Author Topic: If you are a tourist in Russia...  (Read 194754 times)

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
If you are a tourist in Russia...
« on: November 20, 2009, 09:39:34 AM »
and you introduce yourself to a native, how would they respond?  Would they tell you their given name, or their given name and patronymic?

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
Re: If you are a tourist in Russia...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »
I would guess both given name and patronymic. I have seen in movies, for example, 'Ivana. Ivana Alexeevna'.  SO it would be also name, and once again repeated , just with patronymic added.

(Thanks to Emily!)
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 12:38:47 PM »
For a foreigner to use his/her patronymic, is always perceived as a joke. Just use your first name, irrespective of age and social status.

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
For a foreigner to use his/her patronymic, is always perceived as a joke. Just use your first name, irrespective of age and social status.

Oh no, I meant how would the native Russian introduce him/herself?

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 01:56:56 AM »
Very much depends on who the other party is and on the circumstances. Ranges from the first name [I'm Vova] to the full name [Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, glad to meet you].

Offline Ausmanov

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 08:40:14 PM »
I readin a travel book that it is unploite in Russia toshake a ladies hand unless she puts her hand forward ready to recieve it, is that true?
God never closes a door without opening a window

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 09:17:47 PM »
Especially on an initial meeting, it would be extremely rare for me to initiate a handshake with a lady anywhere in my travels, including Russia.  I was taught to permit them the opportunity to first extend their hand.  If they do not, then a short inclination of the head on my part, followed by "How do you do?" (or the local formal equivalent thereof), followed by her name/title.  (Of course, I am certain that there are other introductory variations both in/outside the western world/culture depending on the circumstances.)  AP
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 09:40:40 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 03:47:03 AM »
I readin a travel book that it is unploite in Russia toshake a ladies hand unless she puts her hand forward ready to recieve it, is that true?

Now the etiquette ways are not so strict. I never put my hand forward to a man as well as many other girls and ladies, I just say "hello/ hi/ glad to meet you/ My name is Svetlana" for example. When a man wants to shake my hand I don't see anything unpolite in this. After all nothing offensive.

But if you speak about the business etiquette then could be differencies. In private life we don't mind who put a hand forward first.