Author Topic: How tall  (Read 16939 times)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: How tall
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 09:57:57 AM »
If Alexei was 5ft 7 during the time at Tobolsk, that's pretty tall for 13. From the photo of them sawing wood at Tobolsk, I'd say Alexei was still shorter than Nicholas, but not very much - say 5ft 4.

How tall were Dimitri Pavlovich and Mikhail Alexandrovich? Radzinsky's book on Rasputin has a photo of the two of them sitting on the ground back to back. Both obviously tall, and distinctly long in the leg.

Ann

Offline Olgasha

• Knyaz
  • Михаил Александрович Романов
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 10:12:41 AM »
Michael Aleksandrovich was over six feet tall.
But the tallest Romanow of whole family was Grand Duke Nicholas Nicholaevich (Nikolasha) - he was six feet six inches tall.
Мишкин, Мишкин… - зашелестел кумачовым флагом на улице озорник ветер...

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 10:49:50 AM »
My rough feeling is around 6ft 2-3 for both Mikhail and Dimitri. To judge from photos, there was a definite Romanov physical type, which was tall and lean with long legs.. We need only look at Mikhail, Dimitri, Nikolai Nikolaievich, Dimitri Konstantinovich and Sergei Alexandrovich Alexander III was unusual in being tall and heavily built, and Nicholas II in being short (though well-proportioned).

Nicholas presumably got his lack of height from his mother, though she didn't come from a short family - her nephews Christian X and Haakon VII were both well over 6ft.

Ann (5ft 6)

Offline Nicolá De Valerón

• Graf
  • Soul to God, Loyality to Crown, Honor to nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 11:40:01 AM »
The height of my beloved of the later Romanovs Dmitry Pavlovich was not lower than 6' 3" or 6' 4" (190 cm, 193 cm). He was very tall, but rather thin compared to the giant Alexander III. That's why on all photos he doesn't look very tall.

Not very tall, compared to him,
Nicola (6' 0", 184 cm) ;)
"I think that if Shakespeare lived in our times he would not be able to write. Many of his works are not welcome on stage nowadays: The Merchant of Venice – anti-Semitism, Othello – racism, The Taming of the Shrew – sexism, Romeo and Juliet - hideous heterosexual show..." - Vladimir Bukovsky.

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 11:45:09 AM »
Alexei was not close to 5'7, nor was Nicholas. The bones show this very clearly, even if they were a little off!

"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Russka Princess

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
i think Alix was so high, because of the shoes and hats.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:29:43 PM by Russka Princess »

Offline NAOTMAA Fan

• Boyar
  • I love NAOTMAA ....and Holly ...most ardently
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 03:38:41 AM »
You should use this, it converts different unities into others:

http://manuelsweb.com/in_cm.htm

So, Nicholas was 170, 2 cm tall, while Alexandra was 180,3. (I doubt, according to Anastasia Spalko's post) Quite taller than her husband. According to www.romanov-memorial.com , and after exhumations, heights of remains were:

158-165   Olga
165-170   Nikolai
166-171   Tatiana   Maria
162-171   Anastasia   Tatiana
163-168   Aleksandra

[EDIT : As for Alexei and Anastasia, there were speculations for Tsarevich's real height in summer of 1918, some say that he was either taller or as same height as Nicholas II.]
Heh, how interesting, I also used proportions to define precisely which of GDs was missing, and all my results match to Maria to be missing one, which was my conclusion before. Math calculations showed me that chances are reflect to Maria to be missing one.

How can, based on your calculations, the body found in the original 1991 graves be Anastasia's and not Maria's? Anastasia was, by most accounts, only 5'2... equaling to about 155-157 cm. Yet you have declared she was 162-171? Maybe if she had been 5'6... as Maria is commonly declared to have been (5'6= approx. 167 cm).  If these mathematical calculations are what lead you to believe in Maria being the missing girl, then I dare say you have been shammed by a most erroneous conclusion. The remains of the larger body in the 2007 graves was even measured at 5'2. On top of this, the remains in the initial grave suffered wounds that correlate to those suffered by Maria as dictated by eye witness accounts. I don't know how many times I've gone through my personal evidence and revelations, but I personally feel it needless to say that the missing girl was not Maria as some believe it. That is of course a controversial outlook, but my own nonetheless.

As far as Nicholas and Alexei go, based on the wood sawing photo taken in Tobolsk, Alexei appears a few inches shorter than Nicky (possibly 3-4?). I personally don't feel he'd matched Nicholas in height by July 1918, but again it's all mere speculation.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:40:21 AM by NAOTMAA Fan »
"...I am in Tatiana's room...Olga and Tatiana are here. I am sitting and digging in my nose with my left hand... Olga wanted to slap me but I ran away from her swinish hand..."
-Anastasia Nicholaievna Romanova, May 8th, 1913

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 04:08:09 AM »
Alexander III was certainly a very big man! By happy chance, I saw two of his uniforms on successive days in different countries. One in the Military Museum in Brussels (Cossacks of the Guard), the other the Preobrazhensky uniform he wore at his coronation at the V & A in London. Nicholas II's coronation uniform was also at the V & A, and the difference in size between him and his father was very noticeable. Nicholas's uniform was clearly made for a slim, fit man, though not a tall one, while Alexander was just plain huge!

The Brussels Military Museum has a lot of Imperial Russian material, on permanent display (unlike the stuff at the V & A, which was a temporary exhibition. Apparently, there was quite a large White Russian 'colony' in Belgium, and various people were fortunate enough to get out with their uniforms, and the Cossacks of the Guard even managed to save their regimental silver (unfortunately my French wasn't quite up to understanding how they did it!) Well worth a visit if you're in Brussels.

If I can work out how to do it I'll post some of the pictures I took in Brussels.

Ann

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »
Hi Keegan!

I haven't declared that Nastenka was 162 - 171. I copied those information from the already mentioned site, Romanov-Memorial, done by Russian examination/exhumation team, on the head with Mr. Abramov. Only for comparable uses with my results.
-----------------------------------------
And, there is no preciser/most exact science than mathematics is. Better to say, Geometry, proportions rules and such. I just used my ruler, which doesn't lie, photos also (with all needed conditions mentioned in the thread I opened about Children's Heights) and I got numbers, decimal ones, which again, don't lie. Also, we have no exact evidence about their heights in the summer of 1918. I am pretty sure that they have been grown up rapidly. Using facial dimensions and executioners' stories, it is more than obvious that No 5. Is Tatiana, I mean the skull, and using the elimination system, No. 6 is Anastasia. My target was to determine their heights in approximated measurements, and by that way to try to find out, who was the missing one, M or A?  Also, many bones miss. And so on, and so on. Anastasia indeed had grown up during 1917/8 winter at Tobolsk.
----------------------------------------
Also, we must have in minds that , but unfortunately , all the stories about IF's remains are the part of wider plan. And again one well - known fact : American and Russians results are at some points very contradict. If anyone has any proof to diminish my beliefs, at first that Maria was not the missing one, please, say freely with arguments, of course.

I hope I cleared some things, and I didn't mean to offend anyone. If i did, my SINCERE apologies.

I believe that Alexei was a bit shorter than his father. I am sorry, I want to write more, but right now, am not able. Regards to all!
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline NAOTMAA Fan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »
Hi Keegan!

I haven't declared that Nastenka was 162 - 171. I copied those information from the already mentioned site, Romanov-Memorial, done by Russian examination/exhumation team, on the head with Mr. Abramov. Only for comparable uses with my results.
-----------------------------------------
And, there is no preciser/most exact science than mathematics is. Better to say, Geometry, proportions rules and such. I just used my ruler, which doesn't lie, photos also (with all needed conditions mentioned in the thread I opened about Children's Heights) and I got numbers, decimal ones, which again, don't lie. Also, we have no exact evidence about their heights in the summer of 1918. I am pretty sure that they have been grown up rapidly. Using facial dimensions and executioners' stories, it is more than obvious that No 5. Is Tatiana, I mean the skull, and using the elimination system, No. 6 is Anastasia. My target was to determine their heights in approximated measurements, and by that way to try to find out, who was the missing one, M or A?  Also, many bones miss. And so on, and so on. Anastasia indeed had grown up during 1917/8 winter at Tobolsk.
----------------------------------------

I still fail to see how it could possible be Anastasia. You declare she had "indeed grown up during 1917/ 1918 winter at Tobolsk"....but from 5'2 to almost 5'7?! Really? Not only is that entirely unfeasible, but highly unlikely. Females aren't likely to grow/ develop much in their late teens, growth of the body (such as height) usually occur in early adolescence. By the age of 17 Anastasia's growth rate would have been dwindling. I might agree to maybe growing another inch or two, but 5? Alexandra would have HAD to state something like that in her diary or letters...instead the only anecdote recorded is how short, dumpy, and frumpy Anastasia was. Doesn't exactly sound to me as if she "blossomed" during the winter and spring months of 1918. And you speak of an elimination system. You mean in regards to the Russian's results? Not only are there various inaccuracies in their research, of which Holly would be more than willing to go into detail on, but they leave me entirely unconvinced. All this pedantic bantering about the same old stuff is getting tiresome.

Things I've already posted some time ago:
Anastasia was about 2-3 inches shorter than Olga who was 5'5. That would make Anastasia about 5'2-53. I remember reading somewhere she was 5'2 but I can't find the source at the moment.
I highly doubt Alexei was 5'7. If he had grown taller than Nicholas that wouldn't be saying much considering he was very short. Pictures taken in Tobolsk show him still rather small and definitely shorter than Tatiana who was 5'7.

I would agree most ardently with this. Maybe give an inch, but you can see from photos that around 5'7-8 is a probable height for Tatiana. And I've read too that Olga was 5'5. Considering all this Anastasia is obviously shorter than Alexei...we've come to that conclusion...Also I beleive Marie was 5'6 on basis of the fact that she shares the same height as a rifle in a photograph taken during the months of confinement at the Alexander Palace. I looked up the standard height of a rifle in WWI and it was 5'6. Now about Alexei's height, I really do doubt with the highest amount of incredulity that Alexei reached 5'8. Nicholas II was said to be 5'4/5 and in the photograph taken in Tobolsk during the winter of 1917, you can see that Alexei is more or less the same height as his father, maybe even the slightest bit less. In regards to everyone else, this is but my own opinion.

OTMA in March 1917:

Tatiana compared in height to her father in winter of 1916:

Maria and the Guard's rifle:

Alexei and Nicholas (imagine them standing straight, you must admit they would be about the same height)

Olga and Anastasia in Tobolsk 1917:

"...I am in Tatiana's room...Olga and Tatiana are here. I am sitting and digging in my nose with my left hand... Olga wanted to slap me but I ran away from her swinish hand..."

Offline NAOTMAA Fan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »
Even more:

i think many people's view will change now the dna is confirmed.

and maby they all go for marie now instead of anastasia

If a persons "admiration" for Anastasia is changed because of the fact that she is finally accounted for, then they really didn't like her in the first place.

And I think you're missing the point in this. They are all found now. There won't be any more "survivor" things. Notice how all the papers say, "Romanov Mystery Finally Solved", etc.. It's over now. Anyone who claims it to be otherwise won't be payed any attention to.
(You don't even know if Maria is the missing sister. It's more likely to be Anastasia in my opinion. There's nothing at all that points to it being Maria except for the Russian's not wanting to look at the evidence again. Everyone else, including evidence, says Anastasia!)
Thank God it's over. ::)

But then there's the fact that none of the skeletons had the kind of immature bone development you would find in a 17 year old, but not in a 19 year old.

Honestly now, I don't know how many times I've posted the same facts over and over again, but for the benefit of anyone who's interested: here I go again. First of all, I feel Holly's got it right that the new female body is Anastasia. Anyone who has actually got off of their posteriors and actually read a book on the remains and isn't some idiosyncratic Anna Anderson supporter will have deduced that Anastasia is the missing daughter buried with Alexei. a) The body said to have been buried by Yurovsky separately with Alexei (with an attempt to be burned) was thought to be Anna Demidova-- the plump lady''s maid--Anastasia was about the same physical match to her at the time of her death (short, stout, plump)--Maria had thinned out like Olga and Tatiana and was, if not the tallest, tall. b)The original skeleton that was "Anastasia" had spinal fusions that only appear on adolescents older than 18-- Anastasia had only just turned 17 a month before her death whilst Maria was 19. c) All of the wounds inflicted on the body from the original grave correlate to those Maria is said--by eyewitnesses--to have suffered (shattered femur bone, Maria was seen to have collapsed while hurling herself at the backdoor when shot in the thigh, etc.) d) All of the faces had been smashed in by rifle butts so no one could rightly identify the women from each other (hence Yurovsky identifying one of the girls as the maid).

I'm sure someone could come up with little tid bits of information to object my thoughts, but this is all from what I've read up from the scientists themselves. Regardless, they're all seemingly accounted for.

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »
There is absolutely nothing pointing towards No. 6 being Anastasia instead of Maria.
The only people saying it's Maria are the Russian's and they're basing that on mostly superimposition on skulls with glued together faces.
When they The body of No. 6 fits the wounds Maria is said to have received in the executioners accounts and is roughly 5'7 which is the height Maria was. If you watch the Nova documentary (I believe it was the Nova one), they are looking at a picture of Maria but misidentify it as Anastasia and say Anastasia was 5'7 instead of Maria being 5'7.
The newly found body is roughly 5'2, which was the height of Anastasia.
Besides the obvious conclusion you could come to with heights, by maturity of the bones (which the American's used and is more accurate) it would be nearly impossible for Anastasia's remains to be present in the first grave.
 With all of this I'm puzzled as to how one could say Maria was the missing girl. Please, Nena, I'm honestly confused here.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline NAOTMAA Fan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 04:32:04 PM »

N,A,O,T?, M?, A?:

hope you love pic.!  ;)

If you actually stare and analyze this picture, the shape of the skull on the end looks far more like Maria (especially in the jaw).

Here's what Holly is talking about:
Guess you were there with your tape measure.

Dmitri, I find your seemingly high sense of self assuredness on who is who in the crypt somewhat idiosyncratic. Perhaps you are in possession of information we were not aware of?? Unless you have unassailable proof that it is Anastasia buried in The Fortress of St. Peter and Paul, I should think it would be only fair to stop plaguing others for their own beliefs.

I also thought I might add something of interest. Some years ago I watched a documentary that involved the 1991 remains and whether or not Anastasia was in the grave. It could be Nova's Anastasia, Dead or Alive? or even the A&E's Anastasia, but I do recall them using height to distinguish between Marie and Anastasia. The scientists (I recall them being Russian) method was to take the height of the rifle of a soldier standing beside "Anastasia" and use it to see if it matched the height of the skeleton found (as it would seem the rifle and the Grand Duchess are the same size) . It went on later to say there was a match concluding it was Anastasia. However I have recently viewed this photograph again and realized it is Marie pictured, not her sister. I do not know if this was later corrected but I thought it would be of interest to some. Does anyone recall any documentary with this piece of evidence?

Here is the photograph they used:

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »
We are in topic-off now. Please, let's go at this thread:
http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php?topic=9697.60

There we will continue discussion that I find so interesting. I finally found people of my age I can share my opinions and beliefs with. My post is to come, as soon as I am possible. I sense it will be a long one. Shall we? I will do all my efforts in all this story. At least, all is circling in what we WANT to believe, and in what side we want to believe, or to be even more exact, what we think which side is more correct. To be said soon.

Nena.

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2010, 07:39:32 PM »
We are in topic-off now. Please, let's go at this thread:
http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php?topic=9697.60

I have done it. If you are interested , you may take a look. Warmest regards! I must admit, all story is confusing to me too......But one is the point -- they are now finally together, no matter which GD once was missing. Really. I am agreed that Anastasia indeed was 5,2 - 5,3 by 1918, I haven't said that she wasn't, I proved it from Tobolsk photo with her sister Olga. :). Story is finished to me.