Author Topic: My top 100 TV series ( probably very off topic )  (Read 7873 times)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: My top 100 TV series ( probably very off topic )
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 03:29:11 PM »
I really do not watch much TV, but in the past, I loved Maude, MTM, Bob Newhart,  Golden Girls. Smothers Brothers were brilliant!
  But the vast majority of my favourites are British- Jeeves & Wooster, Ab Fab, "Allo, Allo", Little Britain, To the Manor  Up Pompei, Fawlty Towers,,  Good Neighbours, etc.
 I am currently cathing up on My Family, which makes Archie Bunker look rational, except from a different  dysfunctional angle and  now that I am older, I really appreciate Last of the Summer Wine, which has a lot of older British actors whom we may know but have not seen in a while.
 Almost makes me want to retire to a quaint English village in Yorkshire with "quirky" neighbours. I am up to 15 episodes with that one, and I only just started noticing it, after 30 years!
 Oh, Dianna Rigg is superb, but she really shines on stage.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline cebi26

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 04:51:11 PM »
House
Two and a Half Men
The Tudors
Supernatural
Grey's Anatomy
Law & Order: SVU
Frasier
South Park
Seinfeld
IT Crowd

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »
No offense C but in our household we thought that Billy Mummy was the worst kind of brat actor.

I didn't even like watching him until Babylon 5.

I always wondered if he was as unlikable in person as he was as a kid actor.  I especially disliked him in the Twilight Zone episode "Into the Cornfield". That may not be the episode title, but that is how I remember the show.

And Lost in Space was comedy and a bad one at that.  The Dr. Smith character was almost worse than the character Mummy played.

Please note the name is Mumy (moo-me), not "Mummy".

Lost In Space is not a comedy, but juvenile sci-fi, although it does have comedic moments, both intentional and otherwise.  Constantinople (who is lucky enough to know him) is right about Bill Mumy.  He was and is a very unspoilt, down to earth person who has said he still retains some childhood friends to this day.  Perhaps Constantinople is one of them?? His son and daughter (Mumy's, not Constantinople's!) are also actors.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 06:34:59 PM by Grace »

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 07:27:54 PM »
Yes, Dame Diana shines on stage ... have known her for years.

I really do not watch much TV, but in the past, I loved Maude, MTM, Bob Newhart,  Golden Girls. Smothers Brothers were brilliant!
  But the vast majority of my favourites are British- Jeeves & Wooster, Ab Fab, "Allo, Allo", Little Britain, To the Manor  Up Pompei, Fawlty Towers,,  Good Neighbours, etc.
 I am currently cathing up on My Family, which makes Archie Bunker look rational, except from a different  dysfunctional angle and  now that I am older, I really appreciate Last of the Summer Wine, which has a lot of older British actors whom we may know but have not seen in a while.
 Almost makes me want to retire to a quaint English village in Yorkshire with "quirky" neighbours. I am up to 15 episodes with that one, and I only just started noticing it, after 30 years!
 Oh, Dianna Rigg is superb, but she really shines on stage.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline NurseVickie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »
THE AVENGERS WOULD BE IN MY TOP 10, IT WAS REALLY BIG HERE IN THE STATES WHEN I WAS IN MY EARLY TEENS.  I WOULD ADD THE MAN FROM UNCLE, I LOVE LUCY AND NOW THAT OUR PUBLIC TV IS SHOWING BRIT COMS I AM IN LOVE WITH ARE YOU BEING SERVED AND ARE YOU BEING SERVED AGAIN, AND FAWLTY TOWERS, ESPECIALLY THE ONE WITH THE DEAD BODY IN THE HOTEL AND THE PET RAT.  I HAVE ONLY SEEN ABOUT 8 LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE AND I AM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT. AND OF COURSE I THINK I HAVE A HYACINTH BUCKET FOR A NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR.  YOU CAN BE SURE THAT EVERY SATURDAY NIGHT FROM 7-12 WE ARE WATCHING BRIT COMS AT OUR HOUSE. 

Offline Ausmanov

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 09:43:25 PM »
1.   Red dwarf
2.   Black books
3.   Simpsons
4.   NCIS
5.   supernatural
6.   Futurama
7.   Are you being served
8.   some mothers do have ‘em
9.   dads army
10.   three and a half men
11.   law and order
12.   how I met your mother
13.   Rules of engagement
14.   Burn notice
15.   good news week
16.   family guy
17.   American dad
18.   kennys world
19.   Merlin
20.   faulty towers
21.   Bones
22.   the amazing race
23.   mr bean
24.   star gate
25.   ready, steady, cook
26.   big bang theory
27.   back to you
28. little britain
29. Ren and Stimpy
30. I am weasel
31. scrubs
32. house
33. the vicar of dibley
Thats as far as i got, i have no idea how you thought of 100
God never closes a door without opening a window

Constantinople

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 09:51:29 PM »
I am not one of Bill's childhood friends.  I know him from his music but used to watch him on that series.

Offline Victor

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 04:23:51 AM »
Grace and Constantinople,I was an avid child fan of Lost in Space too and have the boxed dvd set of the entire series-three seasons.Very much a product of its day and wildly unscientific but hugely enjoyable anyway.Juvenile sci-fi is a good description.In it's original run L.I.S out-rated Star Trek!I also have models of the space ship-the Jupiter 2-and the Chariot and several of the Robot in various sizes.The film version a few years ago was rather poor I thought.Every now and the they talk of remaking the series but it comes to nothing.A remake would have to recapture the original idea of being dark and mysterious,a little like early Dr.Who episodes.My favourite episode was The Anti-Matter Man from season 3.Also like The Time Merchant with Salvador Dali like back-drops.  These days I like The Loop,Merlin,Packed to the Rafters{Australian show},Mad Men.In younger days...like Robert I enjoyed Maude...Time Tunnel,Dr.Who,Dallas,Dynasty,Earth 2.From extreme youth remember The Patty Duke Show and The Flying Nun-we always thought that was hilarious because we were taught be nuns as children.
'The world breaks all of us but some of us are stronger in the broken places.'Ernest Hemingway.

Rodion_Felix

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 06:19:04 AM »

Thats as far as i got, i have no idea how you thought of 100

Well i have a very good memory. But just to be said i do not watch a 100 series. Most of them i have not seen in many many years.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 07:48:59 AM »
I am also with Marlene with Lucy, but only with Vivian Vance.  I have all 3 series on dvd and watch them from tim-to-time for relief, or inspration...never know which I am up to when I put them on!
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Alixz

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 09:32:39 AM »
I am told by my mother that I loved I Love Lucy as a child, but when I see the show now, I am embarrassed.  Some of the "funniest" scenes seem so contrived to me now and I always wonder how people didn't see what was coming.

As I look at the shows that members are posting, I realize that I have forgotten so many that I used to like and watch regularly.

I have never been a "sit com" fan, even before that title was coined and (I know that I mentioned this before) but I never watch anything with a laugh track.  I don't feel that I need to be prompted to laugh.  If the show is funny, I should be able to figure it out on my own.

My son, however, loves shows like The Golden Girls and The Fresh Prince and recently he has been watching George Lopez.

Constantinople

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 09:52:50 AM »
One of my friends is in that show (George Lopez) but I have never seen it.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2009, 04:31:06 AM »
I am told by my mother that I loved I Love Lucy as a child, but when I see the show now, I am embarrassed.  Some of the "funniest" scenes seem so contrived to me now and I always wonder how people didn't see what was coming.

Of course ILL seems contrived and dated now, but I don't believe that means it can't still be enjoyed for what it is!  It would have been one of the first TV sit-coms ever made and that alone would have explained its enormous popularity. 

Victor, I have the Lost In Space box set too and I so enjoy it - probably because I hardly ever get the time to put it on!  The world is depressing.  I don't want to always watch murders and sleaze on the telly, I want to be entertained and amused and what’s better than some of the old shows which gave me so much joy as a kid?  I do have some serious tastes as well but nothing cheers me up more than a bit of LIS and, Victor, do you know The Anti-Matter Man is my son’s favourite episode too?!  For me, it’s hard to beat War Of The Robots, Wish Upon A Star and The Magic Mirror.  Then again, there’s All That Glitters, The Android Machine and…..and…..!

Offline RichC

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 10:28:18 AM »
In my book, the Golden Girls has got to be one of the best sitcoms ever produced.  Besides the cast, the writing was superb.  And it has really stood the test of time given how often it's repeated on TV.  I know people half my age (who were babies when it was on the air) and they love it too.

When I was a kid I loved to watch Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.  It was already in reruns then, but I loved it.  Another one I liked was I Dream of Jeannie; very formulaic and quite sexist too (the episodes featuring bored officers wives who get sent for psychiatric evaluation because they insist they see flying cars, talking animals, etc. are my faves!)

Constantinople

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 11:03:46 AM »
I think the early to mid 60s was one of the most creative periods in television,  We had shows like the Beverly Hillbillies, I dream of Jeannie,  Mr Ed and Bewitched.  Shows like the Smothers Brothers, Ed Sullivan and Rowan and Martin's Laugh in really pushed the envelop.  We now have a couple oif hundred television channels to choose from but I dont think the quality or imagination has improved.