The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 19, 2014, 05:10:39 PM
462902 Posts in 9007 Topics by 14527 Members
Latest Member: Scamall
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Greek Royal Family (Moderators: LisaDavidson, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Greek royal palaces & residences
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Greek royal palaces & residences  (Read 65653 times)
Reply #90
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:57:41 PM »
Nicistratos Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 31

View Profile

My apologies if this has already been posted but it is my first time seeing an aerial view of Tatoi:

http://www.iforce.gr/press_release/images/tatoi.jpg

Joanna

Hah!The cover looks even better now!!I love the language that is written, and the photos inside...
Reply #91
« on: June 08, 2006, 01:18:32 PM »
Nicistratos Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 31

View Profile

Very interesting....

I wonder if there is actually any treasure buried there? †As many times as the Royal Family had to flee, it seems possible. †And one of the suspects was an officer there, maybe he had inside information....

Well,they've heard wrong!!!The treasure was LIVING there!!
Reply #92
« on: September 05, 2006, 03:47:49 PM »
Iskenderbey Offline
Boyar
Zito o Vasileus! Posts: 240

View Profile

Part I:

My friends, today, I am happy to announce that my dream of a lifetime was finally fullfilled!
I finally found and visited Tatoi today, the royal palace of the Greek royal family.
I just had to come online and share my experience.  It was unforgettable.

When I get back to the US Ill try to write about my experience, and post my photos.

All  I can say is,,it was unbelievable!

Regards to all
Reply #93
« on: September 05, 2006, 04:04:44 PM »
amelia Offline
Graf
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 300

View Profile

Thank you so much, and yes, we will be looking forward to the photographs.  Did you find it very delapidated? What is it now, a museum?

Amelia
Reply #94
« on: September 17, 2006, 10:29:59 AM »
gleb Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

Part I:

My friends, today, I am happy to announce that my dream of a lifetime was finally fullfilled!
I finally found and visited Tatoi today, the royal palace of the Greek royal family.
I just had to come online and share my experience.  It was unforgettable.

When I get back to the US Ill try to write about my experience, and post my photos.

All  I can say is,,it was unbelievable!

Regards to all

Oh, I cannot wait anymore! Wink

Please get back soon
Reply #95
« on: October 02, 2006, 09:33:59 AM »
Ada Offline

View Profile

I too would love to see these photos!  My question is: where is the royal cemetery in relation to the palace?  Is it possible for people to visit the graves of Queen Sophie etc.? 
Reply #96
« on: October 11, 2006, 02:37:52 AM »
AKIOU Offline
I Love YaBB 2! Posts: 2

View Profile

I found this relatively recent article (in Greek - 15/11/05) that has photos of the Tatoi grounds as they are today. Apparently the Greek Ministry of Culture is trying to find the funds to fully restore the gounds, which are currently in a sorry state.

AKIOU
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:34:18 AM by Svetabel » Logged
Reply #97
« on: October 11, 2006, 02:55:35 AM »
AKIOU Offline
I Love YaBB 2! Posts: 2

View Profile

I do not think that it is possible for a visitor to visit the summer palace of Tatoi as as far as I know they is restoration work going on and they are still cataloguing what was found inside.

To compensate here is another site with a few pictures from Tatoi:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Greece/Attica/Attiki/Tatoi

AKIOU
Reply #98
« on: October 11, 2006, 11:27:13 AM »
gleb Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

thanks so much for this link!
Reply #99
« on: October 13, 2006, 11:32:44 PM »
Iskenderbey Offline
Boyar

View Profile

I do not think that it is possible for a visitor to visit the summer palace of Tatoi as as far as I know they is restoration work going on and they are still cataloguing what was found inside.

To compensate here is another site with a few pictures from Tatoi:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Greece/Attica/Attiki/Tatoi

AKIOU

Sorry for my delay, but ever since I got back from my trip to Greece I have been trying to settle into a new job and various other personal matters.

I personally visited Tatoi twice in September, and I was not the only visitor, as there are many bicyclists roaming around as well as hikers/walkers.
Secondly, as far as I could tell, there was no restoration work going on.  If there was any, it probably lasted 2 weeks,in classical greek fashion.
Will post my personal pics this weekend,
thanks
Reply #100
« on: October 14, 2006, 03:20:33 PM »
Clemence Offline
Graf

View Profile

Hi, I visited Tatoi for the very first time last May. No works seen, all buildings were in a total mess. Found particularly interesting the swimming-pool in the back of the main house. Nature is so very beautiful also.

There's something I want to ask. Some years ago, there was an article in a greek magazine about Tatoi. Thought there was something said anout an underground corridor connecting two buildings there and there was also a foto of it, semi-destroyed from water. But when I was there and talked about it to one of the ''guardians'' he loughed at me and said surely he would have heard of it, but never did. Does any of you ever heard of it?

'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now itís all clothes with no girls. Pity.''
Reply #101
« on: October 18, 2006, 02:07:31 PM »
Iskenderbey Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Hi, I visited Tatoi for the very first time last May. No works seen, all buildings were in a total mess. Found particularly interesting the swimming-pool in the back of the main house. Nature is so very beautiful also.

There's something I want to ask. Some years ago, there was an article in a greek magazine about Tatoi. Thought there was something said anout an underground corridor connecting two buildings there and there was also a foto of it, semi-destroyed from water. But when I was there and talked about it to one of the ''guardians'' he loughed at me and said surely he would have heard of it, but never did. Does any of you ever heard of it?

Clemence,

I bought a two-volume book in Greece, translated "Timeline of Tatoi", a work chronolizing the history of Tatoi up to the present day.
In this book, it mentions that there was in fact an underground passage between the main palace and the kitchens, which are right across from it.  Apparently some looters got in through the kitchen and got into the palace via this underground passage.

Regards
Reply #102
« on: October 19, 2006, 11:31:00 AM »
Clemence Offline
Graf

View Profile

Thank you very much. Would it be too much to ask for the title of the book in Greek? I am in Athens and I hope I can get it. Also, if there's anything you'd need from Athens, I'd be glad to be of help.

Francesca.

PS: After Acropolis, again I have a proof of how ignorant about the places they have to know well are some people in Greece. I'm even more ashamed  Sad
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:49:39 AM by Clemence » Logged

'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now itís all clothes with no girls. Pity.''
Reply #103
« on: October 21, 2006, 08:46:34 AM »
gleb Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

I bought a two-volume book in Greece, translated "Timeline of Tatoi", a work chronolizing the history of Tatoi up to the present day.
In this book,

PLEASE, could you post something? Photos, plans infos. Everything is wellcome! Smiley

And what about your impressions, your photos etc, etc.

Thanks so much in advance

Gleb
Reply #104
« on: October 23, 2006, 12:57:58 PM »
Iskenderbey Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Thank you very much. Would it be too much to ask for the title of the book in Greek? I am in Athens and I hope I can get it. Also, if there's anything you'd need from Athens, I'd be glad to be of help.

Francesca.

PS: After Acropolis, again I have a proof of how ignorant about the places they have to know well are some people in Greece. I'm even more ashamed  Sad

Book is XPONIKO TOY TATOIOY, check with Leader Books.  Among the branches I know about, they have one in the area of Kipseli (where I bought mine, on Fokionos Negri street), and also at Agia Paraskevi (Agiou Ioannou Street).  It is quite pricey though, 150 Euro, but worth it if you can afford  it.

Regards
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: