Author Topic: Romanovs, by Staffan Skott  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Katia

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Romanovs, by Staffan Skott
« on: September 22, 2004, 12:28:38 AM »
I think this amazing book has not been mentioned here before (correct if I'm wrong!)

I don't know if it is ever translated in english. It's originally a swedish book by a journalist and writer Staffan Skott, who has made an enormous job by interviewing the Romanov family members who survived the revolution. The book tells the history of the Romanov rulers and their families as well as the grand dukes, including the terrible fates some of them suffered, but it mostly focuses on the "survivors". They have lots of interesting stories to tell. I have a copy in finnish, it is called "Romanovit. Keisarisuku. Keitš he olivat? Mitš heistš tuli?" (Romanovs. The imperial family. Who were they? What became of them?) The publisher is Schildts and it came out in 1989.

The book has a good illustration (black and white photographs). Some of the photos I've never seen elsewhere.

Does anybody know if the book has been translated in english and has somebody else here read it?

Katia

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
Re: Romanovs, by Staffan Skott
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 01:20:31 AM »
Hi Katia,

I have mentioned this book a few times on other threads on this discussion panel.

My Russian language copy was published by Zaharov in Moscow in 2002. It is titled Romanovi, Biographia Dinastii [The Romanovs, Biography of a Dynasty].

It contains an updated preface with a few modifications and corrections to the original 1989 edition. The recent second edition contains new sections and chapters about the meetings held in Ekaterinburg in 1992 and 1993 concerning the relics, a short chapter on the possible restoration of a monarchy in Russia and finally, the burial of the relics in P. P. Fortress in 1998.

It seems that the photographs have not been updated to include the more recent events.

As far as I am aware this book has not been translated into English.

IMHO this is one of the best books written about the Romanovs, those who survived after the revolution and the new generations in exile :D

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Belochka »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Katia

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 01:31:45 AM »
Wow, I didn't know it was translated in russian, and updated! And so recently! Great!
:D
I find the book extremely interesting, too!

Hope there would be an english translation, because there are so many people around the world who are interesed in Romanov family, and not all of them can speak or read russian/finnish/swedish!
Katia

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 01:51:14 AM »
Hi Katia,

It doesn't hurt for others to learn a bit of Russian in these cases! ;)!

There are quite a few books about the Romanovs which I doubt will ever be translated. My family library contains a huge multi-volume set which describes each Russian ruler in one or two tomes for each identity. These books were produced during the 1990's in Russia.

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Mark_Chicago

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 03:46:44 PM »
I have written to Mr. Skott and he has said the book "has been translated in Swedish, Russian, Finnish, Polish and Estonian"!  He said he would be very "happy to have it translated into English.  There have been attempts, but it is a difficult project".

IMHO, if there is an audience for this book in Estonian, surely an English language edition should be feasible.

It's too bad since this looks like a wonderful book!

Mark

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »
I am reading the book right now in Swedish and I agree it's great! Skott is both critical, compassionate and funny and it appears he is a Slavicist, i.e. he knows Russian, so he also draws on Russian-language sources and Soviet historiography, which I must say is a must when researching the Romanovs. Besides, it's interesting to see the Romanovs analyzed from a Nordic (royal) perspective, especially through Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna the Younger's fate.