Author Topic: Convent of Grand Duchess Elizaveta Fedorovna  (Read 41452 times)

Offline Anya

• God bless NAOTMAA
    • View Profile
Re: Convent of Grand Duchess Elizaveta Fedorovna
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 03:46:22 PM »
Ella's statue in the Convent (July 2005)

Offline Dominic_Albanese

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 05:01:56 PM »
Anya - this is a marvelous picture - do you have any more recent pictures of the convent?

best,
dca

AlexP

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 06:20:17 PM »
Is the order of nuns that Ella founded still extant? i.e. the one's in Jerusalem that tend her grave, are they a continuation or a rivival of the original order  or even a seperate order altogether ?
The same with the original convent in Moscow, who will maintain the complex when it is finished with restoration? I seem to recall the original order of nuns was ordered disbanded, or am I mistaken there?
And:
With whom are they  affiliated, the Patriarch or the ROCOR ?
Esoteric details perhaps, but I am curious.
Cheers,
Robert

Dear Robert,

In the Russian Orthodox Church, there is no particular "order" of nuns as there is the Roman Catholic church.  Nuns in the Russian Orthodox Church are attached in most cases directly to a particular convent from which they derive their name.  In other cases, nuns may be placed at the disposal of a Bishop, Archbishop, etc., in which case they have no convental "name".  In other cases, they may be attached to hospitals and convents and in addition to being nuns, they are given the honorifc title of "sisters of mercy".  But a "sister of mercy" need not always be nun.

In any case, after the 1917 Revolution, every single convent in Russia was closed and the majority of the nuns, may their souls rest in peace, were shot on-the-spot.  Priests or bishops may have been in some cases deported to Soloveki in the far north of Russia, and may have survived the deportation (the majority of whom did not) but the nuns, again, may their souls rest in peace, were usually killed.  That is how the Bolsheviks behaved.

Thus, Ella's order was liquidated but I cannot speak with certainty as to the fate of the sisters who were with her.

Her convent in Moscow will be placed under the jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox in Moscow.  Her relics in Jerusalem are tended by the nuns of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.

However, these two distinctions are about to become history as it is most probable that the reunification of these branches of the Russian Church will be announced in early 2006.  All of the documents have been prepared and are just awaiting formal approval, which is expected on both ends.

It is my understanding that when the Convent and the "obitelii" are fully restored that the Patriarch will re-establish a full convent on the site.

Hope that helps.  

With all of the best from Shanghai,

A.A.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AlexP »

NAAOTMA

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 11:21:51 PM »
How wonderful to see a real garden surrounding the statue. What a difference a year can make!

Offline Anya

• God bless NAOTMAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 11:28:09 AM »
Anya - this is a marvelous picture - do you have any more recent pictures of the convent?

best,
dca

Yes, I'll post them soon! =) I just arrived from Russia and haven't even seen all the pictures myself.

Offline Jaie

• View Profile
    • Frippery
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 12:04:38 AM »
Orthodox England has this to say about the order:
Since 1998 we have been approached by a number of young girls both from England and the United States and also two professed nuns who have inquired about the possibility of establishing an English-language Orthodox Convent in Felixstowe.

Such a Convent would be faithful to the Russian Orthodox Tradition and Calendar, but expressed in the English language. It would be dedicated to the Holy New Martyr the Grand Duchess Elizabeth. Such a dedication would be most apt, given the Grand Duchess' Elizabeth's many visits to England and the many records and photographs of her visits here, which are kept in the Royal Archives at Windsor Castle and Elizabeth's cousin's family visit to Felixstowe in July 1891.

Having spoken to Archbishop Mark about these inquiries, we were given the following advice. The Archbishop would not give his blessing to a new Convent without the initial presence of three nuns. Also, he is concerned that as a working priest, I would not be able to give the nuns the regular liturgical life, time and spiritual care which they would require.

I fully obey and agree with Archbishop Mark's advice. Moreover, despite the presence of an Orthodox church, priest and choir in Felixstowe and all the liturgical resources required, I cannot see how humanly any of this is possible, given our complete lack of financial resources. We would need hundreds of thousands of pounds in order to accommodate nuns, pay for the running costs of a Convent and provide daily liturgical services. However, it is also true that the need for an English-language Convent, faithful to the Russian Orthodox Tradition, is becoming more and more acute.

Offline Anya

• God bless NAOTMAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 05:09:08 PM »

Offline Pippilin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2006, 06:31:38 PM »
For Anya or any member who has visited it:
  Would you be able to give me the street address of the Mary and Martha convent?  I'm going to be in Russia in September 2006 and want very much to visit it.  I can't seem to find an address anywhere.
Is the convent located in central Moscow or on the outskirts?  At what time and on what days are there liturgy services?
I'd really appreciate any information you might be able to give me .  Thanks!  

Offline Pippilin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »
No need to reply to the above post.  I believe I have found the address of the convent and its official name:  
            Convent of Mercy of St. Martha and St. Mary
             Bolshaya Ordynka, 34
             Moscow
             tel. (095) 951-84-46 or 951-11-39

Bolshaya Ordynka appears to run due south of the Moscow River ; Red Square is due north of it.

Offline AllyB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 02:23:13 AM »
I'm going to be in Moscow next week for work and wanted to try to go to the convent on Sunday afternoon - does anyone know if it is open to visitors?
Thanks in advance,
AllyB

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 04:24:55 AM »
Convent is open to enter for anybody.
There is a very good book shop in the convent.
The Nesterov Church is under restoration now.
There is an orphanage in the Convent with 10 ( I suppose) girls inside from 4-16.
There is also a Monastery food shop inside.
The Convent has an activity to collect the funds and things for orphans.
There is a very peaceful atmosphere inside in spite of the fact that it is in the center of Moscow.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 10:10:12 AM »
I'm going to be in Moscow next week for work and wanted to try to go to the convent on Sunday afternoon - does anyone know if it is open to visitors?
Thanks in advance,
AllyB

Oh luck you AllyB! How interesting that would be. Please try and get some photos would you? :):)
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Ena

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:48 PM »
I will be in Moscow this November.  Is the convent easy to get to from Red Square or would I need to arrange transportation?  From the maps I've seen it looks walkable.  Also, one can just go there?  I recall reading somewhere that you had to make arrangements, but the posts above indicate otherwise.  Thanks!

Offline Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 07:55:12 AM »
Hi Ena

I went to the convent about 10 years ago whilst in Moscow and it is walkable from Red Square. I seem to remember it was on the road directly leading to Red Square, it was very easy to get to, and one went passed a large McDonalds on the way which looked very out of place.  It took about 15/20 minutes walking (in snowy weather). 

Annette

Offline susana

• 50 years Romanov obsession. Believe that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 07:21:44 PM »
I visited it in July 1997; attended a service in the building where the Grand Duchesses' quarters were and toured the church. Everything was still on the grounds but pretty run-down. The orphanage and hospital were not open to visitors at that time but the place was run by nuns or sisters of mercy who were proud of their habits which were modelled on those of Ella's sisters. Different fabric and color but very similar. It was a peaceful place right in the middle of Moscow and just a few steps from a major street. Actually the tour gave us a choice of seeing Lenin's body or Ella's convent. I heard Lenin had a band aid on his little finger--no way! Ella won hand's down.
I'm redefining myself at present--any suggestions?