Author Topic: Car mark "DUX"? A photo? Any information? What factory manufactured and where?  (Read 11891 times)

Offline Amely

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Has somebody heard anything about a car mark "DUX". A photo? Any information? What factory manufactured and where? Who repaired? Any customer lists?

Who manufactured the leather furniture of that car? White? Other colours?

What people owned such a car? Is there any registers of owners / customers?

Offline Amely

• Boyar
    • View Profile
I do mean cars before the year 1920.

I found an adress: www.duxcarcare.com.au and in their advertisement they say they repair leather seats. What is the history of that car repairing factory in this adress?

Does somebody find out more about all this?

Offline Amely

• Boyar
    • View Profile
The www.duxcarcare.com.au has the telephone number in their contact information 0424038775. What is missing from this number as I cannot phone it or send a text message or an e-mail to them? What is the problem? Could somebody, please help me in this matter.

Or am I quite stupid now? I just wanted to know if they have any history of Dux cars and maybe some old photos. I have found out that Dux and Wolksvagen (Volkswagen?) has some connection and Google gave some pictures of some Dux cars maybe from from the 30-ties or 40-ties.

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
Only if i can help -- in Latin 'DUX' means leader. And, it is written with large font, so I believe it comes from Latin language.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Amely

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Thank you for your kind answer.

However, the Wikipedia (Google), gave something about "Dux" when I searched. Maybe there is something written in English about Dux in Wikipedia, too,  so try it.

I found that the word "Dux" means a leader and its a noble tittle that in my language is translated with Duke. It has a pluralis: duces. The word duce (for example duce Benito Mussolini) has the same origin as the word "Dux".

Alixz

http://www.mbzponton.org/mbz220s/pontonobilia/pontonobiliaslracers.htm

Dux was the toy label name for the German firm, Markes & Co..  The company was founded in 1904 by Karl Markes in Ludenscheid.  Auto-Dux Series.  They made very complete and very intricate models of cars.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Dux was a car manufacturer in Moscow, Russia, in 1901-1906. The factory itself existed until 1920, but produced bicycles, motorcycles and, in 1914-1917, airplanes - no more cars. Those manufactured in 1901-1906 were all replicas of various French and American models, like De Dion-Bouton and Oldsmobile. It seems unlikely that any of Dux cars was ever exported outside Russia.
See e.g.: http://slovari.yandex.ru/dict/rusauto/article/kan-0129.htm
Links beneath the article lead to various Dux models, including photos.

Alixz

Thanks Mike - I knew we could count on you to find the answer.

Offline Amely

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Thanks to you Mike for your answer. I don't know Russian, but maybe you tell the most important details in you text. However I still feel the need to see some real photo of a car.

My relative diggered the tyres into the ground so that just anybody could start using the car at once. What material could those tyres have been made of (stupid woman asking)? Could it be possible to found something in the ground of the tyres still today in theory or are they too rotten already and have disappeared that way? Of tree, metal, gum or what?

Thanks for any answers.

Offline Amely

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Does somebody know addresses to some Old Car Museums in Russia (St.Petersburg, Moscow, Kiev)?

(I'll try searching in the Internet, but I don't have any Chyrillic letters.)

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Photo's of Dux Car's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12567713@N00/521081159/

look at the posts for more intormation

also at this site there is this:
 Hello,

your site is very good!
I send you the pitures of reclame-annonces of russian steam cars from 1901-1903.
Manufacturer "DUX" (J. Meller & Co) in Moscow have built steam cars of amerinan licence from company "Locomobile" with the brand "Dux-Loomobile" or "Dux-Paromobile" (The russian wor PAR is to english STEAM).
"Dux" maked alsi bicycles, motorycles, benzin and electric automobiles, motor boots and airplans.

Best regards, Stanislav Kiriletz
(A Russian from Germany)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=JeD&q=Museums+with+Dux+cars+in+them&start=10&sa=N

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:18:00 AM by Mari »

Offline Amely

• Boyar
    • View Profile
The man who once owned a car mark DUX in Russia and who digged the tyres into the ground around his house has written many books abroad. I just got one of his book and there is a lot of advertisement in it. The book year is 1948 so the book is already more than 60 years old!

You can find advertisement for private cars and trucks of such marks as Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac and Vauxhall and motors as Mercury. I found this suitable here and wanted just to share this funny thing with you.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
There is a link to the Tsarskoe Selsy Imperial Automobile Sport Club on the main APTM website, in English and Russian.  They are located in the former Imperial Garage at Tsarskoe Selo, and have extensive history about Automobiles in Russia prior to the Revolution.