Author Topic: Derevenko the Sailor-nanny  (Read 77435 times)

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Derevenko the Sailor-nanny
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2004, 07:15:26 AM »
I´ve been years looking for this book! It must be very interesting...but not even in chapitre.com could find one...anyone could help me?
Thanks!

Janet Whitcomb

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2004, 11:17:24 AM »
I second the motion! And is this book a possible candidate for reproduction on this website?

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2004, 10:39:35 PM »
For the book to be posted on the website we need the following:

1. Copy of the book
2. Permission of the copyright holder or proof that it is not copyright protected.
3. Funding to cover our basic costs
4. Someone to do the technical work

Does anyone have a copy of the book?

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2004, 11:32:55 PM »
I do.

It's even mostly translated from when Greg and I used it for research on the FOTR.

There's definitely more work to be done on it, but if you can find out if it's in copyright, maybe we can work something out so that the AP site can have at least some of what we've got.  :-*
"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts."  -- A Piece of Good Advice

Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good. -- Henry Rollins

RobMoshein

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2004, 08:52:29 AM »
Gosh,
You guys take ALL the fun out of surprises!!
I have my own copy of Volkov, and did a full translation for Bob, which we were planning to put up for May on the Palace site, but you guys just can't WAIT for it. LOL
Give me a day or two to build the page and I'll put it up now. Penny, please feel free to let me know if you think I made any mistakes in translation from what you got.
Rob

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2004, 09:06:15 AM »
Heh.  :D

Well, Lisa DID ask!

Anyway -- we do have a boatload of old and rare titles collected between us, so if the AP has a wish list, let me know and I'll check if we have it.

Penny
"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts."  -- A Piece of Good Advice

Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good. -- Henry Rollins

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2004, 10:46:02 PM »
Guilty as charged!

Could we have a peek at your list? (She asked, inquisitively).

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2004, 09:52:42 PM »
I believe they lived in the White Tower - Kuchumov lived in their rooms... right?

Bob

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2004, 10:08:10 PM »
I suppose he lived in the "ruins" belonging to the White Tower ensemble, certenly not in the Chinese Village, as far as i know it was reserved for officials(?). The white tower´s ruins served as quarters for the servants and is being restored right now. I saw it last summer and appeared quite well.The ruins have the shape of a castle´s entrance: two towers and a big door in the middle. This building is not visible from the Alexander palace side, it´s just behind the white tower and in a lower level.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Antonio_P.Caballer »

Offline David_Newell

• Boyar
  • We shall meet again in far, far better place
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2004, 05:29:36 AM »
I think that from our time it is very hard to really know peoples motives. After all its how we respond to people that colours how we think of them. Perhaps Derevenko had upset Vyrubova at sometime. With the maelstrom of revolution all around them, who knows how they were thinking. But as for Isa I had read about her money borrowing and not all toghether trustworthy actions before. But for the life of me I can't remember where.

David Newell, London

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2004, 06:52:40 PM »
Back in 91 or 92 I think I had a wonderful day at Luton Hoo.  They let have 4-5 hours alone with Gibbe's papers and images.  There I read this letter from Gibbes to Buxhoeveden in Siberia complaining that she had taken money from a joint acount and this had put him in great difficulty.  I don't remember the exact words.  I think there was a second letter asking why she hadn't answered the first.  These must have been copies of his - or maybe they were returned to him.  I was shocked and have never been able to make sense of it.  It changed my mind about Buxhoeveden - I just don't know what she did for sure.

His Aleksey diary was there - not as much as I had hoped there might be.  It all came in a big box - I was amazed.

I also went into a big room with table tops covered with books and some photo albums.  There were a couple of albums of Imperial pictures - somelovely pictures of Nicholas and his mother when he was around 14...  there were lots of antique Russia books - I rememeber one on the anniversary of the war of 1812.

Some of the window panes were broken and there were bird droppings around the room.  It looked like no one had been in there for 30 years!!!

Does anyone have an update on the status of the Luton Hoo things?

Bob

Offline David_Newell

• Boyar
  • We shall meet again in far, far better place
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2004, 12:38:10 PM »
Luton Hoo was sold and the papers moved I just can not find out where, but leave it with me will ask a friend who does have contacts.

david Newell, London

Offline lababoc

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2006, 08:36:41 AM »
I never could understand ...why Czarina Alexandra surronded herself with  mediocre people ..none of them it seems to me had  a special talent...were well educated or well traveled..or had anything to really enrich the Empress's caracter ...for  enlightenment  .. .so to speak..  Am I wrong?

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2006, 06:34:35 AM »
I never could understand ...why Czarina Alexandra surronded herself with  mediocre people ..none of them it seems to me had  a special talent...were well educated or well traveled..or had anything to really enrich the Empress's caracter ...for  enlightenment  .. .so to speak..  Am I wrong?

The personalities that comprised Alexandra's inner circle were loyal to her.  Her staff followed her abroad to England, Germany and elsewhere as the Imperial itinerary dictated. It was a rarity that women of that class received an education beyond institutions such as the Smolnii. At least they were literate, well versed with classical European literature and the fine arts, which one must agree is an on going educational process of self-refinement. Such accomplishments can hardly be considered as mediocre.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline lababoc

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2006, 07:56:06 AM »
  Thank you i do understand your point of view..there's a saying that goes more or less like this...." Show me the company you keep and I'll tell you who you are..."    and I cannot blame other ladies of the imperial  family for disliking the Czarina  or for  not agreeing with her lifestyle .