Author Topic: Greek royal palaces & residences  (Read 85430 times)

Offline Nicistratos

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Greek royal palaces & residences
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2006, 02:57:41 PM »
My apologies if this has already been posted but it is my first time seeing an aerial view of Tatoi:

http://www.iforce.gr/press_release/images/tatoi.jpg

Joanna

Hah!The cover looks even better now!!I love the language that is written, and the photos inside...

Offline Nicistratos

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2006, 03:18:32 PM »
Very interesting....

I wonder if there is actually any treasure buried there? †As many times as the Royal Family had to flee, it seems possible. †And one of the suspects was an officer there, maybe he had inside information....

Well,they've heard wrong!!!The treasure was LIVING there!!

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2006, 05:47:49 PM »
Part I:

My friends, today, I am happy to announce that my dream of a lifetime was finally fullfilled!
I finally found and visited Tatoi today, the royal palace of the Greek royal family.
I just had to come online and share my experience.  It was unforgettable.

When I get back to the US Ill try to write about my experience, and post my photos.

All  I can say is,,it was unbelievable!

Regards to all

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2006, 06:04:44 PM »
Thank you so much, and yes, we will be looking forward to the photographs.  Did you find it very delapidated? What is it now, a museum?

Amelia

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2006, 12:29:59 PM »
Part I:

My friends, today, I am happy to announce that my dream of a lifetime was finally fullfilled!
I finally found and visited Tatoi today, the royal palace of the Greek royal family.
I just had to come online and share my experience.  It was unforgettable.

When I get back to the US Ill try to write about my experience, and post my photos.

All  I can say is,,it was unbelievable!

Regards to all

Oh, I cannot wait anymore! ;)

Please get back soon

Offline Ada

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2006, 11:33:59 AM »
I too would love to see these photos!  My question is: where is the royal cemetery in relation to the palace?  Is it possible for people to visit the graves of Queen Sophie etc.? 

Offline AKIOU

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2006, 04:37:52 AM »
I found this relatively recent article (in Greek - 15/11/05) that has photos of the Tatoi grounds as they are today. Apparently the Greek Ministry of Culture is trying to find the funds to fully restore the gounds, which are currently in a sorry state.

AKIOU
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:34:18 AM by Svetabel »

Offline AKIOU

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2006, 04:55:35 AM »
I do not think that it is possible for a visitor to visit the summer palace of Tatoi as as far as I know they is restoration work going on and they are still cataloguing what was found inside.

To compensate here is another site with a few pictures from Tatoi:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Greece/Attica/Attiki/Tatoi

AKIOU

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2006, 01:27:13 PM »
thanks so much for this link!

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2006, 01:32:44 AM »
I do not think that it is possible for a visitor to visit the summer palace of Tatoi as as far as I know they is restoration work going on and they are still cataloguing what was found inside.

To compensate here is another site with a few pictures from Tatoi:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Greece/Attica/Attiki/Tatoi

AKIOU

Sorry for my delay, but ever since I got back from my trip to Greece I have been trying to settle into a new job and various other personal matters.

I personally visited Tatoi twice in September, and I was not the only visitor, as there are many bicyclists roaming around as well as hikers/walkers.
Secondly, as far as I could tell, there was no restoration work going on.  If there was any, it probably lasted 2 weeks,in classical greek fashion.
Will post my personal pics this weekend,
thanks

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2006, 05:20:33 PM »
Hi, I visited Tatoi for the very first time last May. No works seen, all buildings were in a total mess. Found particularly interesting the swimming-pool in the back of the main house. Nature is so very beautiful also.

There's something I want to ask. Some years ago, there was an article in a greek magazine about Tatoi. Thought there was something said anout an underground corridor connecting two buildings there and there was also a foto of it, semi-destroyed from water. But when I was there and talked about it to one of the ''guardians'' he loughed at me and said surely he would have heard of it, but never did. Does any of you ever heard of it?
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now itís all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2006, 04:07:31 PM »
Hi, I visited Tatoi for the very first time last May. No works seen, all buildings were in a total mess. Found particularly interesting the swimming-pool in the back of the main house. Nature is so very beautiful also.

There's something I want to ask. Some years ago, there was an article in a greek magazine about Tatoi. Thought there was something said anout an underground corridor connecting two buildings there and there was also a foto of it, semi-destroyed from water. But when I was there and talked about it to one of the ''guardians'' he loughed at me and said surely he would have heard of it, but never did. Does any of you ever heard of it?

Clemence,

I bought a two-volume book in Greece, translated "Timeline of Tatoi", a work chronolizing the history of Tatoi up to the present day.
In this book, it mentions that there was in fact an underground passage between the main palace and the kitchens, which are right across from it.  Apparently some looters got in through the kitchen and got into the palace via this underground passage.

Regards

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2006, 01:31:00 PM »
Thank you very much. Would it be too much to ask for the title of the book in Greek? I am in Athens and I hope I can get it. Also, if there's anything you'd need from Athens, I'd be glad to be of help.

Francesca.

PS: After Acropolis, again I have a proof of how ignorant about the places they have to know well are some people in Greece. I'm even more ashamed  :(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 01:49:39 PM by Clemence »
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now itís all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2006, 10:46:34 AM »

I bought a two-volume book in Greece, translated "Timeline of Tatoi", a work chronolizing the history of Tatoi up to the present day.
In this book,

PLEASE, could you post something? Photos, plans infos. Everything is wellcome! :)

And what about your impressions, your photos etc, etc.

Thanks so much in advance

Gleb

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2006, 02:57:58 PM »
Thank you very much. Would it be too much to ask for the title of the book in Greek? I am in Athens and I hope I can get it. Also, if there's anything you'd need from Athens, I'd be glad to be of help.

Francesca.

PS: After Acropolis, again I have a proof of how ignorant about the places they have to know well are some people in Greece. I'm even more ashamed  :(

Book is XPONIKO TOY TATOIOY, check with Leader Books.  Among the branches I know about, they have one in the area of Kipseli (where I bought mine, on Fokionos Negri street), and also at Agia Paraskevi (Agiou Ioannou Street).  It is quite pricey though, 150 Euro, but worth it if you can afford  it.

Regards