Author Topic: Rasputin's apartment on Gorochowaja 64  (Read 39254 times)

Offline Mat_from_Poland

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Rasputin's apartment on Gorochowaja 64
« on: June 06, 2004, 02:41:56 AM »
I would like to know what happened after the revolution with Rasputin's flat on Gorochowaja 64.

If anyone has a information about current state of this place, history of it and if exist any museum there, I will be very grateful to read that.

Maybe someone have archival and current pictures and plan of this apartment??

I'm also interested about full (complete) genealogy of Rasputin's descendants and history of his family after revolution.
Best regards
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:15:05 PM by Alixz »

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: Rasputin's apartment on Gorochowaja 64
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 07:16:12 AM »

The apartment itself is shared by three not especially well-off families tremendously tired of curious Rasputin fans. The building's ground floor houses a beauty saloon unpretentiously named "Dom Rasputina" (Rasputin's House).
For those not familiar with the SPB topography: the place is strategically located on a route from Winter Palace and Police HQ (2, Gorokhovaya) to Tsarskoselsky rail station, just a few minute drive from all three. Every time the Romanovs and their courtiers traveled from the palace and its vicinity to Tsarskoye Selo and back, they had - or were able - to pass right under Rasputin's windows.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:15:51 PM by Alixz »

Offline Mat_from_Poland

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 04:25:06 AM »
Dear mike
thanks for this very interesting informations. Im so happy that I discovered this forum and people like you. I will be glad to know Rasputini's family tree and history of his family after revolution.
Best regards Mat_from_Poland

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 07:06:29 AM »
Actually, Rasputin's flat faces inward, with windows on one side to the first court, and on the other to the second court-it doesn't overlook Gorokhovaya.

Mat-somewhere on this board I posted some descriptions from my visit to Rasputin's flat in 1992, describing the layout of the rooms and whatnot-not sure which thread it was on, but if you search you should be able to find some more detail about the interior.

Greg King

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 08:27:10 AM »
Actually, Rasputin's flat faces inward... it doesn't overlook Gorokhovaya.

While having walked by Gorokhovaya 64 (it was Dzerzhinskogo then) innumerous times, I've never been inside. My description was based on a few current Russian web sources.  

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 12:46:02 PM »
Greg

I visited the flat in either 1991/92.   It was in multiple occupancy, shared by four families.    In those days they were only too happy to take us in and give us a 'tour' of the apartments in exchange for some 'currency' which they immediately divided amongst themselves.

My recollection - The property was accessed via the archway shown in the photograph above.   This opened into a large open courtyard, full of rubbish and pitted with puddles.   There were buildings on all four sides.   Directly ahead was the door leading to the staircase which accessed Rasputin's flat.   Inside, the twin doors we found ourselves in a good sized reception hall.   To the left were two rooms, the first slightly larger than the second.   Directly opposite on the right, two rooms almost identical rooms overlooked the courtyard.

Each room was 'home' to a family.   They divided the space using, wall units, or a bookcase - even a fridge, thus breaking their room into living, eating and sleeping units.   There was a third door on the left, which I think may have led to a bathroom.   We did not see inside.   It was the kitchen, at the rear of the flat, which I found most interesting.   It had recently been painted a glossy, deep grass green by a film production company.   They had recreated it as it appeared at the time of Rasputin's occupancy.   Despite it now being a 'communal' kitchen, it certainly retained its atmosphere.

From the kitchen, a door led to a small, narrow, dark staircase.   This was the stair used by Rasputin when he left the flat for his final, fateful journey with Felix Yusupov.   Descending those steps resonated with history.

I have heard of a proposal to create a Rasputin museum in the flat.   With four families to rehouse and the cost of restoration, I cannot imagine this will happen in the near future.

tsaria  

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 06:21:56 PM »
Here is the view of Rasputin's windows from inside of the courtyard - I sneaked in there and photographed them (May 2004). The courtyard was very upleasant and kind of filthy, so was the whole building for that matter  :P. The front entrance into the building is now bricked up - a recent development, from what I understand the building was recently sold...  

Offline Johnny

• Graf
  • Never mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 04:11:53 PM »
I am glad I saw the building 3 years ago. What are they gonna do with the building? Are they going to convert it into a museum or just modernize it? It will be a pitty if they detroy the interiors the same way they did to the big Yussoupov palace (not the one on Moika.) I took pictures of both the facade and the courtyard but have no scanner to scan and post the pictures.
Татьяна: Кто ты - мой ангел ли хранитель?

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 07:08:01 PM »
I am glad I saw the building 3 years ago. What are they gonna do with the building? Are they going to convert it into a museum or just modernize it? It will be a pitty if they detroy the interiors the same way they did to the big Yussoupov palace (not the one on Moika.) I took pictures of both the facade and the courtyard but have no scanner to scan and post the pictures.

I saw the building in 1999, when the tenants still lived in Rasputin's apartment. The front door was not bricked up yet, and I walked up the stairs to the apartment. I was very tempted to knock on  the door, see who answers and ask if I can see it, but chickened out in the end  ;)  During my recent visit earlier this year, I asked the Moika Palace guide about who purchased the building and what they plan on doing with it but she didn't know. I think it would be kind of cool if they did make a museum out of the apartment, since that would give anyone who is interested the opportunity to go inside. They also apparently have a lot of Rasputin's belongings which they bought with the place, so they can also show them in the museum.

Johnny, you can take photos of the pictures you have with a digital camera, that works just as well as a scanner. But of course that's provided you own a digital camera  :).

H

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 08:38:25 PM »
Recently I was looking at rental property in SPb and came across this:

http://www.gopetersburg.spb.ru/petersburg/sugd.html

1-2 ZIMMER WOHNUNG
66, GOROHOVAYA ST.

Recently renovated (western-standard) Wohnung located in a quetish part of St Petersburg center - between Pushkinskaya and Senaya metro stations and near Fontanka river embankment. It is in a well-known Rasputin's house. 2nd floor of the 5-storeyed house. The Wohnung features kitchen-living room and a bedroom. This is a small, but very cosy Wohnung ideally for a couple, but can accommodate up to 2 couples. Entrance from the yard, windows overlooking this quiet yard, TV, equipped kitchen, TV, two WC. Long term rent is possible.

A bargain at 60 Euro per night!  ;D

Same photos, with correct street number this time offering a different level rental in "Rasputin's" building:

http://www.guestapart.spb.ru/tworoom.htm

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Belochka »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 10:59:34 AM »
I guess this is what this building was purchased for  :). The flat looks nice inside from the pictures, but the building itself is really nasty and dingy... They really should try to clean up the whole thing if they want to rent it out for high prices... But I suppose there may be enough takers without that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 08:27:40 PM »
Although I am looking to rent an appartment for my next longterm stay ... this particular complex holds little appeal to me. This one came across in my searching.

The area is not ideal and I believe that its a walkup ... which detracts my interest. :-/

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2005, 03:20:52 PM »
It seems like most residential buildings in St Pete, not just Rasputin's former residence, leave a lot to be desired, even the ones in the center of the city. For the last five days of my stay during my last trip I rented a room from a St Petersburg lady, in a location that was considered very good, the center of the city, but the building was so nasty! This seems to be the case with most of them, I guess there must be no money for the upkeep even though the inside of some of these flats is quite nice. I think there are a few very upscale renovated buildings that are kept up nicely - they cost top dollar of course, but this is not  the case with most other apartment buildings.  :(

Offline Johnny

• Graf
  • Never mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 05:37:44 AM »
It seems like most residential buildings in St Pete, not just Rasputin's former residence, leave a lot to be desired, even the ones in the center of the city. For the last five days of my stay during my last trip I rented a room from a St Petersburg lady, in a location that was considered very good, the center of the city, but the building was so nasty! This seems to be the case with most of them, I guess there must be no money for the upkeep even though the inside of some of these flats is quite nice. I think there are a few very upscale renovated buildings that are kept up nicely - they cost top dollar of course, but this is not  the case with most other apartment buildings.  :(

I find Rasputin's building quite expensive, too. 70 euros anight is outrageous for such an appartment. But I don't think the building is particularly bad. It's not very central, it's true. It's a long walk to the subway station. But it is still in the old city center. And there are buses and trams available. Most old buildings in Europe look like that from the outside. I live in Berlin and I can tell you the city is full of buildings looking like that both the facade and the view from the courtyard. I don't remember exactly, but I think when I saw the building I didn't think that the facade was in such dire need of repair. I checked the website of that rental agancy with pictures of the available apartment. The rooms were small, but decently renovated and clean. However, the furnishing of it is so cheap and distasteful, I wouldn't be paying 70 euros a night to stay there.
Татьяна: Кто ты - мой ангел ли хранитель?

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 07:39:59 AM »

Most old buildings in Europe look like that from the outside. I live in Berlin and I can tell you the city is full of buildings looking like that both the facade and the view from the courtyard. I don't remember exactly, but I think when I saw the building I didn't think that the facade was in such dire need of repair.

Oh I wasn't talking about the outside facade of the buildings and courtyards, I know that most buildings in Europe look like this. I was talking about the inside of the buildings, the filth, the disrepair, the trash and, shall we say, the very unhygenic and disgusting odors in the staircases and courtyards! Don't misunderstand me, I am not some spoiled American who is expecting pristine "cookie cutter" appearances from older European buildings, I would just like a little bit of cleanliness and upkeep, that's not too much to expect is it, and maybe then I would be willing to pay 70EUR per night to stay there.