Author Topic: Lost Palaces and Monuments  (Read 9906 times)

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Lost Palaces and Monuments
« on: August 20, 2006, 10:35:01 AM »
I would like to compile a list of palaces and monuments lost during the nazi siege of the suburban palaces. I am primarily interested in structures that have not been rebuilt or restored such as the Chinese Theater at Tsarskoe Selo and the English Palace at Peterhof. I know much of this information is probably scattered on the message board, but I was hoping to create it's own topic area. Any pictures would be welcome.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: Lost Palaces and Monuments
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 02:23:10 PM »
This is not a palace, but I figured it is still appropriate for this thread. St Catherine's Cathedral in Tsarskoe Selo.

Built in 1835-1840 on Oranzhereinaya Street. It was demolished not by the Nazis but before WWII on Stalin's orders (in 1939). Has not been rebuilt.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 02:36:08 PM »
Thank you Helen for your post. I am interested in not only palaces, but anything of cultural significance that was lost. Thanks again for your contribution.

St. Catherine's Cathedral looks like it was a very beautiful church. What a shame it was destroyed.

Roy

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 02:42:11 PM »
You're welcome, Roy!

Here is another one. The imperial train station was built in 1912 in place of another pavilion from 1895 which burned down in 1912. I am not sure if it was destroyed during WWII or just naturally fell apart from many years of neglect, but this is another structure in Tsarskoe Selo that has not been restored and still stands in ruins.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 03:34:52 PM »
Here is one more interesting structure in TS.

On the corner of Moskovskaya and Leontevskaya Streets, just across the street from Gostiny Dvor, there used to stand a large  building - a famous Tsarskoe Selo bakery (the name escapes me unfortunately, but it was the family name of the owner).

People from St Petersburg used to come to Tsarskoe Selo on weekends to shop at Gostiny Dvor and always made sure to stop by this bakery to pick up their famous sweet buns and bread. The bakery had a couple of huge brick ovens where all the pastry and breads were baked, while the smell wafted all through the neigborhood.

According to the walking tour guide, the bakery building stood abandoned for some years after the revolution, but during WWII was hit by a German air missile and destroyed.

All that remains today are a few foundation blocks and some steps which used to lead up to one of the brick ovens. I couldn't find the original photo of this bakery, but maybe someone else can remember its name and locate an archive photo. I actually would really like to see it myself!

This is what it looks like today: 

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:00:04 AM »
In the Alexander Park there are the ruins of the Llama Pavilion, the Elephant House, the Arsenal, (the Farm and the Pensioners' Stables are occupied by the Agricultural Department of St Petersburg University), the Arsenal, the Chapelle, the White Tower (partially renovated) the Imperial Greenhouses, the Childrens' House, and, of course, the Alexander Palace itself.  In the Catherine Park - the Childrens' Farm, Adina's Cottage, Adina's shrine have completely disappeared and a number of pavilions are ruined although there is a programme to restore them.

Across from the Alexander Park is the Babalovsky Park.   The Babalovsky Palace and precincts are ruined.

Throughout Pushkin there are many lost mansions although photographs exist.

tsaria

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 08:46:06 AM »
In the Alexander Park there are the ruins of the Llama Pavilion.... the Arsenal .... the White Tower.... the Childrens' House...
Throughout Pushkin there are many lost mansions although photographs exist.

I have photos of some of these.

The Llama Pavilion:    The Arsenal:

The White Tower: The Children's House:

I'll see if I can find some archival photos of other structures around Pushkin, and post them later.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 05:15:51 PM »
Thank you for the additional posts and pics. Was Adina's cottage and shrine burned by the Nazis?

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 09:16:16 AM »
Here is a painting of St Catherine's Cathedral:

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »
View of Akademichesky Prospekt just after the German retreat in 1944 (the wall of Feodorvosky Gorodok is on the left):

You can see what this area looks like today in my video, which Bob will post soon, hopefully.