Author Topic: St. Petersburg imperial country residences news  (Read 358620 times)

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: St. Petersburg imperial country residences new
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2006, 01:43:04 PM »
Thanks a lot for telling us!

It's wonderful to see that restorations are still in progress, I just hope they will soon start the restoration of the arsenal wing. I suppose it should not be too expansive, those rooms were just stuccoed.

What do you think?

Thanks again

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2006, 10:18:37 PM »
[ch1057][ch1087][ch1072][ch1089][ch1080][ch1073][ch1086] [ch1042][ch1083][ch1072][ch1076][ch1080][ch1084][ch1080][ch1088]!
(Thank you Vladimir!)

I enjoyed browsing through the Gatchina website.

In several weeks I will able to see all this for myself.
 :D

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2006, 01:51:34 PM »
It's wonderful to see that restorations are still in progress, I just hope they will soon start the restoration of the arsenal wing. I suppose it should not be too expansive, those rooms were just stuccoed.
What do you think?

It`s very optimistic point of view. They haven`t got money. New rooms were open but decoration of the rooms wasn`t completed. The restorers didn`t paint the ceiling and wall panels of the Oval Boudoir, didn`t reproduce the wall fabrics (green silk) in the Tower Study. In the Dressing Room some wall panels haven`t got the stucco architectural details.
It`s also essential to recreate the ceramic stove that the Oval Boudoir had before the fire of 1944.
The work with the gilt wooden carvings wasn`t completed also (in the Crimson Room, the State Bedroom, the Tower Study).
However in this year the museum is going to open for public Alexander III`s Rooms in the Arsenal Wing (as exhibition rooms).

I forgot: small room between #3 and #4 (the Passage Room) was restored also.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Vladimir_V. »

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2006, 12:25:59 PM »
Tsarskoe Selo

New bell for the Feodorovsky Cathedral

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2006, 11:56:54 AM »
Gatchina

The Gatchina museum and the State Hermitage opened new exhibition “Knights of the Maltese Order” in the Priory Palace.
A short description see here: http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/04/2006/hm4_2_169.html
Of the Priory Palace in English: http://history.gatchina.ru/priorat/eindex.htm

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2006, 10:59:34 AM »

However in this year the museum is going to open for public Alexander III`s Rooms in the Arsenal Wing (as exhibition rooms).

I know all the restoration works will take not years but decades, anyway the last news are very interesting.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2006, 12:21:16 PM »
Please, will someone tell us more about the tunnel that goes from the Priory Palace to the Gatchina Palace?  Also about the other tunnels running underground all over the area?  

Thanks,
Arleen

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2006, 11:16:28 AM »
From   http://history.gatchina.ru/priorat/elegend.htm

The Priory has always been regarded as a place of secrets and mysteries. Various legends about it have appeared, one after another. One of the most striking of these concerns the existence of a secret underground passage, supposedly connecting the Priory palace with the Gatchina imperial palace. There existed a popular belief that Paul I ordered his chamber, in the first tier of the Guard Tower, to be connected with the chamber of the prior of the Maltese order in the Priory palace.

During the strengthening of the foundations the restorers did, indeed, come unexpectedly upon an underground passage. One of the bolder spirits among them went along it for about 100 metres, but to continue further without special equipment was too risky. At the start of the passage its ceiling was high enough for a man to stand upright, but became gradually lower. The passage was lined with stone. The exact purpose of this mysterious tunnel was not clear. In the opinion of the restorers the passage runs beneath several reservoirs and is a part of old Gatchina's underground lines

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2006, 12:03:41 PM »
I can add only that there is a tour to the underground tunnel (from the Gatchina Palace to the lake in the park). Interesting and cold even in the summer. I don`t know of ghosts, but there is loud echo!

Secret staircase (S) from the Pavel I`s rooms to the tunnel.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2006, 09:32:27 AM »
How wonderful Vladimir!  Thanks for the info.  Have you been down there?

What do you know about the rumour of Karinsky escaping thru a tunnel to a grotto when they were closing in on him?  

Arleen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Arleen_Ristau »

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2006, 12:41:05 PM »
How wonderful Vladimir!  Thanks for the info.  Have you been down there?
What do you know about the rumour of Karinsky escaping thru a tunnel to a grotto when they were closing in on him?  
Arleen

Tunnel is a part of the museum today.

As far as I know Kerensky used this tunnel.

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2006, 12:47:29 PM »
Tsarskoe Selo

Town newspaper published an interview with deputy director of Tsarskoe Selo museum V. Rozov.

From the article:

Journalist: - What new are you going to show your guests in this season?
V. Rozov: - We are going to open after restoration the Tower Ruins in the Catherine Park.
………..

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2006, 12:54:50 PM »
In the last part of the article the journalist asked of the gold for the front of the Catherine Palace.
V. Rozov: - We are going to start gilding in 2007 by sputtering deposition in vacuum (we will take away the carving, deposit a thin gold layer in the special vacuum chamber and then put it back). We have got gold (137 kg), but the cost of the work comes to $56 000 000  :o and we haven`t found money yet.

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2006, 01:12:23 PM »
Pavlovsk

In the North Wing of the Pavlovsk Palace, the museum has arranged new permanent exhibition entitled “Imperial Costumes. XVIII - beginning of XX centuries”. There are five Alexandra`s costumes.
In the last room I saw two pictures from the Alexander Palace:
Trifonov I. Portrait of Alexei. 1906. Oil on canvas. (from the Pallisander Room).
Sant J. Portrait of Alice of Hesse (Alexandra`s mother). 1878. Oil on canvas. (from the Mauve Room).

North Wing

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2006, 12:33:52 PM »
Oranienbaum

New temporary exhibition in the Menshikov Palace: "Here he built himself a small fortress..." (Marking the 250th Anniversary of the Founding of the Peterstadt Fortress).

The State Hermitage Museum has loaned exhibits to the show therefore we can find some information of the exhibition on the Hermitage website: http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/04/2006/hm4_2_174.html

The central hall of the Menshikov Palace in Oranienbaum.