Author Topic: A Dry Ship to the Mountains  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
A Dry Ship to the Mountains
« on: December 13, 2009, 09:00:29 PM »
This book, by Daniel Farson, had the author travelling through the Caucasus as his father had previously done in 1929. Seems his parents were both in Russia before the Revolution. He quotes from his mother the following little anecdotes. She was working at the Anglo-Russian Hospital in Petrograd, and described when Empress Maria Fedorovna came with Olga and Tatiana to open it..."We heard a crowd moving slowly up the stairs, and a small dowdy woman in black, like a plain edition of our Alexandra, but with a very sweet expression, came in...The two little princesses, Olga and Tatiana, came and looked quite charming and so pretty in little ermine hatswith white ospreys in themand little low-necked rose-coloured frocks and ermine furs and muffs. Olga is the prettiest and really lovely I thought, and so jolly-looking and natural." The mother ends up sitting by the knees on the ground by MF. There is a photo in the book, and I have seen it elsewhere too, perhaps in Love, Power and Tragedy. Maybe someone can post it. She also described Anastasia as "a little girl with her hair down her back and an Alice-in-Wonderland comb." and Alexei on the "unforgettable day when the little Tsarevitch came, one of the most beautiful children I ever saw." Also mentions how Dmitry and Felix Yusupov burst into the hospital covered in blood after killing Rasputin.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
Re: A Dry Ship to the Mountains
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 10:38:34 PM »
This book, by Daniel Farson, .... Also mentions how Dmitry and Felix Yusupov burst into the hospital covered in blood after killing Rasputin.

Georgiy,

I have a lot of difficulty accepting the veracity of this anecdote. Could you please tell me what else Farson writes about this alleged incident?

Thanks in advance,

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 03:19:03 PM »
I'll have to check and see, but as far as I remember that is all his mother remembered.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »
Here is the quote about the night Rasputin was murdered: "My mother remembered the historic night when the Crown Prince [sic] Dimitri burst into the hospital, his former palace, with Prince Felix Yusupov...they were in such a hysterical state that the doctors thought they were drunk, until they noticed the blood. They had just murdered Rasputin."

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:16:14 PM »
Here is the quote about the night Rasputin was murdered: "My mother remembered the historic night when the Crown Prince [sic] Dimitri burst into the hospital, his former palace, with Prince Felix Yusupov...they were in such a hysterical state that the doctors thought they were drunk, until they noticed the blood. They had just murdered Rasputin."

Many thanks for responding so quickly Georgiy!

There are a couple issues which indicate to me that this anecdote falls into the creative writing basket.

As I had suspected earlier there are a number of problems with this published extract. Just to mention a few here now ...

Firstly, Dmitri was not a "Crown Prince" (as you have also noted) and secondly Dmitri and Felix did not leave the Yusupov Palace together following the murder and then just turn up at the Anglo-Russian Hospital. The hospital was given a designated area within the Palace complex, which was still Dmitri's home, with his own separate entrance.

No doubt who ever was responsible for 'remembering' or writing about this myth wanted to add some spice to their story telling.

Margarita
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:31:06 PM by Belochka »

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 08:13:21 PM »
Probably so! Still it would be interesting to see if there were any other memoires from English nurses or doctors there at the time, and what they say or write about it all. Probably only unpublished diaries or letters unfortunately.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 07:20:44 PM »
Probably so! Still it would be interesting to see if there were any other memoires from English nurses or doctors there at the time, and what they say or write about it all. Probably only unpublished diaries or letters unfortunately.

Recognizing that staff levels would have been minimal at that early hour of the morning and given all the other factors mentioned earlier, I would be pretty certain that no one else would have had anything to say or write on that matter.

Margarita