Author Topic: Need Identification on uniform and medals  (Read 24411 times)

Offline wong

• View Profile
Need Identification on uniform and medals
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:54:57 PM »
Hi all, I have this picture of my great grandfather and I'd just would like to know more about him. I know he fought in the white army.
I want to know what position he had in the imperial army and what medals he was awarded.

Here's the picture:

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/a1133304/IMG.jpg

Your help will be much appreciated.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: Need Identification on uniform and medals
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 02:49:26 AM »
The man on the photo is a senior cossack NCO, apparently of one of Asian cossack hosts (Orenburg, Siberian, Transbaikal etc.). The rank is podkhorunzhiy - more or less equivalent to sergeant-major. The large neck medal is "For distinguished service", the breast medals are commemorative medals, one for the 300th anniversary of Poltava battle, the second is difficult to identify. In any case, they aren't individual awards. The badges at the right side are all for marksmanship - the guy probably was a shooting instructor. The watch - the chain hanging from one of the badges - is most probably also an award, not unrare for a soldier of his rank.

Offline Amely

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 01:50:08 AM »
HI,

Nice to see that you got some help here with these pages. I am sorry as I don't have a picture where the man wears all his order medals and badges.

Do you have all those tiny thing and the uniform with hat left? If you have then what are you going to do with them. I put the badges and medals of order in frames so that nobody throws them away. I mean that coming generations are not interested, they just throw everything away.

Should a donation into the local museum be better than throwing away as some unnecessary things, rubbish and waste?

Offline mishaxenia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:00:51 PM »
This uniform is Russian? which order? the photo  is of Saint Petersburg. Thank you

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 12:44:17 AM »
Student at S.-Petersburg 5th Gymnasium.

Offline mishaxenia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 03:51:23 AM »
Student at S.-Petersburg 5th Gymnasium.
this image found with to photo of the Imperial Family, is possible that the gymnasium was attended from the sons of the grand duke? Dimitri Pavlovich has attended? the child is similar.  Thank you

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:25:23 AM »
Impossible. All young grand dukes were educated at home. At an older age they usually received some military education or (the Constantinovichs) attended the Imperial Lyceum. None of them had ever attended a gymnasium.

Offline mishaxenia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 04:26:29 PM »

You recognize this uniform? because a woman? Thanks

Offline David Pritchard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »
The lady in question is wearing a uniform of a Hussar, that is a light cavalryman.

Four ladies were Colonels-in-Chief of Russian Hussar Regiments:

5th Alexandriiski Hussar Regt of Her Majesty the Sovereign Empress Alexandra Feodorovna
15th Ukrainski Hussar Regt of HIH Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna
Grodno Hussar Guards Regt - The German Empress Augusta Viktoria
3rd Elizvetgratski Hussar Regt of HIH Grand Duchess Olga Nicholaevna

Offline mishaxenia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »
Thanks for the answer. These four women were Colonels-in-Chief ,but which other women wore the uniform? also noble women? the woman of the photo is of Odessa who can be? a noble woman ? For kaiserin Augusta Victoria I have seen a photo of the daughter in Hussar uniform

Offline mishaxenia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »
I have already posted  this image of Count Alexei , son of GD Alexei, Please you recognize the uniform ? In a Russian site I have read that it was voluntary in the Sumy Dragoon Regiment .( is exact the name?)   Then it was "Master of the Horse " near the grand duke Serge.  It was important the assignment of " Master of the Horse"? Thanks

http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/51261/2262551530105221653S500x500Q85.jpg
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:04:36 PM by mishaxenia »

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:32:20 PM »
Count Alexis Belevsky-Zhukovsky indeed joined the 3rd Sumsky Dragoon Regiment as a volunteer (on your photo he is wearing the undress uniform worn between 1897-1908). In 1904 he became aide-de-camp to Grand Duke Serge. As for his appointment as Master of the Horse, it wasn’t at Grand Duke Serge’s Court but rather at the « Highest Court » . There were some 40 masters of the Horse at the Imperial Court, most of them holding honorary positions. Master of the Horse was a 2nd rank Court appointment, equivalent to a lieutenant-general in the Army.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:42:48 PM by Daniel Briere »
Daniel Briere

Offline mishaxenia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 07:53:29 AM »
Many thanks , Daniel, for the info.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
Alexei Belevsky-Zhukovsky certainly bore a resemblance to his paternal family - the shape of his face in that picture is rather remimiscent of his uncle Sergei Alexandrovich.

The regiment he belonged to was in fact the 1st Sumsky Hussars. They were dragoons from 1883-1908(?) when the entire line cavalry were converted to dragoons, but from then on resumed their old titles and uniform but continued to be equipped as dragoons (with lances as well as sabres).

If you can get hold of it, 'Russian Hussar' by Vladimir Littauer is written by a Sumsky Hussar officer who was commissioned in 1913 and swerved with them until they were disbanded in 1918. As I recall, he doesn't mention Alexei Belevsky-Zhukovsky. Littauer settled in America and ran a riding school in New York.

Ann

Offline mishaxenia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 12:39:43 PM »
in research on the history of an exile Russian family I found this photo, I try to identify. I would like to help because I do not know the history of uniforms  and the image of the medals in not clear. If it is the grandfather of the "russian branch "of the family, I just know that it was marshal of nobility, magistrate, He was awarded the Order of St. Vladimir and St. Anne. Thanks
http://imageshack.us/a/img440/3407/8hh2.jpg
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:46:35 PM by mishaxenia »