. I'd like to delve into how she might have become interested in writing, her literary tastes, and who--or what--might have influenced her. (Classic poets? Contemporary poets? Members of her own family having similar talents/aspirations?) For example, another poster has been kind enough to inform me of several young poets Olga and her sisters knew through their nursing connections, and as time permits I hope to provide information about these young men.

Thanks in advance!

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Her Writing and Her Influences
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 09:14:18 AM »
I agree, we need to learn more about this topic. There is much potential there. Thanks for raising that point. I only wish I knew more. Hopefully it can be addressed.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 10:09:36 AM »
I believe Olga was fond of Lermontov.

I've always been struck by the list of books found at the Ipatiev house after the murder. Olga seems to be the only member of her family who brought some fiction (as opposed to philosophical, instructional, or religious reading).

Gleb Botkin also mentions that Olga would look over and make suggestions regarding the poetry he wrote during the family's stay in Tobolsk. I don't recall however if Olga sent any of her own work for Gleb's review.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 06:20:57 PM »
Yeah Olga loved poetry and books and school she was very studious. Her personality is unique. :)

Offline mr_harrison75

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 08:42:23 PM »
The books someone reads gives a good idea of what a person is...

Sarushka told us that Olga was fond of Lermontov...and what caracterized Lermontov's poems were about the russian educated youth that were unsatisfied with their social lives, who felt alone and held their life as something futile, with no real aims, but with a passionate yearning towards liberty.

And I believe that Olga felt like this, isn't it?

Just my two cents.  :)

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 09:42:01 PM »
For an interesting article about Mikhail Lermontov, as well as one of his translated poems and links to additional information, check out Mikhail Lermontov at Wikipedia.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 10:23:29 AM »
Sarushka told us that Olga was fond of Lermontov...and what caracterized Lermontov's poems were about the russian educated youth that were unsatisfied with their social lives, who felt alone and held their life as something futile, with no real aims, but with a passionate yearning towards liberty.

And I believe that Olga felt like this, isn't it?

I'm just curious, what makes you think that Olga felt "unsatisfied with her social life... alone....held her life as something futile ... had no real aims.... and a passionate yearning towards liberty"?

Offline Raegan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
I'm just curious, what makes you think that Olga felt "unsatisfied with her social life... alone....held her life as something futile ... had no real aims.... and a passionate yearning towards liberty"?

I'm curious about this as well. Mr. Harrison, could you please provide examples of Olga's writings in which she actually stated all of these things?