Author Topic: British Royal Weddings--past and present  (Read 112394 times)

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Wedding of TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge,april 29th
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2011, 11:56:39 AM »
And even more pics:

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?productionjobid=49622&flush=1

And from earlyer today,but easyer to find for those who just tuned in here:

http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=29-04-2011%20London

:)

After the wedding reception the newly weds surprised the crowds as they drove to Clarence House
in Prince Charles´s old Aston Martin as Williams rescue helicopter flew over them.Fantastic!!

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?specialid=4443&flush=1

;D

The Couple will return to Buckingham Palace in a short while for the dinner hosted by Prince Charles and the party into the wee hours of tomorrow....
Je Maintiendrai

Offline kamlowsky

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding of HRH Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton april 29th
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »
I am in America and stayed up all night for the Royal Wedding. I think it was perfect. I loved the Countess of Cambridge elegant laced top and sleeves with the solid formed fitted bodice and the lovely folds of the skirt and train. Just so elegant and classic, a timeless piece.  I also like the crown which was given to the Queen on her 16th Birthday. Did Queen Elizabeth ever wear it? I think she made a appropriate choice. She has plenty of time to wear others.  I've never seen it before. It was understated and I had to look for it with the lovel veil. What was the fabric of the veil?  Beautiful bride. The Count of Cambride look dashing in that Red Irish Guard uniform. I love the addition of the red. Harry is so handsome and I was tickled when he rode in the carriage with the little maids of honor. He was talking to them, smiling and making it fun for them waving at the people..

Now I  am staying awake to watch the Endeavor liftoff with Commander Kelly. Gabbie will be there but don't know if anyone will see her. She has never had a photo taken of her except with her hand holding C. Kelly's.  I cant wait to see pictures of Commander Kelly with his twin brother who is on the Space Station. Presidet Obama, Michelle, Sasha, Malia and Grandmother Robinson are going to be there. First stop is Alabama to revieve the damage from the Tonadoes and speak with the Gov. and FEMA. 

Rani

« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2011, 12:20:51 PM »
Very nice, perfect, British! :)

(Still I prefer CP Victorias wedding)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »
Some factoids:

Are there usually trees in Westminster Abbey? Kate loves the outdoors and, according to the Daily Mail, she ordered more than four tons of foliage to create an English country garden setting inside Westminster Abbey, including pyramid-shaped ornamental Hornbeams to frame the choir and a "living avenue" of 20-foot-tall, 15-year-old English Field Maples through which guests walked to their seats. The cost? About 50,000 pounds, or $83,335.

What music did Kate walk in to? It didn't sound like the wedding march. The princess walked down the aisle to "I Was Glad" by Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry, who composed it for the coronation of Prince William's great-great-great grandfather Edward VII in 1902.

Why was Prince William wearing red? Prince William holds an honorary rank of Colonel of the Irish Guards, and he opted to wear an Irish Guard's officer uniform instead of his Royal Air Force uniform. He also wore his Garter sash and star, Royal Air Force "wings," and Golden Jubilee medal.

What was in the bride's bouquet? According to the official royal wedding website, the bouquet was a shield-shaped collection of Myrtle, Lily-of-the-Valley, Sweet William, Ivy, and Hyacinth. The Myrtle sprigs were from plants grown from the Myrtle used in the wedding bouquets of Queen Victoria in 1845 and Queen Elizabeth in 1947.
Any hidden messages? Each bridesmaid had her name and the date of the wedding hand-embroidered into the lining of her dress. The bride and groom could not customize their vows, but they did write their own prayer, which was read by Richard Chartres, the Bishop of London, during the ceremony (download a copy of the program here). It was: "God our Father, we thank you for our families; for the love that we share and for the joy of our marriage. In the busyness of each day keep our eyes fixed on what is real and important in life and help us to be generous with our time and love and energy. Strengthened by our union help us to serve and comfort those who suffer. We ask this in the Spirit of Jesus Christ. Amen." And of course, each of those flowers in the bride's bouquet had a special meaning: Lily-of-the-Valley represents the return of happiness, Sweet William stands for gallantry, Hyacinth is for the constancy of love, Myrtle symbolizes marriage and love, and Ivy is for fidelity, marriage, wedded love, friendship, and affection.

What about her earrings? The bride's earrings were designed by Robinson Pelham, according to the official royal wedding website. They are diamond-set stylized oak leaves that frame a dangling diamond-set drop and pave-set diamond acorn. The earrings, which are a wedding gift to Kate from her parents, were made to match the tiara lent to her by the Queen, and were inspired by the Middleton family's new coat of arms.

Also, a secondary title is Earl of Strathearn, a nice throwback to the Duke of Connaught.  :)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »

Eugenie and Beatrice.

I love B's coat.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »
I know that hat probably cost a fortune but- UGLY! As was said on the BBC- "bedsprings"!
 Too awkward to be drag queens,  or daytime street walkers.
 BTW, was that Jake Middleton doing the reading ?  Incredibly handsome, tanned and perfect diction. Only 24.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2011, 02:05:26 PM »
Some factoids:

Are there usually trees in Westminster Abbey? Kate loves the outdoors and, according to the Daily Mail, she ordered more than four tons of foliage to create an English country garden setting inside Westminster Abbey, including pyramid-shaped ornamental Hornbeams to frame the choir and a "living avenue" of 20-foot-tall, 15-year-old English Field Maples through which guests walked to their seats. The cost? About 50,000 pounds, or $83,335.

What music did Kate walk in to? It didn't sound like the wedding march. The princess walked down the aisle to "I Was Glad" by Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry, who composed it for the coronation of Prince William's great-great-great grandfather Edward VII in 1902.

Why was Prince William wearing red? Prince William holds an honorary rank of Colonel of the Irish Guards, and he opted to wear an Irish Guard's officer uniform instead of his Royal Air Force uniform. He also wore his Garter sash and star, Royal Air Force "wings," and Golden Jubilee medal.

What was in the bride's bouquet? According to the official royal wedding website, the bouquet was a shield-shaped collection of Myrtle, Lily-of-the-Valley, Sweet William, Ivy, and Hyacinth. The Myrtle sprigs were from plants grown from the Myrtle used in the wedding bouquets of Queen Victoria in 1845 and Queen Elizabeth in 1947.
Any hidden messages? Each bridesmaid had her name and the date of the wedding hand-embroidered into the lining of her dress. The bride and groom could not customize their vows, but they did write their own prayer, which was read by Richard Chartres, the Bishop of London, during the ceremony (download a copy of the program here). It was: "God our Father, we thank you for our families; for the love that we share and for the joy of our marriage. In the busyness of each day keep our eyes fixed on what is real and important in life and help us to be generous with our time and love and energy. Strengthened by our union help us to serve and comfort those who suffer. We ask this in the Spirit of Jesus Christ. Amen." And of course, each of those flowers in the bride's bouquet had a special meaning: Lily-of-the-Valley represents the return of happiness, Sweet William stands for gallantry, Hyacinth is for the constancy of love, Myrtle symbolizes marriage and love, and Ivy is for fidelity, marriage, wedded love, friendship, and affection.

What about her earrings? The bride's earrings were designed by Robinson Pelham, according to the official royal wedding website. They are diamond-set stylized oak leaves that frame a dangling diamond-set drop and pave-set diamond acorn. The earrings, which are a wedding gift to Kate from her parents, were made to match the tiara lent to her by the Queen, and were inspired by the Middleton family's new coat of arms.

Also, a secondary title is Earl of Strathearn, a nice throwback to the Duke of Connaught.  :)

It was the first time there were trees in the Abbey GDElla,definitely refreshing and a sign of new times
where sustainability and the "Green theme" are preferred or better have precedence over anything else.
This is a new generation,and things are done progressively different then tradition had it thus far. :)

Prince William was recently promoted to the rank of Honorary Colonel of the Irish Guards by HM.
It was his personal choice to wear it.Someone at the BBC explained why,but I forgot somewhere
during the wedding.

Maybe it is explained somewhere here,everything else is explained here:

http://www.officialroyalwedding2011.org/

:)

Some of the venues in use for the wedding yesterday and today"

http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=27-04-2011%20Londen

Courtesy PPE

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:14:20 PM by Lucien »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »
The trees are to be planted at Highgrove after a few weeks display in the Abbey. If I heard correctly, most plants are potted and are to be planted in various places.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:28:28 PM by Robert_Hall »
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »

Eugenie and Beatrice. Reminds me of a Taurus.

Good to see these two have inherited their mother's impeccable taste.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2011, 02:23:46 PM »
A resumé of today:

Arrival of the guests at the Abbey:

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?mailingid=22975&flush=1

Arrival of the Groom and his Best Man at the Abbey:

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?mailingid=22976&flush=1

Arrival of the Bride and Mr.Michael Middleton:

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?mailingid=22977&flush=1

What a couple,what a day:

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?mailingid=22978&flush=1

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp/specialid=4443&flush=1

Courtesy ANP

Quit some people out there:

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c648253ef014e88264302970d-pi

Interesting couple to the right....Harry and Pippa...would love that,but would they...?... ::) :)

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c648253ef01538e32bc77970b-pi

courtesy hja
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:34:20 PM by Lucien »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Windsor

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
I saw on American television last night that Kate's ring (formerally Princess Diana's) has an estimated worth of 55 million dollars due to its history!  Surely Kate will not wear it everyday?  Is there a chance that a "duplicate" has been made for her to wear and the real one locked away safely?

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »

The most flawless person at the wedding...Grace van Cutsem!

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »
Awww!  LOL!

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »
Not many pictures of Princess Anne, but from what I can tell i think her outfit & hair were great. Zara looked fantastic too!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2011, 03:46:28 PM »
Also I can't stand Earl Spencer, but his daughters looked stunning!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.