Author Topic: Derevenko the Sailor-nanny  (Read 54238 times)

David

Derevenko the Sailor-nanny
« on: February 15, 2004, 06:45:46 PM »
I know that Nagorny was taken out with Sedniev and shot shortly after arriving with the family in  Ekatrinberg, but aside from Annas account of Derevenko ordering the Tsarevich to perform menial duties, he completely disappears from history. Does anyone know what happened to the heirs fair-weather after he was dismissed by the royal family>

Offline ptitchka

• Oblazhayu Tsesaryevicha Aleksiya!
    • View Profile
Re: Derevenko the Sailor-nanny
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 11:20:20 AM »
There may be some clues to this in 'Romanov Autumn' by Charlotte Zeepvat, contained in the footnotes to the chapter 'The Lost Tsar'. Derevenko was supposed to have been concerned about a suitcase sent to Tobolsk that contained one of Alexei's icons and a new suit meant for the Tsarevich to wear, and inquired about it - but I would have to read 'Le Tsarevitch - Enfant Martyr' by Eugenie de Grece, to find out more.

Derevenko is reported to have died in a place called Tifa in Russia in 1921.  (From the book 'Tsesarevich' Vagrius Press, Moscow, 1998 ).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Pravoslavnaya »

Janet Whitcomb

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 08:41:33 PM »
My friend Vladimir, who is a tour guide in Yalta, wrote to me some time ago about having a descendant of Derevenko on his tour!  I will write to him about this, though it will take some time to receive the answer, as Vladimir does not have e-mail.

David

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 07:19:33 PM »
 Thanks for the replies! I wonder if I would boast If I were related to such a cad!

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 10:48:21 PM »
That is the question, isn't it? Was he indeed a cad? I am curious about his fate as well.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 10:00:22 AM »
Knowing that Derevenkoīs sons were often playmates to Alexey, i wonder what did become of them and if they wrote any kind of memoirs....

Antonio.

davidm

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 07:36:31 PM »
Was he a cad> I would venture to say that any man who could turn on his charge when the chips were down is every bit a cad. Look at the loyal Guillard who went to the end of the line with the family. Or Botkin, who went to his death.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 08:32:37 PM »
From the outlook that we have all read, yes, you are correct. Is there, however, another side to this man's story?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline Louise

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 08:38:53 PM »
Iave just re-read Alexis's expenses for the year 1910 and Derevenko was paid 120 rubles a year. What would that work out to in American dollars? That doesn't seem to be very high of a wage for a man entrusted to protect the young boy's life. Of course this is absolutley no excuse for deserting the child and his family. I too wonder what happened to him and his sons.

Louise
The sign of a sick mind is studying for a final exam and thinking it's the

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 09:00:39 PM »
It is not a huge sum of money. The modern equivalent is about $12,000 US...but do no forget that food, lodging, medical care and a pension were included on top of that sum.

Offline frankie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Alexei Nicholaievich Romanov
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 09:13:50 PM »
Maybe he was just worried about his kids. They were younger than Alexei and maybe he was scared something could hapend to them if he was with the Romanovs and probably he didnīt want to leave with out his family.

Offline Louise

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 09:47:34 AM »
True that it maybe Deverenko was worried about his family, however he should have showed loyalty to the family and espcially to Alexis. He was in fact brought into the rarified world of the Imperial Family and trusted with the life of their heir.

Would anyone know if in fact Deverenko was seen ordering Alexis around and being rude to him after the abdication or is that yet another rumour/myth?

Louise

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 10:43:20 AM »
Hello Louise,
That scene was in fact seen by Anna Virubova, and described it in her memoirs. I find this behaviour totally unjustifiable, no matter if he caerd or not for his children security. After all the imperial family had done for him is this is the lowest level this man could have come to.

Offline Louise

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 11:03:05 AM »
Thank you Antonio, for the verification and I agree with you. His actions towards the family were disgusting. In polite terms, the man was an ungrateful  cad.

Louise  

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 01:46:22 PM »
Personally, I find Vyrubova rather an untrustworthy source.  Much like Buxhoeveden. Not exactly objective.
That aside, I still tend to follow the thought that Derevenko was less than honourable. I would just like to read another perspective.