Author Topic: Did Alexandra Have Other Lovers?  (Read 23769 times)

Rodion_Felix

Re: Did Alexandra Have Other Lovers?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 07:36:26 AM »
Since my english isnt perfect like yours and i rather give short replies to not embarrass myself, i dont like her because i dont aprove the way she isolated her children, among other attitudes.

I have to agree on that. The isolation was a bad thing. She is also my less favorite of the imperial family

Alixz

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »
Wow, I know I have been away, but I didn't know that threads like this were popping up again.

There is the difference in the translation of "lover" and the meaning of it in different languages.

In prior times, one would call a suitor a lover.  Not now.  Now it means an extra marital affair.

As far as anyone can tell, Alexandra was a virgin when she married Nicholas and had no extra marital affairs during their 24 year union.

There are always rumors and as RF4E has said, some on them came out of the post revolutionary propaganda.  Some also came just from the way Alexandra would use words as she wrote to friends and family.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 09:53:46 PM »
I don't know the children were as isolated as all that, either, reading their diaries and letters, they seem to have a lot of social events, visits etc. If world war 1 hadn't happened, I wonder how many more social activities would have happened, especially for the oldest.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 11:05:36 PM »
If world war 1 hadn't happened, I wonder how many more social activities would have happened, especially for the oldest.
Alexandra was planning balls for her eldest children but WWI intervened and nothing happened. I read it from Vyrubova's memoirs, perhaps, or Buxhoeveden's.

you believes that "lover" is a person who likes a woman and that's all...
In prior times, one would call a suitor a lover.

The meaning of "lover" I believe in all these years are exactly what both of you said. Given the meaning of that word in present times, I'll say Alexandra never had any lover except Nicholas.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:14 PM »
To my mind Alexandra didn't have any.

'Lover' in British English is usually used of a person with whom someone has an extramarital sexual relationship.

Nicholas was Alexandra's husband. I think it highly doubtful that she ever had a physical relationship with Rasputin. Clarence and the unnamed nobleman were suitors, potential suitors or perhaps admirers.

Ann

Yes. It was this was I was trying to say. And I'm not aware of that this word could have been used as today we used the word "suitor". I have some good old Victorian English books and they never uses the word "lover" inestead of "suitor". As far as I know, a lover implied to have physical relationships, back then and now. But I agree with Princess Shandroise: we have not doubt what "lover" means nowadays. So, we shouldn't be using this word when we are just meaning "suitor".

RealAnastasia.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 03:36:56 AM »
'I have some good old Victorian English books and they never uses the word "lover" inestead of "suitor". As far as I know, a lover implied to have physical relationships, back then and now. But I agree with Princess Shandroise: we have not doubt what "lover" means nowadays. So, we shouldn't be using this word when we are just meaning "suitor".'

I agree. For the record an 'admirer' is someone who  wants a closer relationship with the lady than he actually gets, quite possibly marriage, but doesn't get further than afternoon tea, outings and the like (she isn't as interested in him as he is in her). For example, my paternal grandmother, as a young widow in the early 1920s, had an admirer who 'hoped to marry her', got her son into a naval traning ship and continued to take an interest in her and her family even after she married someone else.

Offline yussupov29

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »
We know Nicholas II

( and maby Rasputin )

Anybody else who was her lover ?

Rodion,

Please be more respectful with your questions - "she" happened to have been the former Empress, Alexandra Fyodorovna.

Despite the numerous salacious rumors that seem to continue to this day, there was no physical relationship between the former Empress and Grigorii Rasputin.

Margarita

Belochka,

in my opinion "she" shows not a lack of respect.

But I agree with you. Alexandra Feodorowna had no interest in other men than her husband. And besides she hardly had the possibility to have any secret love affair after her marriage. The stories about her sexual relation with Rasputin were just nasty slander and gossip comparable to what was said about Marie Antoinette over hundred years before.

Offline ..dlnec1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 09:31:31 AM »
I have read about this lady for years,  have a nice photograph in a lovely frame in my sitting room, from a series taken in 1906 with Alexis. I have a great respect for her as a women, her life was not easy, she made many mistakes. She could be haughty, selfish and vindictive, but also very kind, faithful, generous and caring. She was very intelligent in ways that constantly surprise me.

Lovers in the biblical sense, no she was far to prudish and far to in love with her husband. It was her very middle class manners and tastes that the Russian court hated. I am afraid her detractors can not have it both ways......

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
  • Imperial Corps Des Pages
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 09:40:06 AM »
While today people hop into bed at the first meeting we forget that times were different then and in my view better in someways. I have never believed that the Empress would have been intimate with anyone other than her husband, who clearly was the love of her life and she his. They shared a life, country, children, crown and a horrible fate and reducing the Empress to a modern day slapper does not in my view assist history in anyway.

Complicated the empress may have been but loyalty was one of her strong points. 

The only man she cared about was the Emperor both in this world and the next, one assumes.
Remembering the Imperial Corps Des Pages - The Spirit of Imperial Russia

Offline ..dlnec1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 09:44:52 AM »
Bravo, could not have put it better myself!!!!

Alixz

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 11:07:54 AM »
It is hard to also accept that Catherine (the so called) Great and many of her contemporaries had lovers in the biblical sense and no one cares at all.

I think that is why people wonder about Alexandra.  The whole monogamous thing only began with Alexander III and Empress Marie, before that it was not unusual for the tsar or the tsaritsa to have a series of biblical lovers.

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 01:42:41 PM »
I know that the members of this forum ARE FREE to start discussions on any topic that seems to be of interest to them and other forum members. there is no and there shouldn`t be any censorship here,on this board. the only censor should be our decency and good taste. that is why i find discussions on someone`s lovers and detils of intimate life simply tasteless. i don`t think it is a good idea to do such a reseach on the life of the former empress and a martyr.well, such a discussion is simply inappropriate because alexandra feodorovna is dead and is not able to protect herself. don`t people have any other interesting topics for discussions?why do people want to wash somebody`s dirty linen?
Dear FA would you be as kind as to close this tasteless thread? Thank you very much in advance

Offline pers

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 04:50:20 PM »
I second Violetta, this is really out of line.

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »
Here Here Violetta. 

Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline ..dlnec1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 05:23:46 PM »
That would be censorship indeed, we must not be precious about things however distasteful we may personally find them. The ongoing fascination with AF and Rasputin, is of historical intrest. It all nonsense of course but new comers to this story of tumultuous change and an epoch full of historical giants need to be able to discuss why AF would not and did not have lovers. We should also remember that Saints are human being elevated by God because of there suffering and defense of faith usually. AF was a flesh and blood women, a sinner like all of us, then a devoted mother, then an Empress Consort and finally a saint and martyr!! You may wish to change the order according to you opinion of her. I have a soft spot for AF, I like to think I understand her a little.

But we must be free to discuss whatever we need to, free expression of views and opinions!!! We must also accept that others may not agree with us at all.