Author Topic: Tobolsk house  (Read 42794 times)

Offline Namarolf

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Tobolsk house
« on: April 11, 2004, 12:12:40 PM »
I know that the Ipatiev house was destroyed -but what about the Tobolsk house? Does it still exists? After all, "they" lived there a longer time than in Ekaterinburg.

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
Re: Tobolsk house
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 12:32:21 PM »
The house in Tobolk still exist:you can see it in the Kurth's book "Tsar" page 170.

Offline Namarolf

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 12:39:59 PM »
Merci- do you know if there is some museum in there, or what they are now using the building for? Has anyone in this forum ever visited it?

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 06:30:03 PM »
A friend of mine who visited 4-5 years ago told me there were plans to turn it into a museum; a lot of the furnishings left from 1918 were stored at a nearby convent or at the monastery-I forget which, and so plans called for restoration of the house as it was when the Imperial Family was there.  I've since heard they also planned to move the Tobolsk Romanov archives-a huge amount of material-there once this is done, but haven't heard further word.

Greg King

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 07:09:16 PM »
Ive seen somewhere in the web photographs taken by William Craft Brumfield of the interiors and the house was used as a museum, with the rooms full of things recreating the aspect they had in 1918. However i do not know if the things were original to the house.

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 05:47:11 AM »
A friend of mine have just brought to me a book with title: "With Tsar Family in Tobolsk" written by Pankratov ( revolutionaire, as I understand) and published in Leningrad in 1925 year.
Now I am going to read it.
If anyone read this book?

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 09:06:32 AM »
No, I've never heard of it but it sounds fascinating! Please. let us know what it's about ;D

Offline bernard_timbal

• View Profile
    • Romanov Memorial
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 10:09:23 AM »

View of the house of governor in Tobolsk taken during Romanov captivity. People at balconi is one of otmaa great duchess. (photo from Gilliard Book)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 10:14:41 AM »
Is there a floorplan of the Tobolsk house posted somewhere ?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline La_Mashka

• Boyar
  • Kukla
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 11:19:37 AM »
umm

thats an excellent picture

I was surprised by the quantity of guards walking on the outside of the property.....  :o
Tishie mushi kot na krushie

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 12:21:53 PM »
Thanks for that pic! I wonder what they thought...stepping out onto the balcony and seeing all those armed guards..

Offline Candice

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 01:12:17 PM »
Was there a tunnel undergroung linking the Tobolsk manor IF stayed in and the house that the servants stayed in in Toblsk? Would anyone know?

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 11:53:26 PM »
I have read the Pankratov's book  :
this is good. Whithout much ideology. I seems that he died before it was printed.
Pankratov was the Narodovolets (Terrorist Organization of 1860th who arranged the murder of Alexandr II).
He was in Siberia exile for a long time. But then he became geologist and seemed to be very intelligent man.
He was appointed by Kerensky to be the comissaire (or comissar) of the guard of IF in Tobolsk.
He was replaced by the Boluysheviks then.
According to the memoirs , he liked Nikolay and girls very much. He disliked Alexandra and people who served the Family ( Family brought about 40 people with them in Tobolsk). He wrote in details about some habits of IF, about girls (his main statement that they were very good but with uneducated completely) ,about the interior of Tobolsk house
, about that every day he received a lot of dirty letters in which a lot of people wanted to kill the IF - hundreds and hundreds letters with the insults of IF etc. Anyway he never showed it to the Family.
Because of those letters he could not let the Family walk on the town and outside the town. (Personally he thought that he could allow them more free, but he was afraid of those lives).
He wrote that the Tsar had no attention to escape and girls did not want to go to abroad. They wanted to go in "more far and deep Siberia and live there calmly".

Of course , he did not write in clearly, but I felt from this book that the IF could escape when February Revolution has just occured . Of course for this he had to make a effort (many guards was there) , but for the couple ofweeks (guards) was not controlled a lot.

Offline Mark_Byron

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 05:52:34 PM »
Thank you, Bernard, for the photo. Where did you find it? It really shows the size of the outdoor space the IF were allowed to indulge in(so to speak) while they were there. Which building shown in the photo, do you think, is the one where they are on the slanted roof?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 06:00:21 PM »
An excellent question ! I could only imagine that the famous "roof" pictures would be from the [small] garden suide not visible in the picture. Of course this photo has been gone over in miniscule detail thousands of times but that is my guess.
Also, a dozen or so guards does not seem so many for such a large perimeter. Notice how vacant the large inner court is ? Nary a soul it seems. The GDs looking out to no one. Must have been quite a change from pervious balcony vistas for them.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.