Author Topic: Bulgaria Wants All Forests back from Former Tsar Saxe-Coburg  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
Re: Bulgaria Wants All Forests back from Former Tsar Saxe-Coburg
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
Perhaps these blessed Bulgarian politicians start by returning to His Majesty everything he is owed...maybe that way they''ll shut up once and for all and stop bothering the poor man!

Arturo BeÚche
--
Arturo BeÚche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 02:31:05 PM »
"Poor man"? I believe "His Majesty" is actually quite a wealthy man, by any standards. He did very well out of his marriage, and he's done very well out of Bulgaria - a country that can ill afford generosity to former royals, might I add. You should look at what school teachers make in Bulgaria and get back to me about "His Majesty" being entitled to further Bulgarian millions (because that's what he's made from Bulgaria, millions). If former royals want to stay popular in Eastern Europe and particularly the Balkans, there's a limit to how much recompense they can demand in countries that are suffering from an economic crisis even more severe than what we are experiencing in the West. If I were "His Majesty" I would offer to give the Bulgarian state back its prized woodlands, and reap the benefits from the resulting good public relations.

It's funny, until recently at least Tsar Boris III, the father of "His Majesty," remained quite popular in post-communist Bulgaria (at least among the taxi drivers and ordinary people I met). This was because he made a good deal with Hitler and got back a lot of contested lands in return for Bulgaria's alliance with Nazi Germany. Not that he had much choice, given that Stalin was breathing down his neck in a very big way. But I would suggest to you, M. BeÚche, that today, in the here and now, the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family is fast using up its good credit with the Bulgarian nation. Time to show a little humility. Time to show a little - shall we say, - faith?

I guess the question I would pose to Simeon is, does he want to follow the example of Elizabeth I, the Great (who lived only for her country, England) or that of Mary Queen of Scots (who always sacrificed the best interests of her kingdom Scotland if it meant she might be closer to gaining the English throne)? Big question.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:48:58 PM by Elisabeth »
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »
Yes, Elisabeth, too bad they're not in Russia where none of the property belonging to the Imperial Family or the nobility has been returned to their descendants, as it was stolen fair and square? One either believes in private property or one does not.

I do, and unless there is a legal basis for this claim, the only reason for Simeon to comply would be for goodwill.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 04:11:50 PM »
He also refuses to pay taxes on the property, is that fair and square?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 11:54:14 AM »
Well since he was not given fair use of his property for nearly 60 years...why should he pay taxes for that time?

It is the same nonsense the Greek government tried to do with King Constantine's property...tax him for it, but not allow him in the country to use it. Should anyone stand for that?
Why should my private property be taken by the government without compensation and then force me to pay taxes on property I can enjoy?

Agree with Lisa completely...one either respects private property or does not!

Arturo BeÚche

--
Arturo BeÚche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »
As I understand it, from my Bulgarian friends, the taxes are for current, not past possession. Also, no taxes are paid for the money recieved from [illegal] timber sales. Simeon renounced all royal titles and claims in order to enter Bulgarian politics. He is just an ordinary citizen, who owes the same dues as any citizen.
 I do not think the comparrison with Greece is valid, Arturo.  The situations of each are totally different. However, I will  say I tend to agree with you about them.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 10:13:27 PM »
Agree with Lisa completely...one either respects private property or does not!

In a bourgeois context I agree. But respect for private property is a bourgeois concept.
When it comes to royalty and nobility there wasn't just freehold property, but also fiefs.... I'm not saying that the Bulgarian forests in question are fiefs, just pointing out that nobles and princes may want to check if their estates originally were allods and not fiefs before they make too much noise....
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:17:58 PM by Fyodor Petrovich »