Author Topic: You know you're obsessed with the Romanovs when... Part 2  (Read 248310 times)

Offline Nicolá De Valerón

• Graf
  • Soul to God, Loyality to Crown, Honor to nobody
    • View Profile
Re: You know you're obsessed with the Romanovs when... Part 2
« Reply #435 on: May 05, 2010, 03:25:40 PM »
Ann, what about the WWI Russian Air Force? Let's move to the early War time (1914). If you don't have an acrophobia, I can offer you the rank of Colonel of the Guard and Commander of the 1st Corps Squadron (dislocated in the same name Guard's Corps). This is very prestigious offer, because you'll command the prestigious military formation in a rather rare for WWII military division.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:30:12 PM by Nicolá De Valerón »
"I think that if Shakespeare lived in our times he would not be able to write. Many of his works are not welcome on stage nowadays: The Merchant of Venice – anti-Semitism, Othello – racism, The Taming of the Shrew – sexism, Romeo and Juliet - hideous heterosexual show..." - Vladimir Bukovsky.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 06, 2010, 03:22:13 AM »
Nicola

I am honoured!

Ann

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 12, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »
YKYOW you go kind of happily insane when finding out your school library has a copy of "The Fall of the Romanovs" by Mark Steinberg (and you check it out immediately). I was the first to ever check it out! :D

Carrying around a huge, severe-looking red book with me all day seemed to inspire interest in my friends...one friend, coming into the library with me later that day, asked me what the book was about and I gave her a brief synopsis (arrest and execution) and she asked, "You mean, they killed the whole family?" "Yeah." "Like...all at once?" "Yes," I said "Wow," she replied. Another friend of mine saw me reading the book in Spanish class and asked "Why are you reading that??", because it looks kind of like a small textbook, until I showed her what it was. I mentioned Anastasia and she got interested after that :D. There are several pages of photos in the middle and she sat and looked at those for a long time.

Lol...I liked that day! The book was good too...just finished it today, and now my sister is reading it.
There is a clock that never strikes...
There is a cathedral that goes down and a lake that goes up...
There is a little carriage abandoned in the copse...
There is a troupe of little actors in costume...
And when you are hungry or thirsty, there is someone who drives you away.

Offline Павэл

• Oh Rus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 12, 2010, 06:16:18 PM »
Ones of my own

* You hear something that sounded (even vaguely like) the word 'Tatiana' mentioned on the TV in a bar and demand everyone goes silent and the volume turned up. (1999 - Aged 19)
* You are taken to the imperial War Museum (London) specifically to wean you off all this 'royalty rubbish' by reintroducuing you to your previous mania - WWII. You instead spend all 7 hours in the one and only Russian room in the WWI exhibit reading the same stuff over and over again (feeling upset you couldn't find a decent photo of Tatiana, but looking more intently as if one will 'just appear' if you keep looking) while your dad (A Trades Union Official of all things) looks like he's about to scream. (Aged 16)
* You start drawing little heart shapes on some of the photos in your books. :-[ (No prize for guessing which particular second daughter)
* You begin buying books on time travel possibilities and set yourelf the task of rescuing them. (Aged 15)
* You get messed up while considering the above - if they are rescued then you would never have encountered the subject (they'd just have been another historical group). Your head melts trying to solve this paradox and you burst in tears in your room surrounded by books of them.
* You blub through your tears, apologising to them, for letting them all down.
* You try instead to find a way to FAKE their execution (while still rescuing them) so that history will still go as before.
* Вы самостоятельно учитесь Русского, так что если вы преуспеваете в спасении их вы можете говорить легко!
* Turning on the telly years later you see a 3-minute clip on the revolution and spend all night thinking about it. You look on the web and start typing '"tatiana" into wikipedia. You add it to your favourites list and immediately open a new desktop folder entitled 'OTMA'. You feel somehow 'complete again'. (Aged 30, about 4 weks ago)

Posted elsewhere, but:

"This same odd fellow, uncorrected
To his Tatyana makes his way."

-Eugene Onegin
"[st]Winston[/st] Paul returned to his room and smoked his Victory cigarettes ......"

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 12, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
You write a fan fiction about them!!! XD XD so obessed!! XD XD
Why I enjoy watching The Andy Griffith Show at 2am, I'll never know.
Why yes, I do enjoy comical stylings of Anastasia :]

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #440 on: May 12, 2010, 06:51:26 PM »
You write a fan fiction about them!!!

Yeah, I know.  But it's fun.  I wrote one, Bid Time Return.  Have you written any?  Just curious.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 12, 2010, 07:07:20 PM »
I am currently! And also you write every report you on them lol
Why I enjoy watching The Andy Griffith Show at 2am, I'll never know.
Why yes, I do enjoy comical stylings of Anastasia :]

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #442 on: May 12, 2010, 11:16:08 PM »
And also you write every report you on them

Buh??
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 13, 2010, 06:33:48 AM »
Pavel Mikhailovitch, I loved you little story/bio! I understand feeling "complete". I thought it was especially funny about you and your dad in the museum. :D

Speaking of which...YKYOWTRW (or with History in general) you understand "phases". Like, phases of interest. Mine were in this order

--Ancient China (starting when I was about 7)
--17th-18th century Japan
--Ancient Egypt (this one was elaborate!)
--The Romanovs and revolutionary Russia

And this is still going strong (obviously) with Lewis Carroll and Rudolph Valentino thrown in there as well. I have Carroll's bigoraphy and am hoping for Valentino's as well, on my birthday this Sunday!
Of course, I've asked for a couple Romanov books as well :)

Did you all have "phases"? What were they?
There is a clock that never strikes...
There is a cathedral that goes down and a lake that goes up...
There is a little carriage abandoned in the copse...
There is a troupe of little actors in costume...
And when you are hungry or thirsty, there is someone who drives you away.

Offline Павэл

• Oh Rus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 13, 2010, 07:02:35 AM »
For me it was less of a 'phase' - I simply burned out in a 'conflagration' of nightmares (I'd been having them since the beginning, on and off). The last was when I was at University. Ever woken up and been unable to move? Its called (I found out later) 'sleep aponea' - the body when asleep is filled with muscle freezing chemicals to stop us acting out our dreams. At times of stress it all screws up and even if awake the effect continues. Its also common to have a second effect - despite being awake you're still dreaming.

The University had noted I'd been having problems - I was described as being a 'zombie' - the nightmares were coming every night. It was usually fragments of the events of Yekaterinburg. You know how dreams work - all jumbled up stuff. In one I walked out of my lecture hall (in the dream) to where there should have been a lobby to find myself in 'the cellar room' - empty but with all the 'splatters' up the walls as if it had just happened. The double doors at the back of the room were open and led to the main corridor of the chemistry department.

When people tried to find out what was wrong with me appariently I didn't make sense. I was given a week off and saw my family then returned. After a week back I'd had a few 'flickers' - standing next to "Comrade Ermakoff" in a bus queue (no grotesque bits - he was just standing there normally waiting for the bus and eating a take-away - but intimidating to see him). At the end of the week I actually felt quite settled..............(more coming)
"[st]Winston[/st] Paul returned to his room and smoked his Victory cigarettes ......"

Offline Beautiful_Anastasia

• Boyar
  • I love Chris Massoglia!!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Blackrock Panthers
« Reply #445 on: May 13, 2010, 07:04:31 AM »
Happy birthday for Sunday, Abbigail! I have phases, but I tend to keep most of mine. For instance, I am still in the X-men phase, the Billy the Kid phase, and the beloved Romanov phase!
YKYOWTRW.....You start teaching an 8-year-old child Russian, and are very pleased when she chooses 'Tatiana' as her Russian name. And also, whenever you see a new picture of OTMAA, you HAVE to try and make the faces that they are pulling in the mirror, and when you spontaneously walk past a mirror, you have to strike a Romanov pose. My favourites being these two:

And Maria's face in this one:

Emily x

Offline Павэл

• Oh Rus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 13, 2010, 07:30:28 AM »

I went to bed with my folders laid about on the floor next to my bed. At some point during the dream I became aware of where I was - at the top of the stairs going down to the cellar watching everyone file past. I was (as was often) a 'floating entity', just watching events unfold - this was normal for the 'full plot nightmare' (as opposed to those where elements were inserted into a normal dream.) I remember my field of view following behind the guards bring up the rear of the column, through cellar rooms to the one with double doors at the back. When the gun fire began I woke up, curled up on my side facing the room - then realised I couldn't move anything except my eyes, which rolled around the room trying to get bearings, and confused at to why I could see 2 things - my room (the bedside light was still on) and something else laid over my sight like a 'transparancy' - all running at high speed but as I got my bearings it slowed down and the 'transparency' began moulding itself into the room - distorting to fit the dimensions of my bedroom; some of the furniture began fading out; the walls began growing cream and brown stripes and those bloody double doors appeared in the corner (they'd always been a prominent item - and a story to it - I'll tell you sometime).

The sequence carried on - in 'real time' - from where Yurovsky began checking pulses - one of them screamed and everyone started going in with bayonets. I'd been attempting on and off to work out the sequence of events (at least a plausible set of outcomes - hypothetical ) based on the initial white investigations, official reports and the wounds on the skeletons. I even worked out how much half a pood of diamonds were - got the same volume of gravel and small stones and determined how much body it would cover - enough to totally armour 3 torsos or partially all the ladies. This was one of the variations I'd formed. The bayonts went all over the place in a frenzy of swiping and stabbing hitting all the 'peripherals' as they bounced off her torso - stomach, arms, face (I think I'll stop there). ...............

Offline Павэл

• Oh Rus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 13, 2010, 07:39:47 AM »

Soon I found I could move my fingers and the Ipatieff House faded away and my room reappeared. I threw up all over my books on the floor. Next day at Lectures they saw me shaking in my seat and was taken to the local hospital and from there collected by my parents. The feeling was of numbness. Quite how I'm not sure, but over the next few weeks I managed to erase the whole thing from start to end - packed my books into the attic and pretended it never happened. I remebered freaking out at uni, but put it down to 'stress'.

Over the lest few weeks I've slowly been remembering things.

So was it a 'phase'? Or did I just need a holiday from it all before I ended up in a straight jacket?

Anyway here's another:

* While typing on your live feed on facebook you start writing something like " Boring day - accounts need doing; Te Deum in the..." then realise your getting mixed up a bit.

Pav

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #448 on: May 13, 2010, 07:42:04 AM »
Pavel Mikhailovitch..are you describing a dream, or a vision? Either way you made quite real.

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #449 on: May 13, 2010, 07:47:26 AM »
Pavel Mikhailovitch..are you describing a dream, or a vision? Either way you made quite real.
I meant to say you made it quite real. It was well Maria didn't have jewels sown into her clothes. She was such a powerful person physically ,that added protection  would have made her death even more of an ordeal...if that was possible

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna