Author Topic: Chesme Palace  (Read 14842 times)

Offline Gabriel Newfield

• View Profile
Re: Chesme Palace
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 03:02:10 PM »
Have just seen the excellent set of photos posted by Mike on 14 October 2006.   They were taken by Peter Sobolev`s "Wandering Camera", and are  much the best photos I have seen of the OUTSIDE of the Palace.   But what about the inside?  Does anybody know of any images - paintings, drawings, engravings, photographs - of the inside, at ANY period (18, 19, 20 century)? 
Gabriel

Offline M_Breheny

• View Profile
Re: Chesme Palace
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 04:13:15 PM »
When we were in St. Petrsburg in July 2005 we hired a guide and driver to take us out to Tsarskoe Selo to visit the Alexander Palace.  On the way back to the city the guide asked our driver to stop at a beautiful red and white striped church.  To be honest, we didn't even get get the name of the church, and it was only after comparing my photographs with illustrations of churches in the area that I realized we had visited Chesme Church.  It is indeed lovely.  We did get inside but because there was a religious service taking place we couldn't really look around the interior.   In other words, the church is still being used as a church.  I am sorry to say, however,  that I didn't realize there was a palace nearby, but at least we saw the church. 

Mary