Author Topic: General Pyotr Wrangel  (Read 24203 times)

Offline solnitsa

• View Profile
General Pyotr Wrangel
« on: July 28, 2009, 05:57:23 AM »
Hi - I live in Brussels and want to find the house where General Wrangel died in 1928. Can somebody help me to find the adress?
Solnitsa
Brussels, Belgium
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:31:33 AM by Alixz »

Alixz

Re: General Pyotr Wrangel
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:29:42 AM »
You can do a lot a research on General Wrangel on Google or any other search engine.  I got a lot of hits when I just put in General Wrangel.

Alixz
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:32:45 AM by Alixz »

Offline solnitsa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:18:14 PM »
True, and that's what I 've tried. But the detail of the general's adress in Brussels is not mentioned. Therefore I try this method.

solnitsa

Alixz

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »
I hope someone here will be able to help you.  That is why I moved the thread to this section.  I don't know that the Discussion Thread would have yielded anything.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:05:18 AM »
General Wrangel lived (and died) at his apartments on avenue Bel-Air, 17 ( near Bois de la Cambre). Next to his house was a Russian Ballet school.

Offline solnitsa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:09:31 AM »
That was very fast...Thank you for your help. Do you think it makes sense to dig up the police files from 1928 (unless the baron's death was processed as a natural one) or has everything been published about the question?

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 12:37:32 AM »
The Russian sources are convinced that Wrangel was poisoned, but the official cause of the death was tuberculous.
The digging up of the files makes sense if you are really interested in all the circumstances of Wrangel's death.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 03:34:59 PM »
The Russian sources are convinced that Wrangel was poisoned, but the official cause of the death was tuberculous.
The digging up of the files makes sense if you are really interested in all the circumstances of Wrangel's death.

I am not convinced that the General was poisoned, but I do suspect Stalin in many deaths that were thought to be natural. Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich, for instance. I would not be surprised if he had Wrangel killed, as this man killed many of his own friends and family.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 02:31:45 AM »

I am not convinced that the General was poisoned, but I do suspect Stalin in many deaths that were thought to be natural. Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich, for instance. I would not be surprised if he had Wrangel killed, as this man killed many of his own friends and family.

Indeed, General Wrangel's own family firmly believe that he ingested poison.

Cause of death noted on an "official" soviet document commonly masked the truth.  Lenin's "official cause of death" comes to mind.

Scholars in Russia are presently hypothesizing today whether comrade Stalin was poisoned or not. 

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 03:32:15 AM »
Was General Wrangel's death sudden or not? The most obvious cause of sudden death from TB is a lung haemorrhage (this is what happened to my father's elder brother in 1932, so much the same time). I don't know whether there are any poisons which would mimic the effects of TB - had he been diagnosed with TB before his death? Of course, it's perfectly possible that he could have had TB but died of something else.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 04:52:24 AM »
Was General Wrangel's death sudden or not? .

His premature death was certainly not a foreseeable event.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Petr

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 12:42:38 PM »
"Indeed, General Wrangel's own family firmly believe that he ingested poison."

I am a new member to this discussion group and in reading the posts on this topic regarding my Grandfather I thought I would set forth those facts that have led the family to believe that his death may not have been due to natural causes. At the time of his death as was indicated in an earlier post he was living in Brussels at the house at Ave, Bel-Air. Apart from his family, living with him was his bat man (Alexander Yudenich). One day there suddenly appeared at the house Alexander's brother who remained behind in Russia after the Civil War and was supposedly a seaman in the Soviet merchant marine. His ship had docked in Rotterdam.  He spoke no French only Russian. He left the next day after his arrival and six months later my Grandfather died. What has always concerned the family were these facts: at that time it was highly unusual that Soviet sailors were permitted liberty without being members of a group yet he was apparently granted individual liberty and appeared at the house by himself; he spoke no French yet was able to make his way to Brussels from Rotterdam (did someone take him?); it was unclear how he found the address where my Grandfather and his family were living (from whom did he receive help?); my Grandfather's death occurred with great rapidity thereafter (there was a diagnosis of TB but the rapid onset of debilitating fevers and death seem to argue in favor of something much more virulent); the two Generals that succeeded my Grandfather as heads of the ROV (Gens. Kutepov and Miller) were both abducted by the NKVD from Paris (cf. The Hidden Conspirators, by G. Vassilchikov); and it is known that the Bolsheviks were experimenting with biological weapons at the time.  To the contrary it should be said that my Grandmother never believed this possibility and, further, that inquiries on this question in the KGB Archives shortly after they were first open by Volkogonov at the behest of my Uncle proved fruitless. However, the subsequent Kutepov and Miller abductions and the questions surrounding this brief visit would seem to tilt the possibility towards Bolshevik action rather than natural causes.     

Rumpo non plecto

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 12:03:41 PM »
I just received Wrangel's book yesterday and haven't had a chance to open it.  I am looking forward to reading it and will have some questions,  because Bear always does  :>).

Welcome to the forum.

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Petr

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »
Which book are you referring to ?  Is it my Grandfather's memoirs (there is an out of print, abridged version published by Robert Speller called Always with Honor ). There was an earlier edition published in English in the late 20s or early 30s. I should tell you that there is a new biography being published by Anthony Kroener which we are awaiting with some anticipation. He has done an amazing amount of research including visiting our old estates, etc. My Uncle Alexis also wrote a biography of his father which is well done and which contains some great photographs.

Rumpo non plecto

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 03:23:09 AM »
Is Anthony Kroener's book being published in English?

Ann