Author Topic: World War I In Color  (Read 4836 times)

Offline grandduchess_sofia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
World War I In Color
« on: May 02, 2005, 12:01:08 PM »
they've got a DVD on sale at Amazon at the moment. In one of the reviews it says
"The formula of using a famous actor to do a war documentary is a well tried one. Michael Redgrave and Judy Dench have done it very well for the First World War. Laurence Olivier did it superbly for the Second. Unfortunately Brannagh is a very pale imitation of any of these. Worse still is the commentary he is asked to read. "
I quite agree is voice does lull you to sleep a bit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:22:46 PM by Alixz »

Offline anna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: World War I In Color
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 09:23:09 AM »
Thank you Lucien, we'll have a busy tv week.

Wednesday 26th -Discovery Channel
Thursday 27th - Ned.2 the interview
Friday 28th- BBC2 Catharine the Great.

They do spoil us :D ;)

Anna
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

TheAce1918

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 09:54:35 PM »
This was a British mini-series done in 2003.  It has many marvelous clips of everything you can think of during The Great War.  There are I believe two episodes regarding the Eastern Front and the Bolshevik Revolution with footage of the IF.  They are quick clips, but rather informative.  The music, veterans's accounts, and narration by Kenneth Branagh is genious.  It really captures the 'forgotten' war.  :'(

Alixz

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 02:49:20 PM »
Hi Ace - I love your Snoopy,

I was just looking into buying that DVD last night on PBS.org.

It looks very interesting.  I love all footage of anything to do with World War I, the Great War.

They are several other Great War dvds that I will want as time goes on.  One begins before the Titanic and continues through the war and right up to Mousellini taking over in 1922 (I think??)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Alixz »

TheAce1918

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 04:01:09 PM »
No way?!  PBS has it? :o  And all this time I thought it was only available in through the UK or Amazon.  Would you happen to have the link, this site is driving me insane :-/

Alixz

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 06:51:57 PM »
Ace:  What happened to the Snoop??

The address is  http://www.shoppbs.org/searchHandler/index.jsp?searchId=10630796461&keywords=world+war+i  that will take you right to the page it is on.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:46:09 AM by Alixz »

Offline Raegan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 09:15:07 AM »
This was a British mini-series done in 2003.  It has many marvelous clips of everything you can think of during The Great War.  There are I believe two episodes regarding the Eastern Front and the Bolshevik Revolution with footage of the IF.  They are quick clips, but rather informative.  The music, veterans's accounts, and narration by Kenneth Branagh is genious.  It really captures the 'forgotten' war.  :'(

Is this the same series that aired on the History Channel not too long ago?

TheAce1918

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 11:50:31 AM »
I'm not sure, it might have been ;)  I know what you are talking about, I saw the program and it was awesome...could very well be the very one we are discussing! ;D

Offline historylover

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Writer and Editor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 05:17:48 AM »
I missed the first part so I hope that I will see the second one. I hope that it does come out on DVD soon, because I'm very interested
in the Revolution.

Best,
Lisa
www.bookaddiction.blogspot.com

Offline Imperial.Opal

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 10:59:36 PM »
 For more information on the Admirals of the Red Baltic Fleet, I like to thank Mike in the Militaria thread of the Forum. where it is available.

Alixz

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 09:53:45 AM »
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:03:29 AM by Alixz »

Offline historylover

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Writer and Editor
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 06:32:49 PM »
Did you find out more, Imperial Opal? Someone else said that this story wasn't true.

Thank you for the links, Alisx.

Alixz

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 08:31:23 AM »
On the DVD: World War I in Colour is presented on two discs with three episodes on each disc. The modern interview clips look and sound immaculate, while the historical footage varies from very poor to quite good. Even so, the picture resolution is not helped by discarding a third of the original images and stretching what remains to widescreen. The budget spent on colourisation would have been better used to restore the often very scratchy black-and-white film, and to pay for an orchestra to rerecord the score, which is realised with a clichéd palette of preset electronic samples.

Both DVDs reproduce the same general background facts, timeline and 20 biographies as static text screens. Disc One has a 15-minute behind-the-scenes feature in which producer Philip Nugus and director Jonathan Martin justify the colourisation. Disc Two offers Tactics & Strategy, which at 52 minutes amounts to a whole seventh programme, mixing archive footage with new computer graphics to illustrate in detail 13 specific aspects of the conflict. Presented in 4:3 ratio this is the most creative, original and rewarding part of the entire package. --Gary S Dalkin

Synopsis
This disc features over six hours of rare footage from World War 1 which has been painstakingly colourised by over 400 technicians over a period of five months. The resulting documentary attempts to give new relevance to the reality and the horror of the Great War. Narrated by Kenneth Branagh.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=world+war+i+in+colour

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 01:30:47 PM »
Must be interesting! For a moment I thought it was the one I recently got, this:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Great-War-DVD-2006-3-Disc-Set-/51082727

Unfortunately I couldn't find it on the IMDB.com!
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now it’s all clothes with no girls. Pity.''