Author Topic: The Tatiana Committee  (Read 10852 times)

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
The Tatiana Committee
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »
In the book "A Whole Empire Walking Refugees in Russia During WW I" by Peter Gatrell one organization that played a role in helping refugees that was set up early in the war was "The Tatiana Committee For the Relief of War Victims" which was originally set up to care for soldiers widows and orphans.  The Tatiana who its named after is TN. It been awhile since I read it but I believe it does give a good account of how and why it was set up and how it got into the care of refugees. Note: there were several million of them in Russia during WW I. Just thought the people on this site would like to know.  I believe she is mentioned more than a few times in this book.

Offline Olga Bernice

• Graf
  • <-*Photo Courtesy: GD Ally*
    • View Profile
    • Colors Of The Rose
Re: The Tatiana Committee
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »
Very interesting, James! (I guess that's what we need to call you . . . ?) Now, was Tatiana actually the brains behind the committee, or was it just the fact that they had her name in there that it helped the cause?
Mashka . . . Olya . . . Tatya . . . Nastya

Many thanks to Laura Mabee for the banner!!

"We played on the swing, that was when I roared with laughter, the fall was so wonderful! Indeed!"
ANR, May 7, 1918

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »
I believe her mother set the committee up. Even though Tatiana was 17 in 1914 and worked as a nurse she did take time to read the records ect of this committee with her mother according to "The Life and Trajedy of AF" on this site. It also mentions her going to weekly meetings. No doubt if the committee had problems she probably talked to her parents about them ect. So I would say she was probably a little of both.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »
 I believe that Tatiana was more than just a figurehead for her committee. Or at least more so than many royals or aristocrats were. It's true that the day- to -day running of a significant committee like hers would be carried out by an older, more experienced person (or more). Tatiana's mobility (her free movement beyond Tsarskoe Selo) was limited by circumstances and status, as well as by her duties as a nurse in the hospital where she worked. But she attended weekly meetings  and I think would have known that her input could help get action moving and resources made available. She wasn't nicknamed "the governess' for nothing.And it was obvious she had the Empress' ear (!)
Rodney G.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:55:29 PM »
This book is on Amazon.com and parts of it are avalible to read. this includes 2 of the 5 times Tatiana was mentioned pages 251 & 262. It seems I was a little off on my first posting but i just found this.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:30:17 PM »
On the Great war fourms eastern front section there is a posting where the Russian wartime magazine War Notes, Noennie Letopis is online. It has a number of wartime pics of the IF and the captions are in English. There appears to be an artical in Russian only in a 1916 edition that deals with the Tatania committee.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 05:56:53 PM »
the war notes artical is at pitures #1707 and 1708 the latter is a photo of A.B. Neydgart who looks like the chairman of the committee. It can be found at http://genrogger.ru/wwi1914-1917

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:04:40 PM »
I'm having a dreadful time navigating those pages. If anyone can post direct links to the photos, or post the photos themselves here, I'd appreciate it.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 09:10:05 AM »
We recently acquired an original design drawing for one of the TN Committee fund raising posters. Rather interesting.  I thought users might like to see it:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:11:29 PM by Forum Admin »

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
Was the 29th May 1915 the date the Charity was established?  I seem to have been this date on other items related to Tatiana's Committee.

On the poster, I believe I can make out "1 ruble" in the yellow square....was that the requested donation amount?

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 11:58:25 PM »
Interesting looking banner.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 12:03:19 AM »
Amazingly imposing. Thank you for posting! I love the graphics from this time

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »
Was the 29th May 1915 the date the Charity was established?  I seem to have been this date on other items related to Tatiana's Committee.

On the poster, I believe I can make out "1 ruble" in the yellow square....was that the requested donation amount?

Yes, one ruble was the requested donation amount.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 10:16:29 AM »
FA, Thank you for sharing the poster!