Author Topic: The Kremlin - general information  (Read 164381 times)

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: The Kremlin - general information
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 08:44:33 PM »
I remember my guide saying a number of buildings, including cathedrals were demolished on the order of Stalin. I guess that is not surprising. Thankfully the vast majority survived. Some pre-Soviet buildings in Moscow has actually been rebuilt.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 08:54:32 PM »
What is very interesting is if you go to Moscow it becomes quickly apparent how small Moscow was before the revolution. Compared to St. Petersburg it was more like a country town. Driving in from the Moscow Airport into the centre of Moscow you can see decade by decade the expansion of the city. When you reach where the Soviet architecture began you realise how very small Moscow was. 

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 03:19:35 PM »
I have decided to create a last "new" chapter for the 1912 Great Kremlin Palace Visitor's Guide, which will show what the sections of the Palace look like today, when they have been changed or destroyed since the Revolution, so that people can make the comparisons as to what has been lost.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 04:31:40 PM »
That is a marvellous addition!

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 04:33:10 PM »
Meant to say I have a fabulous colour hardback book with matching slipcase that came out during the Soviet era entitled Great Palace of the Moscow Kremlin. It is in English and full of incredible colour photos and text. Have you seen it?

Offline NAAOTMA

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »
I have the Architectural Digest that features the Kremlin apartments. I kept it all these years. The photos and text are interesting, and at the time it was a peek behind a curtain of mystery. One thing I do remember is that the Tsar and Tsarina's apartments were very long and narrow almost like railway cars due to the piers that held that part of the building up. Not a place one would want to spend a great deal of time.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 06:56:34 AM »
Well the palace was rarely used by the imperial family after Peter the Great moved the capital from Moscow to St.Petersburg. Unlike the palaces at Tsarskoe Selo, the Kremlin itself is far more easy to defend. Its insides can be totally sealed off from the rest of the city. Its walls are very thick. You would be surprised how thick if you saw them.

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »
When / how often did they Imperial Family stay at the Grand Kremlin Palace?  Probably during celebrations associated with coronations, but was there a regular schedule for the IF to be in Moscow each year - like the British Queen spends Easter at Windsor, July/Aug at Balmoral, December/ early Feb. at Sandringham?  Did any one Tsar spent more time at this palace than others?

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 09:26:01 PM »
Further to Dmitri's post on the book "The Great Palace of the Moscow Kremlin", Aurora Art Publishers, Leningrad 1981, the color photographs of the private apartments of Nicholas II and Alexandra are similar in composition to the c1896 views on the photoarchive site, for example:
Emperor's Study:
http://photoarchive.spb.ru:9090/www/showChildObjects.do?object=2500387772
Empress' Study:
http://photoarchive.spb.ru:9090/www/showChildObjects.do?object=2500387710

Notice the placement of the bed in what looks like an alcove:
http://photoarchive.spb.ru:9090/www/showChildObjects.do?object=2500387647

Joanna

Offline Rostov

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 11:29:19 AM »
In Greg King's book The Court of the Last Tsar, I saw photographs of the Grand Kremlin Palace.  Does it have another name? I didn't find any threads on it here.  Does anyone have photographs of it  that they will share?  What is the palace used for now?  Pax, Nadezhda

I have a guide book to the Grand Kremlin Palace. It is five years old. I could try scanning the pictures and sharing them with you if you like. The interiors are stunning. I also have guide books to the Catherine palace, Winter Palace, Pavlovsk and Peterhof all recent ones.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 07:07:05 PM »
The photos in the Aurora Art Publishers book are fantastic. If you can pick up a copy you will be enthralled.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 07:59:46 PM »
Nicholas I  had the palace rebuilt in 1857 to replace a dilapidated structure. He seems to be the only Emperor to take a real interest in the Kremlin palaces.  It is not open to the public on a regular schedule,  I was last informed only once a month. It is the official State  function rooms, where the Russian Presidents recieves State quests and delegations. Very imposing, but not all that ancient after all.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 05:30:40 AM »
What you say is quite true Robert. The Russian President uses this space for his receptions. What is interesting though is the fact that unlike the Palaces at Tsarskoe Selo, Peterhof, Pavlovsk and Gatchina, the Kremlin Palace was not looted, bombed and burnt during the barbarian Nazi German invasion. What you see today of the Palaces around the outskirts of St. Petersburg are post world war two recreations. Therefore the Kremlin Palaces are actually more authentic from the time of the Tsars. The Terem Palace actually dates back much earlier than Nicholas I. It is quite fascinating. A visit to the Kremlin alone to see the Armoury and State Diamond Fund, the surviving cathedrals and the sheer bulk of the walls plus the the huge Tsar Cannon and Bell is quite extraordinary. The Cathedrals are magnificent and very Russian indeed. St. Petersburg is quite western even with its Russian influence whereas Moscow is pure Russian. It would be a shame to visit Russia and only see St.Petersburg and not Moscow. Moscow really was extremely small and provincial while St.Petersburg was the imperial capital. It is very interesting to see how vast Moscow has grown since the capital shifted back there. The Soviets were very clever building a fake Kremlin made of wood and disguising the real Kremlin during world war two. The fake Kremlin was bombed many times, the real Kremlin left largely untouched. 

Offline Pippilin

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 04:53:05 PM »
I was given an almost perfect hardcover edition of the huge, 355-page "The Kremlin and its Treasures" (Library of Congress #   ISBN 0-8478-0856-4), author Irina Rodimzeva, first published in U.S.A. by Rizzoli Internation Publications, 1987.
The photographs are super.  I think that my daughter lucked out and was able to buy it at Amazon for about $40.00!

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 05:09:54 PM »
Congratulations! Those Rizzoli publications are usually top-quality. Photographs are beautiful.   Enjoy!
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.