Author Topic: Drawings of Olga and Tatiana N...post yours too!  (Read 5612 times)

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
Drawings of Olga and Tatiana N...post yours too!
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »
Here's a drawing I did of GDs Olga and Tatiana quite a while back, the big pair is my favorite...I think it was completed last year, it took a long time! Link:

http://soleit.deviantart.com/art/Olga-and-Tatiana-1906-139934371

I think Tatiana is expecially hard to draw, jus becuase of her interesting features.
Post your art! :)
There is a clock that never strikes...
There is a cathedral that goes down and a lake that goes up...
There is a little carriage abandoned in the copse...
There is a troupe of little actors in costume...
And when you are hungry or thirsty, there is someone who drives you away.

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
Re: Drawings of Olga and Tatiana N...post yours too!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 09:35:10 AM »
That's excellent work!

http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php?topic=9469.0

Here is the Romanov art thread.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 10:30:39 AM »
Sorry, but how do I move this topic?

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »
Only mods can do things like that. I don't think you need to. Just post your art on that thread and I'm sure a mod will lock it.  :)
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »
Thanks very much :)

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »
That's really good.  Very impressive!

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 03:51:15 PM »
Thank you!

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 01:16:23 AM »
Here's a drawing I did of GDs Olga and Tatiana quite a while back, the big pair is my favorite...I think it was completed last year, it took a long time! I think Tatiana is especially hard to draw, just because of her interesting features.
Impressive...you used a known photo as a starting point of course, but went beyond that and showed us more based on knowing what they looked like...really good!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 08:29:03 AM »
Here's a drawing I did of GDs Olga and Tatiana quite a while back, the big pair is my favorite...I think it was completed last year, it took a long time! I think Tatiana is especially hard to draw, just because of her interesting features.
Impressive...you used a known photo as a starting point of course, but went beyond that and showed us more based on knowing what they looked like...really good!

Yes, I always use photos because I find it really hard to draw without a reference...I'm so glad you like it, thank you :)

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 10:14:50 AM »
Yes, I always use photos because I find it really hard to draw without a reference...
oh me too! ...I said " of course " because it's the way to go, to get a start...not because it makes it easier! lol!  Getting a decent likeness is part battle, luck , prayer...with talent in there too! lol! I'm doing a painting of the big pair in thier nurses uniforms. It's a powerful experience to bring them into being again, even if it's just on canvas with paint. I find I can paint for about 90 minutes before I have to stop, due to emotional exhaustion. And it's often startling to have them regard you as you work!  Once the likeness found in the in the reference photo is established, ( and that is no easy task at all, Lord knows) one can then flesh out the image a bit based on knowing thier faces...and there by you create something new. Art is alchemy...even for those who do it. While one is working, there a moment when what you are after is  not there and then in the next moment  it is there. But just how it got there is ever a mystery to me.

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 12:44:08 PM »
Yes, I always use photos because I find it really hard to draw without a reference...
oh me too! ...I said " of course " because it's the way to go, to get a start...not because it makes it easier! lol!  Getting a decent likeness is part battle, luck , prayer...with talent in there too! lol! I'm doing a painting of the big pair in thier nurses uniforms. It's a powerful experience to bring them into being again, even if it's just on canvas with paint. I find I can paint for about 90 minutes before I have to stop, due to emotional exhaustion. And it's often startling to have them regard you as you work!  Once the likeness found in the in the reference photo is established, ( and that is no easy task at all, Lord knows) one can then flesh out the image a bit based on knowing thier faces...and there by you create something new. Art is alchemy...even for those who do it. While one is working, there a moment when what you are after is  not there and then in the next moment  it is there. But just how it got there is ever a mystery to me.
I know, it's so cool! Sometimes when I color photos I get this weird feeling like I'm bringing them back to life with each layer of pencil. It certainly is an emotional experience as well as an artistic one.
Your painting sounds so awesome, be sure to show us! Is it a really big one or a small canvas?
I know just what you mean. I find that the things I draw that I have a special attatchment to, like OTMA, always seem to turn out the best.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 01:51:49 PM »
author=abbigail link=topic=14411.msg415343#msg415343 date=1262371448]
Your painting sounds so awesome, be sure to show us! Is it a really big one or a small canvas?
It's just over 3 feet by 2 feet ! Which is big for me..and I discovered something: bigger is somehow easier...and way more fun!
I know just what you mean. I find that the things I draw that I have a special attachment to, like OTMA, always seem to turn out the best.
Indeed. When there is an attachment, one has a drive, a need, to do it...it's the jet fuel for the whole endeavor. But also I get almost "messages" about which picture to do. I look and look and  when I feel a "go ahead" about a photo, then I know that's the one to do. I find if I go with that "flow," the picture turns out well. 

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 08:20:23 PM »
author=abbigail link=topic=14411.msg415343#msg415343 date=1262371448]
It's just over 3 feet by 2 feet ! Which is big for me..and I discovered something: bigger is somehow easier...and way more fun!
I know just what you mean. I find that the things I draw that I have a special attachment to, like OTMA, always seem to turn out the best.
Indeed. When there is an attachment, one has a drive, a need, to do it...it's the jet fuel for the whole endeavor. But also I get almost "messages" about which picture to do. I look and look and  when I feel a "go ahead" about a photo, then I know that's the one to do. I find if I go with that "flow," the picture turns out well. 
Drawing really big is so hard...I find it easier to draw/paint small because everything doesn't have to be so precise, it's easier to mess up and not have it very visible, lol...
I know what you mean...if the photo I'm considering doesn't feel right, I don't do it, or if I do it never turns out very well.
Unfortunately a lot of the photos I'd like to draw are low-quality, too bright, too dark, etc so it's too difficult.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »
Drawing really big is so hard...I find it easier to draw/paint small because everything doesn't have to be so precise, it's easier to mess up and not have it very visible, lol...
lol! I'm finding it the other way. If it's bigger, I have room to get things right ...to each ther own! 
I know what you mean...if the photo I'm considering doesn't feel right, I don't do it, or if I do it never turns out very well.
Exactly
Unfortunately a lot of the photos I'd like to draw are low-quality, too bright, too dark, etc so it's too difficult.
That's when you have to have a number of other photos to help you out with the one you want to do and use them like maps.... because even  if the photos are 2-D and the art will be 2-D, you treat the face/ body  as if its in 3-D and things start to make sense and one can then make an educated guess  about  the part that is  missing in the photo you want to do. (One's knows very quickly if they guessed right or wrong! lol! ) Also I'm finding right now  painting is easier than drawing...a drawing has to be right from the get go....no place to figure stuff out...only starting again. A painting can be worked on, changed  and worked on again....and if you got part of it right, you keep that and tackle the other parts . A likeness is often crawled towards, but eventually  achieved.  At least this has been my experience. I will certainly post the finished painting...but it will take awhile!.... it already has! lol!   

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 08:35:47 AM »
lol! I'm finding it the other way. If it's bigger, I have room to get things right ...to each ther own! 
Exactly
That's when you have to have a number of other photos to help you out with the one you want to do and use them like maps.... because even  if the photos are 2-D and the art will be 2-D, you treat the face/ body  as if its in 3-D and things start to make sense and one can then make an educated guess  about  the part that is  missing in the photo you want to do. (One's knows very quickly if they guessed right or wrong! lol! ) Also I'm finding right now  painting is easier than drawing...a drawing has to be right from the get go....no place to figure stuff out...only starting again. A painting can be worked on, changed  and worked on again....and if you got part of it right, you keep that and tackle the other parts . A likeness is often crawled towards, but eventually  achieved.  At least this has been my experience. I will certainly post the finished painting...but it will take awhile!.... it already has! lol!   
Yes, that is one thing that makes painting easier; paint can be layered and the image altered more easily than in a drawing.
Do you do photoshop on photos, coloring them?