Author Topic: Standart - A Model of the Yacht  (Read 19096 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
Re: Standart - A Model of the Yacht
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »
That is marvelous work on the model.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 09:56:26 PM »
Douglas, my husband asked me if the Standart was completely made of wood, or was part of the hull made of steel?
Thank you! I wish at some point you would post over head photos of your wonderful model as well. Yes, I'm greedy lol!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Constantinople

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 01:09:37 PM »
I think the hull was steel and the decking was probably teak with the upper structures steel with wood ornamentation where possible.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 07:45:50 PM »
I think the hull was steel and the decking was probably teak with the upper structures steel with wood ornamentation where possible.
Thank you,  that makes sense really. Such a sleek , yet large vessel would need steel for its hull...imo

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 10:22:31 AM »
Douglas, my husband asked me if the Standart was completely made of wood, or was part of the hull made of steel?
Thank you! I wish at some point you would post over head photos of your wonderful model as well. Yes, I'm greedy lol!

The yacht was constructed in Denmark due to the connections that the Romanov's had with the Danish Royal family.

This twin screw vessel was  built of mild steel on the longitudinal cellular bottom principle, the water ballast compartments containing 460 tons of water. The twenty four Belleville water-tube boilers were placed in two rows back to back in two boiler rooms separated by a water tight transverse bulkhead hence twelve boilers in each room.  The connection between the boiler- and engine-rooms was established by means of watertight doors.

The framing of the hull consisted of Z-bars, the frame spacing being 0,89 meter (35 in.) amidships and 0,76 meter (30 in.) at ends. The stem, sternpost and propeller brackets were of cast steel.  The hull was divided into a large number of watertight compartments, whilst to reduce rolling large bilge keels were fitted running nearly half the length of the ship. The rudder was constructed in the ordinary way with a frame of forged steel.

The pole masts were of steel with topmasts of Oregon pine. Two out of the three decks were of steel, covered with pitch pine and teak on all parts exposed to the elements.

Standart had twelve boats, of which four were steam launches about 12 meter (40 ft.) long. The boat davits were operated by worm gearing after a design of the French Navy.

The armament consisted of eight 47-millimeter quick firing Hotchkiss guns intended for saluting; the guns were made in Russia and were nickel plated.

The yacht was listed in Jane's as an Armed Yacht.  Warnings were issued and printed in local newspapers for all ships to steer clear of this yacht and to not enter within it's defensive zone.  "All boats or ships entering this zone will be fired upon without warning." Several Russian Navy guard ships were always standing by at a polite distance from the yacht.

For the wood work in cabins the most costly woods had been used. For the Imperial suites, for instance, solid cherry; for the Empress-Dowager's suites and Grand Duke's compartments, birch; for the drawing-room, walnut; in the Imperial dining-room, ash; in the corridors, oak, bird's-eye maple and white beech. In the crew space the wood-work was made of oak and pine, the latter painted with white enamel. In the Imperial rooms the walls were covered with pressed leather, cretonne and silk. No gilding whatever was used, on account of a special wish expressed by the Emperor [at that time Alexander III].

It may have been the most luxurious yacht to ever be built up to that time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:46:07 AM by Douglas »

Constantinople

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 02:39:45 PM »
it was also the most modern with an electrical system and air conditiioning.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
Thank you Douglas and Constantinople! I love reading about the yacht. 
 Douglas, you write very well . Making  that info rich  technical  information enjoyable reading isn't easy! Thanks again

Olga Nikolaevna

Constantinople

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 01:56:55 AM »
I was thinking abouot writing books on royal yachts but I don't have a technical background.

Offline NAOTMAA Fan

• Boyar
  • I love NAOTMAA ....and Holly ...most ardently
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 10:27:51 PM »
Dear. Sweet. Jesus.
That is SO exquisitely done.
Well done, sir. Well done.
"...I am in Tatiana's room...Olga and Tatiana are here. I am sitting and digging in my nose with my left hand... Olga wanted to slap me but I ran away from her swinish hand..."
-Anastasia Nicholaievna Romanova, May 8th, 1913