Author Topic: Drenteln Alexandr Alexandrovich  (Read 7072 times)

Offline Nicolá De Valerón

• Graf
  • Soul to God, Loyality to Crown, Honor to nobody
    • View Profile
Drenteln Alexandr Alexandrovich
« on: January 06, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »
Von Drenteln Alexandr Alexandrovich.
19.01.1868. - 14.05.1925.

Baltic German. Roots from an ancient Noble russified family with the Great history starting from the 16th century (today this family doesn't exist). Noble family has an Estonian-German origin. Brave Officer. Educated and handsome man. Major General of His Majesty's suite. One of the closest to Nicholas II. Opponent to Rasputin (for what he later suffered and finally was dismissed). Stayed in the USSR. Died from the severe illness in one of the Vologda Monastery hospitals. (By another version, died in Odessa.)

Some biographical notes about this man and in addition little
excerpts from the memoirs of a close to Imperial family people:

Father - notable Russian General Adjutant and General of Cavalry, fought in the Crimean War, Von Drenteln Alexandr Romanovich. (1820-1888)
Mother - Maria Vjatkini. (Estonian noblewoman?)

Born on the 19th of January, 1868. Graduated from the St. Petersburg University (1890) and entered into the service. Passed the officer's exam at the Constantine Military School (1901), and became an officer. Enrolled as an officer in the prestigious Preobrazhensky Lifeguard regiment. Received the rank of a Guard's Captain (1903). Then was appointed as a staff officer for orders at the Imperial headquarters (1906 (9) -1915), also received the position of a Fligel Adjutant (1909) and Colonel rank (1910). Served as a chief of the military camp office of His Majesty (08.1915-11.1915). Commander of the Preobrazhensky Lifeguard regiment (28.11.1915-27.04.1917). Soon received the rank of Major General of His Majesty's suite (06.12.1916). After the February Revolution was dismissed by the Provisional Government. At the end of the Civil War (1917-1922) stayed in the USSR and died there (14/05/1925) in the Vologda province from a serious disease, which he received during the war.

Wife - Drenteln Anna Alexandrovna. (nee Popova) (1868-?)
Daughter - Anna.

Excerpts from the memoirs of Tatiana Botkin (1921):
"....from all adjutants - Alexandr Alexandrovich Drenteln, former Preobrazhensky officer, was tall, with a large bald patch and handsome features, a very educated and well read, a great lover of music and was able to make any positive impression on anyone...."
"....Whoever at least once seen Drenteln firmly remembered in his appearance that he was a typical Russian, but had the misfortune to have a foreign name, because one of his ancestors hundreds of years ago settled in Russia.... "

Excerpt from the memoirs of Sergei Witte:
"....The most noble, truthful and positive or simply the best of all intelligent and educated men who been surrounded the Emperor. And one of the closest to him...."

Excerpt from the memories of one of the officers, who served with Drenteln (1920):
"....Bolsheviks arrested Alexandr Alexandrovich, tormented him and sent him while being terminally ill in the Vologda province, to the not yet destroyed and not yet disbanded monastery. My parents visited him three times. They were always been accompanied with his friend, Dr Sergei Romanovich Mirotvortsev - in former times the consultant surgeon of the North-Western Front of First World War. He was a good surgeon who was supposed to alleviate the suffering of Alexandr Alexandrovich. But the disease was gone too far. And he quietly died in 1925. Died by himself, thank God in his own bed...."

Here are some of his photos. I do not write a description on every photo, because it's easily to identify Drenteln by his bald head and memorable features. You can also find a plenty of his photos in an endless photo albums dedicated to the Romanovs. I just post here some of them. All photos are slightly modified and taken from the Presidential Library, pushkin-history.ru/Vyrubova albums. And all of them are property of their respective owners. All the information are from open sources.

P.S.
If someone have something to add on this thread, you are always welcome.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:02:33 PM by Nicolá De Valerón »
"I think that if Shakespeare lived in our times he would not be able to write. Many of his works are not welcome on stage nowadays: The Merchant of Venice – anti-Semitism, Othello – racism, The Taming of the Shrew – sexism, Romeo and Juliet - hideous heterosexual show..." - Vladimir Bukovsky.

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Drenteln Alexandr Alexandrovich
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »
Some information about the Drenteln family. (This noble family does not exist today.)

Family had a big History starting from the 16th century. Family was founded by the Baltic German big merchant Christian Drenteln in 1551 and had a lot of big and important men (governors of the Tallinn city, military men and officials) in its history. Later, the family was russified and already in Russia Drenteln family ceased to exist.

Here are some family members and coat of arms of the Drentelns:

- Carsten Drenteln, governor of the Tallinn city since 1592 to 1601.
- Thomas von Drenteln, governor of the Tallinn city since 1647 to 1657.
- Drenteln Johann Reinhold (1773-1836), landlord of wire frame in Kanepi Parish, Livonia.
- Von Drenteln Alexander (1820-1888), Russian Governor General, General Adjutant and General of Cavalry. Since 1878 - in His Imperial Majesty's Own Chancellery.
- Von Drenteln Alexander Alexandrovich (1868-1925), Russian Major General, One of the closest to Nicholas II, Commander of the Preobrazhensky Lifeguard Regiment.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:51:41 AM by Svetabel »
"I think that if Shakespeare lived in our times he would not be able to write. Many of his works are not welcome on stage nowadays: The Merchant of Venice – anti-Semitism, Othello – racism, The Taming of the Shrew – sexism, Romeo and Juliet - hideous heterosexual show..." - Vladimir Bukovsky.

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:25:58 PM »
Some interesting photos of Drenteln Alexander Alexandrovich with the members of Imperial family during their visit to Germany in 1910, also in Sevastopol and Yalta (Livadia) the same year.

With Olga.

With Nicholas II and Dr. Botkin.

With German/Russian nobility and royalty.

In Sevastopol

With at that time Stabsrittmeister (Lieutenant-Captain) of HM Hussars Vorontsov-Dashkov.

With Vorontsov-Dashkov, Vyrubova and Imperial family

No comments;).

*Photos are slightly modified and taken from the Beinecke albums.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:35:01 PM by Nicolá De Valerón »

Offline Student of History

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:36:08 AM »
Hi Nicola,
Thank you for your post.  I was wondering if you knew who the child sitting on the steps next to Drnteln with the imperial children was by any chance?
SOH

Some interesting photos of Drenteln Alexander Alexandrovich with the members of Imperial family during their visit to Germany in 1910, also in Sevastopol and Yalta (Livadia) the same year.

With Olga.

With Nicholas II and Dr. Botkin.

With German/Russian nobility and royalty.

In Sevastopol

With at that time Stabsrittmeister (Lieutenant-Captain) of HM Hussars Vorontsov-Dashkov.

With Vorontsov-Dashkov, Vyrubova and Imperial family

No comments;).

*Photos are slightly modified and taken from the Beinecke albums.

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:32:36 AM »
Hi Nicola,
Thank you for your post.  I was wondering if you knew who the child sitting on the steps next to Drnteln with the imperial children was by any chance?
SOH

You are welcome!

To be honest with you I don't know exactly, but this boy is surprisingly looks like Drenteln;). I'm aware of both Drenteln and Vorontsov-Dashkov private lifes (marriages, children and so on) but I don't have a right to post here any speculations. I don't know exactly who is this boy. Maybe he is just the son to one of the Court's man who accompanied Vyrubova in Crimea.

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 06:00:50 PM »
Interesting excerpt about Drenteln from rare memoirs of Sergei Nickolaevich Timirev, famous Russian Naval Officer, Rear Admiral (1917), Standart Officer from 1907 to 1910 and close friend to Admiral Kolchak. This excerpt could help those who interested in Drenteln and want to understand him as a person more clearly:

"...Alexander Alexandrovich Drenteln was the man of another type. I must say, that the court service in general always depersonalize people, forcing them always to wear a mask of cold haughtiness with the strangers and hide their true feelings. Drenteln in this case was a good exception from that rule, having a lively temperament, always easy to communicate, cheerful and witty - to the same wonderful storyteller and musician - he was on the yacht (*Standart) like a truly "vitalizing element". It seems to me, that he was one from the whole Svita (*Suite) who had an opportunity to talk about the different themes of wide public interest, which generally were considered unpleasant to talk. He was a man of positive mind and more seriously educated, unlike other members of the Court (he graduated from the University). Drenteln with no doubt was fully aware of the responsibility, which closeness to Tsar imposed upon him; moreover, his secretarial duties and especially selection of newspaper articles for the Emperor - gave him an ample opportunity to influence the direction of Tsar thoughts. However it's difficult to say how serious was this influence, since the Emperor didn't like to let someone in it's own world; but its share of good Drenteln undoubtedly introduced, describing events from the perspective of moderate common sense..."

*Taken from the Timirev memoirs, which were published in magazine"Voennaja Byl", № 62.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:08:20 PM by Nicolá De Valerón »