Author Topic: Rasputin's apartment on Gorochowaja 64  (Read 39634 times)

Offline Grigorevna

• "As long as a man lives, he sins"
    • View Profile
Re: Rasputin's apartment on Gorochowaja 64
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 07:02:22 AM »
What was the social status of the neighborhood of Gorochovaya 64 in the 1910-s? Middle-class, poor...? Anyone?

//Grigorevna

Offline Johnny

• Graf
  • Never mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 03:28:36 PM »
What was the social status of the neighborhood of Gorochovaya 64 in the 1910-s? Middle-class, poor...? Anyone?

//Grigorevna

It's pure speculation on my side, but based on the impression that I got from many mentionings of the area in contemporary sources, it must have been a lower-middle class area. I know that at the time of Gogol it certainly was a lower-middle class bordering on working class street since it was depicted as such in that writer's S. Petersburg stories. Between the intervening decades when Gogol wrote his stories and when Rasputin became a resident there the area seems to have somewhat improved, otherwise the aristocratic people, including people like Nikolasha or Protopopov would not have dared to show their faces anywhere in the neighborhood.
But as I said, it's the impression that I got. I don't have any hard evidence.
Татьяна: Кто ты - мой ангел ли хранитель?

Offline Grigorevna

• "As long as a man lives, he sins"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 02:28:32 PM »
Well, I thougt as much. I do have the same impression as you, Johnny. And it is highly thinkable that the imperial protegé would improve the social status of the neighbourhood. Does anyone else have any evidence of any of this?

//Grigorevna

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 05:17:14 PM »
Does anyone know who lived with Rasputin at the time of his death? I think I read that his daughters did as well as a niece Annushka whom I have not even found her last name.

Thanks!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 05:53:43 PM »
This is an article that I translated from Russian (with a few of my own photos of the Rasputin building thrown in). It's a pretty entertaining, albeit not very serious, piece...

http://www.geocities.com/mushkah/RasputinApartment.html

Offline Grishka

• Drink to the last drop, only lose not your head.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 07:20:29 AM »
Thank you so much for posting this article, I enjoyed it very much. It's interesting to see that the Staretz is still up to his old tricks.

I wonder if I can get one of those paintings.  8-)

Offline Slava Bogu!

• Slava Isusu Khristu ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 09:50:31 PM »
Cool article ... spasibo. Always wondered what happened to Grigorii's old place ... interesting that he supposedly appeared to the current tenant holding a whip ... a reference no doubt to Rasputin's early days as a carter ? ;)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2006, 08:08:09 AM »
Does anyone know who lived with Rasputin at the time of his death? I think I read that his daughters did as well as a niece Annushka whom I have not even found her last name.

Thanks!
His daughters, Varvara & Maria, as well as his maid (I believe her name was Dunya, but I'm not sure). I haven't heard about a neice before, but I'm not as well-versed in Rasputin history as I am with NAOTMAA...
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Johnny

• Graf
  • Never mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 12:10:17 PM »
The article says that the appartment is still shabby and has never been rennovated inside or outside. That is plain false! I saw the building 4-5 years ago when it was still a communal building and was still in its original state with the old entrance, which by the way was a beautiful door. Two years ago the building was bought. As you can see from the pictures, now they have a new glass main entrance to the building, which is truely a pity. Some of the flats in the building have already been chopped up into smaller units as temporary rentals for tourists, etc. I even saw the real estate agency's website, where the same address was given and also stated that Rasputin lived there once. I simply can't believe that the city let this happen to the building and did not turn it into a museum of some sort.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 05:11:42 PM »
The article says that the appartment is still shabby and has never been rennovated inside or outside. That is plain false! I saw the building 4-5 years ago when it was still a communal building and was still in its original state with the old entrance, which by the way was a beautiful door. Two years ago the building was bought. As you can see from the pictures, now they have a new glass main entrance to the building, which is truely a pity. Some of the flats in the building have already been chopped up into smaller units as temporary rentals for tourists, etc. I even saw the real estate agency's website, where the same address was given and also stated that Rasputin lived there once. I simply can't believe that the city let this happen to the building and did not turn it into a museum of some sort.

Yes, the article said exactly this and I just translated it word for word. I was never inside the flat myself, so I have no idea what it is like inside. However I did see the building in 2004 and also in 2005. In 2004, I even went up the stairs to the third floor. The building was pretty disgusting and most definitely shabby looking, very dark and dingy with a strong smell of urine in the dirty staircase (sorry but that's exactly what it was like). I don't know which door you mean (there may be more than one entrance), but the one I saw (the front one) was not beautiful, it was just a regular old door. In 2005, when I came back, that same doorway was bricked up and it was no longer the entrance, and still it did not in any way shape or form look beautiful to me... Maybe inside the flat it looks better, and maybe the author of the article exaggerated a bit, but on the outside in 2005 it still looked like a your run-of-mill inner city type building, that's none too clean... The description of the inside of the falt in this article was consistent with that.

Offline Johnny

• Graf
  • Never mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 01:20:31 PM »
Well, Helen, if you have seen the building as recently as 2005, then I guess I will trust you more than the website that I saw. By the way, I agree that the old door was just a regular door. But that's what I call beautuful. The recent glass door simply doesn't go with the architecture of the building. When I was there in 2001, I did not go inside the building, but I am sure the stairecase was disgusting and all broken down and smelling like urine. As you said, that's typical over there.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 04:18:03 AM »
Although I have not been inside the Rasputin building either, I have been inside others that are of the same age and "condition" where  friends of mine live. No matter how nice their own flat may be, the communal areas like hallways and stairwells are usually pretty bad. One building in particular has what must be one of the oldest and tiniest elevator in the city, but I would rather have used the stairs, it was so unpleasant.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Robert_Hall »
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 04:05:10 PM »

Hi All you lovely people out there

I just went to Skt. Petersburg and saw the Rasputin Flat -

but...

Something in not quite right with the upload ???. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong??? Have more pictures if people are interested....     

Warmly,
Fred

Rasputin Flat from front...

Painter living in Rasputin's flat today..

Kitchen exit - Rasputin went that way with Yussupov...

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 04:14:43 PM »
Fred, thanks for the photos! It looks like you were actually able to get inside the flat? Very interesting. If you need help with photos, please PM me.

Offline Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 01:08:22 PM »

Ok Papi - Here we go....

Kitchen - Painter said not much have been done since 1916...

Hall...

Kitchen stairs...

To the Street...

Basement at Yussupov Palace...