Author Topic: Balloon incident?  (Read 1732 times)

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
Balloon incident?
« on: December 31, 2009, 08:10:29 AM »
I read somewhere that one of the Grand Duchesses (meaning OTMA) was out walking with her nurse and demanded that the nurse take a balloon from a child on the street and bring it back for the GD in question...is this true? If so, who was it and when did this take place?
Kind of funny story :)
There is a clock that never strikes...
There is a cathedral that goes down and a lake that goes up...
There is a little carriage abandoned in the copse...
There is a troupe of little actors in costume...
And when you are hungry or thirsty, there is someone who drives you away.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
Re: Balloon incident?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
It was Anastasia. YOu can read the whole anecdote on APTM main site in Six years at the Russian court by Margaret Eagar.

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »
Thank you! :) That question was bothering me
There is a clock that never strikes...
There is a cathedral that goes down and a lake that goes up...
There is a little carriage abandoned in the copse...
There is a troupe of little actors in costume...
And when you are hungry or thirsty, there is someone who drives you away.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 02:48:18 AM »
Here in the anecdote:

In the nurseries we had a few children's parties, but nothing very much. Little Anastasie was delighted with the stir and bustle of city life and deeply interested in all she saw. The children developed a love for those little toy balloons which are sold in the streets. When they were very good I used to send out and get them one each. But Anastasie used sometimes to want me to stop the carriage and buy them from the men, and this, of course, could not be allowed. So I always said simply that I could not, without advancing any reason. She evidently thought force would have to be used to induce him to part with them, for one day she saw some little children walking on the Palace Quay, each one with a balloon. She drew my attention to them. "Look, look!" cried she; "little children with balloons; get out, take them from them and give them to me." I explained why that would not do, so she said, "Well, get out, and ask them nicely and politely, and perhaps they will give them to me."

It happened in St. Petersburg.