Author Topic: Alix and Gretchen Fabrice  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Alix and Gretchen Fabrice
« on: April 05, 2004, 06:25:51 PM »
Hello Thomas,
Could you tell us more details about the book??? There´s no such book in amazon.com. I tried too through bookfinder.com but cannot find the book. If you could tell the author, publisher or title i would thank you very much.

Antonio.

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Alix and Gretchen Fabrice
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 07:08:09 PM »
Thanks Thomas!!
The information is great, hope i will get my copy.
When you are in Munchen please try to find the Kaulbach museum ( four years ago i couldn´t...). They preserve the dress that Alexandra used for the famous portrait that was in the Alexander palace. She presented it to Kaulbach and must be beautiful and a real piece of history, so don´t miss it!

Antonio.

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 10:49:05 PM »
I wonder if this is a book that could be translated--at least in part--for posting on this site?  Of course, copyright laws probably will prevent that.  But considering how many times we've read that Alexandra tended to make enemies, how nice it always is to read about her friendships!

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 04:10:13 PM »
Thanks for the details of the book!!!

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 01:53:15 PM »
Does anyone know the ISBN number of this book? I read through this post and see there were replies from Thomas with more details about the book, but they have since disappeared. I would like to get a copy one day, but have searched on the Internet by the title only and can't find it - any more details or ideas on where to get it? I know it's only in German, but it seems like such a wonderful book from what I have read on this and other threads, and has photos as well.

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 12:45:58 PM »
Hi Sarai,

I've got a copy of the book, but it seems to be a private local printing only because it does not have an ISBN number. I got my copy through writing to Rotraut von Prittwitz, the lady who's written the foreword, and asking for one. Unfortunately I no longer have the address. The publisher of the book is Heinrich Graf von Spreti.

Regards,
Silja

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Well, thank you very much for that information! At least I now know it doesn't have an ISBN number. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for it on eBay... :-\

Hi Sarai,

I've got a copy of the book, but it seems to be a private local printing only because it does not have an ISBN number. I got my copy through writing to Rotraut von Prittwitz, the lady who's written the foreword, and asking for one. Unfortunately I no longer have the address. The publisher of the book is Heinrich Graf von Spreti.

Regards,
Silja

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 01:47:56 PM »
The book is available from the museum shop at  the Mathildenhöhe at Darmstadt, but I don't have the shop's e-mail address. You might also try the main local bookshop at Darmstadt: Habel & Schlapp, Luisenstraße 12, 64283 Darmstadt, Germany. Tel: 06151-17650 ; Fax: 06151-176520 ; E-mail: habel@carree.buchhabel.de.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 01:52:01 PM by Helen »
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 05:23:56 PM »
Thank you very much for the information! I actually was told that the book was available at the Booksellers van Hoogstraten in the Netherlands and have ordered it through them. Hopefully your information will help others looking for the book, though.

The book is available from the museum shop at  the Mathildenhöhe at Darmstadt, but I don't have the shop's e-mail address. You might also try the main local bookshop at Darmstadt: Habel & Schlapp, Luisenstraße 12, 64283 Darmstadt, Germany. Tel: 06151-17650 ; Fax: 06151-176520 ; E-mail: habel@carree.buchhabel.de.

ImperialHighness

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 05:17:29 AM »
I hope this is new to you- I have seen that someone offers a book with the letters of Alix to her friend Gretchen Fabrice at ebay.com for a high bid and I think that s unfair, because the book is not rare as said in the offer.
You can easily order it here:
Heinrich Graf v. Spreti, Alix an Gretchen, softcover book
240 pages:
Rotraut v. Prittwitz u. Gaffron
Eichbichl 15
83565 Tegernau

The price is Euro 24.00 and Mrs v. Prittwitz u. Gaffron is very helpful if you want to pay in USD or by Paypal, cheque.
I can highly recommend this book, it s full of Alix letters, lists of the gifts they both exchanged with each other- but the book is mainly in German. No problem for me, cause I m German, but I just want to let you know.
I think it s unfair to sell a book at ebay by calling it rare if it s not- unfair to people who do not know. ;)

ImperialHighness

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 05:29:48 AM »
Alix an Gretchen is a little treasure. :)
I agree that the amount of money offered for a copy on eBay right now is absurd. Several bookstores and the museum shop at the Mathildenhoehe in Darmstadt sell it too - at the normal price.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 05:32:04 AM by Helen »
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 02:29:05 PM »
I hope this is new to you- I have seen that someone offers a book with the letters of Alix to her friend Gretchen Fabrice at ebay.com for a high bid and I think that s unfair, because the book is not rare as said in the offer.
You can easily order it here:
Heinrich Graf v. Spreti, Alix an Gretchen, softcover book
240 pages:
Rotraut v. Prittwitz u. Gaffron
Eichbichl 15
83565 Tegernau

Thanks for posting the address. Somebody recently asked for it in the books thread, and although I got a copy some time ago I couldn't remember the address.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 02:32:18 PM by Silja »

ImperialHighness

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 03:46:44 AM »
Please do not try to get the book anymore- I just got a letter by the seller Rotraud of Prittwitz that the book is sold out and not available anymore. She told me that she had sold all her copies and the ones which had been given to the tourist agency at Darmstadt are sold out, too.
Sorry, but now the book is rare.
I ve got me the last two copies and I m glad that I did that, cause I know so many people who would like to read it. But Mrs Prittwitz told me it ll not be re-published at the moment.  :-[

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 04:25:05 AM »
It is really a shame that it will not be published anymore...tho' some minor corrections would be necessary it is one of my favourite books and after reading the wonderful foreword by Frau von Prittwitz I wrote to her, thanking for handing out these documents to a larger public, and had soon afterwards the fortune to meet her and get deeper into Gretchen's story.
That is what I love: old friendships gain new ones  :D

Do everything possible to get hold of a copy!
Meine Kaiserin