Author Topic: Collection of the Coronation Menu from 1896  (Read 8444 times)

Offline PeterB

• View Profile
Collection of the Coronation Menu from 1896
« on: November 26, 2009, 02:44:30 PM »
Hello!

Here is a collection of the Coronation Menu from 1896 and I want to asked; How rare is the Coronation Menu from 1896?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 02:53:00 PM by PeterB »

aleksandr pavlovich

Re: Collection of the Coronation Menu from 1896
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »
Attention:  PeterB :   Be cautious, for I feel certain that reproductions have been made.  You would have to determine the authenticity of your example/s to establish value. Of course, one of the best indicators, is that you have obtained your example/s from a proven, reliable source (but even then, mistakes do happen!) Best regards,  AP

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »
Original and genuine Coronation Menus are very rare and valuable.  I don't think the upper right document is a menu, I think only the left hand upper and the lower one appear to me as menus I've seen.  We have two genuine original menus, Supper May 20, at Grand Duke Serge Alexanrovich's Palace, and dinner May 26 in the Kremlin.  I have seen the Dinner May 20 menu sell a year ago for $12,000.  These were only printed for those at the meals, so only a few hundred of each were printed.  Few survive today. The smaller menus are probably worth $5,000 or so each IF genuine.  You must have an expert look at them.

Offline PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 05:29:49 AM »
Dear Graf Aleksandr Pavlovich and Forum Admin,

Thank you for the intresting of the paper - and I can also tell for them to these paper is authenticity and oringal, came from family there was situated at the Vladimir palace.
These three menu was dated 15, 19 and 23 mai 1896 and one paper was a proclamation of Nicholas II Coronation, in the picture is only three of four! But are that serious to
the price was $5,000 and $12,000 pr piece? Or mean you to $12.000 all four? Where was these sold, at a auction - typ of Sotheby or Christie´s?

Best regards,
Peter

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 09:28:21 AM »
The $12,000 price was for one menu, which you do not have.  It was sold by Christie's in London last December, the Dinner May 20 menu, which is a very large, almost one meter long, piece.

The Proclamation is more common, I have seen several sell for $1,000 over the last year.  The smaller size menus such as yours are worth $3,000 -$5,000 EACH, depending on size, attractiveness and condition.

They are very rare.

Offline Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 05:04:49 AM »
I saw the menu which was sold at Christies last year, it was hugely impressive...

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:49:24 AM »
I have  very good quality copies of 2 of the menus, given to me by a Romanov collector years ago. I keep meaning to get them framed but also keep forgetting about them.  They are rather large, I wonder  how one managed to wield them whilst have the meal? Or, were they just given out as souvenirs  after the meal? I also had a [real] proclamation, but it was in very bad shape so I sold it before it completely  fell apart.  Now, who got those, I wonder?  Everyone, or just the court?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:32:22 AM »
Each menu was laid at each place at table before the guests were seated.  It must have been a bit awkward to put them somewhere while eating!  One of ours appears to have a spot of food on the back!  The proclamations are out there in such large (comparatively) numbers that they were handed out to many people, not just the Court.

Offline PeterBB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:41:03 AM »
How many different menue appears that the Tsar coronation ceremony?
What dates were the addition of 15, 19, 20, 23, 25, 26?
Which of these dates is more unusual?

Offline PeterBB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 06:04:57 PM »
After a research came I to this is some date of the diner was 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 23, 25, 26 may 1896 and
this is a question if that was more of the coronation diner than these date?
This is possible to that was also a diner at 8 may 1896, are that some there know more about that?

Constantinople

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 10:02:12 AM »
it would be interesting to know what dishes were served at dinner, lunch and breakfasts.

Offline PeterBB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »
it would be interesting to know what dishes were served at dinner, lunch and breakfasts.

The menu for the coronation banquet of Nicholas II and Alexandra, held on 14 May 1896, included borshch, pirozhki, lamb, pheasant in aspic, fruit in wine, and ice cream.