Author Topic: Chesme Palace  (Read 14847 times)

Jacob Stuart

Chesme Palace
« on: April 12, 2004, 05:27:24 AM »
I know that the Chesme Palace in St Petersburg was modelled on an English castle but does anyone have any more info about the place?

Thomas_A.

Re: Chesme Palace
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 11:32:48 AM »

Chesme (Tschesme) was built between 1774 and 1780 by the russian architekt Jurij Velten (1730-1801) in order of Catherine the Great.
It was built as a "stage" for the courtpeople when moving from Winterpalace to Zarskoje Selo.

Tschesme is Velten's masterpiece for it was kind of arcitectual Avantgarde.
The palace is not very well preserved but the church which is unique.

Hope that helps you. I quoted from "Imperial Palaces of Russia" by Prince Micheal of Greece

Offline londo954

• Graf
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 03:06:57 AM »
There is a wonderful service called THE FROG SERVICE which some pieces can be seen on the Hermitage website. The were made for Catherine to use at the Palace the Hermitage also has a series a marble reliefs of the Tsars that were made for teh main ballroom

Offline londo954

• Graf
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 04:27:51 AM »
Kennett's book "The Palaces of Leningrad" talks a little of the Palace and contains a interior layout. I know the Great Hall resembled a medieval Hall and contained relief sculptures of all teh Tsars up to Catherine (Presumably excluding Peter III) I understand the reliefs were salvaged and placed in the hermitage. I have yet to find a photgraph of teh Palace but as far as I know it still exists. It should be noted that teh body of Alexander I lay in state here on its way back to St. PEtersburg for the funeral, as well as his wifes later on when she died.

Offline Dimitri

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 01:11:56 PM »
What was the palace actually used for? The tsars had so many palaces they could not have used everyone of them!
England

Offline londo954

• Graf
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 12:36:05 AM »
This Palace was used for teh same purpose as Strelna which was a stopover point on the way to Peterhof. Chesme wasa stopover point for the court when it travelled from St. Petersburg to Tsarskoe Selo. Remember the railway connection was not until the reign of Nicholas I. As I understand it it was used by members of the Tsar's family until the revolution. I am not sure who though.

NAAOTMA

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 02:05:17 PM »
Wedgwood China did a limited edition of the delightful "Frog Service" a couple of years ago-dessert plates and lidded little chocolate cups and very small dishes. All done in velvet lined presentation boxes. I was lucky enough to have my very thoughtful husband give me six of the dessert plates as a birthday present. (Of course I dragged him to the counter and pointed!) Melissa K.

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 02:41:59 PM »
I found a nice picture of the church.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/9682/photo23.html

By the way, thank you, whoever you are, for translating some sections of this site in to spanish.

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 08:54:36 PM »
I am lost on where Chesme is located. I must have passed it from St. Petersburg to Tsarskoye Selo and not understand what it was. Is it near Pulkovo?

Joanna

alixaannencova

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 07:26:52 AM »
I am hopin,g to find data about the palace at Chesme. I did find drawings and lots of data before but can't fond them now on the inernet! Any prompts would be hugely appreciated!

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 01:33:17 PM »
Joanna,
You may have seen the Chesme Church as you passed it on the way to Tsarskoye Selo or on the way to the airport.  It is along Moskovsky pr but one street over on Lensoveta.  just after the Park Pobedy Metro station.  I think the cross street is Ul. BeLykuna.  I never noticed the palace on the way to T.S. either, and I don't remember seeing  the Chesme Church either.  The church, of course, is the famous pink and white neo-gothic building that I am sure you have seen pictures of.  But you must have passed close by it as I did without knowing how close I had come to it!

Originally, the palce was the Kekerekeksinen, or Frog Marsh Palace designed by Yuriy Veltin areun 1774-77 and it was a staging post for Catherine the Great on her way to Tsarskoye Selo. The Church, also designed by Veltin was built between 1777-80.  I believe the palace is now used as elderly housing and the Church, once a museum, has be reopened as a church.

Bob G

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 12:47:55 PM »
Since 1947 the palace belongs to a defence industry-associated school, currently named the St.-Petersburg Aerospace Instrumentation University.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 09:17:04 AM »
A series of nice photos, including Chesme church and Chesme palace.   

Offline GDNastya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 06:20:44 AM »
http://[/img]

http://[/img]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 06:26:23 AM by GDNastya »