Author Topic: Rasputin's apartment on Gorochowaja 64  (Read 42459 times)

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Rasputin's apartment on Gorochowaja 64
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 02:08:32 PM »
I was in Rasputin's flat about ten years ago.   I'm surprised - it seems little changed, although the kitchen does seem a bit better 'furnished'.   Is it still in multiple-occupation?   They must have made a lot of dollars in the last ten years.   I can't remember how much we gave the families, but in St Petersburg 1996, it was, at least a week's salary for each.

tsaria

Offline GD_Sasha

• "Ain't that you with the Moslems?" -M.I.A.
    • View Profile
    • Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner. [blog]
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 03:47:43 PM »
Oh wow, thanks for uploading these pictures! Very interesting. :D

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 04:43:54 PM »
Hey Fred, great pictures, thanks for posting them.

Could you tell us what the room is on the inside wall of the kitchen??  I can see a bathroom there, but behind the shelves with the bottles there seems to be a doorway and curtains. 

The green wall partition seems old, wonder if it was there in Rasputin's day.  Where did his maid sleep?  We read about her sleeping on the floor of the kitchen. 

How many rooms does the apt. consist of?

How fortunate you were to even get in, much less take pictures.....thank you for sharing them.

Arleen

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2006, 04:14:23 PM »
Fred,
Thank you for posting the photos! I enjoyed seeing them.
lexi
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 08:27:54 PM »
Thank you Fred for all your images!

There are two details that are incorrect on this wax "Rasputin":

1. Rasputin wore a blue silk shirt on the night, and

2. Rasputin's hair was not grey.

I was given the opporunity to examine this exhibit privately in August and was able to photograph everything that I required including the letters and photographs on the other side of this basement exhibit. These I hope to present at the "Coronial Inquiry."

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 04:33:14 PM »

> Is it still in multiple-occupation?   They must have made a lot of dollars in the last ten years?

Yes – 4 Families lives now in that flat. The painter has let app. 4 other person in. An American Professor, some journalists, The Russian Church (want to make a museum there but lack funds for that plan and also housing for current residents) and Fred.

Painter didn’t want to have anything for my visit but I slipped him a note just when I left.

-----

>Could you tell us what the room is on the inside wall of the kitchen??

It was a storage room and was also there in 1916. Not much has been done in the flat since 1916.

I know – Picture is not so good.

>Where did his maid sleep?

According to painter she had a key.

-----

>How fortunate you were to even get in, much less take pictures.

No - Not fortunate. Just knock on the door and ask for the painter. Everyone is welcome. The Painter loves to talk about that period. Remember to bring someone who knows the Russian language.

The man with red jacket "previous picture" is an underpaid math professor - comparing to western standards. He owns a 1 room flat in the building. He bought that flat - I think 4 yrs ago - for his savings. That is the flat in the Rasputin building that people can rent.

Offline Temperance

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2007, 08:37:22 AM »
Interesting pictures. Is Rasputin's flat popular with tourist?

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2007, 06:08:56 AM »
In the second series of Fred's photographs - 'in the kitchen', above the shelving containing the large glass storage jars it is possible to see a shelf and a curtain.   This is where the maid slept.   The door on the left leads into the corridor which then opens out into a square-shaped hall before the exterior (front) doors.

On the other photograph of the kitchen which shows the back door to the stairs where Yusupov left the apartment with Rasputin, there are cookers to the right.   Slightly further along that wall (unfortunately out of sight) is a green painted hanging cupboard of carved wood, no bigger than two and a half feet high by two feet wide.    That was the only actual piece of 'furniture' original to the apartment when occupied by Rasputin.

tsaria

Offline Nomine

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 05:24:34 AM »
Thanks Fred! Good job. Well, I am in St. Petersburg now and I am gonna visit the flat. Is it on the address Gorokhovaya 64? What floor?

I do not feel like just knocking on one's door. Do not the inhabitors of the flat mind my comming? How much roubles should I give for the visit and to whom?

The man, you are speaking about, his name is Painter, like "khudozhnik" in Russian?

Thanks a lot. Please, if you know some other places connected with Rasputin in Petersburg, tell me, or even buildings where some of his admirers used to live etc. Please try depict the way, if you can.
THANKS!
"It's better to burn out than to fade away."

Offline Georgi Zhukov

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 08:17:48 PM »
The painter that lives in Rasputin's flat should be a very BRAVE man, it could be a very scary place.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 08:59:03 PM »
The painter that lives in Rasputin's flat should be a very BRAVE man, it could be a very scary place.

Hardly. It is just an impoverished apartment which has historic interest.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Ena

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »
A budget B&B called Andrew's Guesthouse is located in this building.  Of course, they use Rasputing as a selling point. 

I'm curious if anyone has stayed here, or knows anyone who has.   

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/AndrewsGuesthouse-StPetersburg-19699?PackNO=0

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2008, 05:01:05 PM »
A budget B&B called Andrew's Guesthouse is located in this building.  Of course, they use Rasputing as a selling point. 

I'm curious if anyone has stayed here, or knows anyone who has.   

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/AndrewsGuesthouse-StPetersburg-19699?PackNO=0

Interesting. This must be very new as I don't think it was there as recently as 2 years ago... The location there is not as central as they claim, but not too bad. It actuallu looks like a good alternative to a hotel.

Offline Cristina Franco

• Cristina Rosario
    • View Profile
    • Cristina Rosario
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »

Offline Cristina Franco

• Cristina Rosario
    • View Profile
    • Cristina Rosario
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 12:46:42 PM »