We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Does anyone know if the summer house of the Dowager Empress Marie and her sister Alexandra is still standing, or who may own it? It was in Denmark and called Hviodore.[/quoteHviodore still stands and belongs to a compagnie now rather sad they should have made a museum out of it . I think olga sold it before the war
Hvidøre in the pastHvidøre was built by the Danish architect Johan Schröder as a summer residence for the counsellor F C Bruun. In 1906 the Queen Alexandra of England and the Empress Dowager Dagmar of Russia bought Hvidøre.Alexandra and Dagmar stayed at Hvidøre every year in September and October until the First World War broke out and the transport from England and Russia became too dangerous.In 1919 Dagmar escaped from Russia. In the beginning she stayed at the Amalienborg Palace, later she moved to Hvidøre when the house was renovated and suitable for use throughout the year. Dagmar’s daughter the Grand Duchess Olga later came to Hvidøre together with her husband, Nicholas Kulikovsky, and their two sons, Guri and Tihon. Dagmar died at Hvidøre in 1928.After this Hvidøre had a changeable period with different owners until 1937 when the two brothers and founders of 'Novo Terapeutisk Laboratorium', Harald and Thorvald Pedersen, bought the house. Hvidøre was now converted into a diabetes hospital and opened on 28 January 1938. At the hospital people with diabetes could get treatment and learn to live with their disease and have an active life. The hospital could accommodate 25 patients. The price of the treatment was DKK 6 per day, which later was reduced to DKK 4 per day.In 1989 'Novo Industri' and 'Nordisk Gentofte' merged into 'Novo Nordisk A/S'. The hospital at Hvidøre was merged with 'Niels Steensens Hospital' (later 'Steno Diabetes Center'), as these buildings were up-to-date.After a thorough renovation Hvidøre opened again on 16 August 1993 as an internal conference centre for the Novo Group’s employees and guests.