Author Topic: Rasputin and the gypsies  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Gypsy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Rasputin and the gypsies
« on: July 18, 2004, 08:39:57 AM »
I have heard various reports on this. Did he participate in orgys at the gypsy camp on the Neva, or was this only for entertainment? Apparently he was so involved with them that when he was murdered rumors circulated he was with the gypsies and had died during an orgy and thrown into the river. Does anyone know how gypsies came to be in St. Pete and what became of them after the revolution?

rskkiya

Re: Rasputin and the gypsies
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 02:32:01 PM »
Gypsy

Hello! Well this a quite a complex question...whether Rasputin was involved with any orgies anywhere all depends on who you want to ask...Alexandra thought that he was a saint, a lot of gossips thought he  was a vulgar lecher and con man, his daughter thought that he was the victim of the worlds greatest conspiracy!
    Rasputin did spend time with the gypsies, as did a lot of wealthy people ...Gypsy entertainment was in vogue and bands would be hired to dance  & sing at parties  (whether they were actually Romani or just entertainers is anyones guess.).  It is true that Rasputin liked to drink dance and have a good time...Yes I do think that he enjoyed sex with lots of people but most stories of  his "orgies" are probably exagerated in the extream! When he went to see Prince Yusupov (the man who helped to kill him)  they told everyone that they intended to go "to the gypsies" at some point. But they were not involved with the murder.
    Bands of Romani would often travel to large cities like St. Petersburg -- a bit like  a circuses might travel the curcuit.  This was nothing new in Russian social history, it was just becomming more popular (remember the fad for zoot suits and swing dancing a few years ago?). No doubt they did what they usually did after Rasputins death-- continued on their curcuit keeping out of harms way and avoiding the war...perhaps to Moscow ?
     Did you ask if the orgies were just for entertainment...? Well... I should hope so!  ;D

R.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rskkiya »

rskkiya

Re: Rasputin and the gypsies
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 09:08:02 PM »

Hello!
there is another thread about Rasputins murder at this site- under Russian Revolution...They might be able to give you more information there!