The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
August 22, 2014, 12:38:45 PM
461434 Posts in 8943 Topics by 14515 Members
Latest Member: Kelpie
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about Russian History
| |-+  Russian Imperial Medals, Orders, Uniforms & Militaria (Moderator: Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Reproduction Uniforms.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Reproduction Uniforms.  (Read 8723 times)
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:34:46 PM »
IainM Offline

View Profile

Hi,

During the past few months I have been working on putting together a Dragoons dress uniform. Have now got it almost complete but am waiting for the dress epaulettes to be finished. I thought I would share with you the project so far. The Litzen on the collar is not 100% correct but is fairly close. I have found a fantastic man who has just sent me a complete set of collar and cuff embroidery for the Semenovski Guards Regiment, which is the next one I am going to recreate. If any one is interested I am more than willing to share information with you. Please see my previous post about the Generals uniform as I would love to do that one as well.

Regards.

IainM

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:39:11 PM by IainM » Logged
Reply #1
« on: January 24, 2010, 04:46:17 PM »
Nicolá De Valerón Offline
Graf
Soul to God, Loyality to Crown, Honor to nobody Posts: 350

View Profile

IainM, excellent done!

I love especially the sign of Nicholas Cavalry School (as I can see clearly) and impossibly rare for the non-Guards Lieutenant General the 2nd degree (2nd degree was very rare and only a dozen of military commanders were awarded, in the WW1 only four men) of an Order of St. George. Of course you made a big mix of all Dragoons of the Russian Empire, but anyway, very beautiful! Just like real.

"I think that if Shakespeare lived in our times he would not be able to write. Many of his works are not welcome on stage nowadays: The Merchant of Venice – anti-Semitism, Othello – racism, The Taming of the Shrew – sexism, Romeo and Juliet - hideous heterosexual show..." - Vladimir Bukovsky.
Reply #2
« on: January 24, 2010, 11:37:14 PM »
Mike Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Great reproduction, but where're your spurs?!
Reply #3
« on: January 25, 2010, 12:40:37 AM »
IainM Offline

View Profile

Hello Nicolá and Mike

Thank you for your encouragement.

Nicolá,
 I bow to your knowledge, unfortunately I do not read Russian and most of my  books are in that language. It is interesting to hear how there were restrictions on the routes that men could take in their careers. I have to say for me it has been the challenge of getting the uniforms together that has been the most fun. I welcome any corrections or information you feel you can offer.

Mike,
 my wife humours my interests but I think will draw the line at spurs in the house Grin. Besides I am an awful rider at the best of times, my middle son however has taken up Polo at university, so there is hope for the family honour yet.

Kind regards.

IainM
Reply #4
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:07:56 AM »
Mike Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

No relation to actual riding, spurs were just an indispensable part of every non-naval officer's uniform, like a sword. Everybody wore them: cavalry, infantry, artillery, engineers, surgeons, etc. But swords weren't usually worn indoors, especially at private homes, while spurs were always attached to one's boots. Without them your uniform wouldn't look complete.
Reply #5
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:31:11 AM »
IainM Offline

View Profile

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the information, must have played havoc with the furniture Smiley Can you by any chance help me with the Generals embroidery?

Regards.

IainM
Reply #6
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:41:45 AM »
Mike Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

I've posted a question on a Russian militaria forum, probably they'll point at some reliable source.
Reply #7
« on: January 25, 2010, 06:04:27 AM »
IainM Offline

View Profile

Hi Mike,

Much appreciated.

Regards.

IainM
Reply #8
« on: January 25, 2010, 06:05:18 AM »
Kalafrana Online
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

In the British Army mess kit and dress uniform still includes spurs for Majors and above in any regiment (and they should clink).

Ann
Reply #9
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »
IainM Offline

View Profile

Hi Ann,

Now that you mention it I remember my Father wearing spurs with his Dress uniform when I was a child, he was a Brigadier.

Regards.

IainM 
Reply #10
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »
Kalafrana Online
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

As a Brigadier he definitely would wear spurs, although a friend who is a Major says he has never dared wear them, much as he enjoys dressing up, as he has never been on a horse in his life!

Ann
Reply #11
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:35:28 AM »
Mike Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

While browsing through my archive, I've just stumbled upon the War Ministry's circular letter of 1904 concerning the wearing of spurs. As almost everything in Russia past and present, the matter turns out to be complicated and sometimes elusive.

For instance, of all Cossack formations only the officers of two Guards Cossack regiments and the Tsar's Cossack Convoy were allowed and obliged to wear spurs. However, when other Cossack officers were dispatched to St.Petersburg, Moscow or Warsaw, they also could wear spurs "so as not to feel inferior compared to their Guards comrades". But then they had to return to their units and therefore to be stripped of their spurs! The humane War Ministry, in appreciation of poor guys' apparent distress, kindly granted them a grace period - the length of which was left to consideration of their regimental commanders. Now, other officers of the same regiment could feel humiliated by not wearing spurs on par with their happier colleagues, so for the length of the above period - which in theory and in practice could be infinite - all officers could wear spurs if they wished so. However,... and so on and so forth.

But all this sophistication doesn't apply to you Iain. You're a general ain't you? All generals without exception had to wear spurs at all times, no matter what their wives thought of their furniture's fate. The good news is that the spurs' exact fashion wasn't prescribed, so it's up to your free choice.
Reply #12
« on: January 25, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »
IainM Offline

View Profile

That's a relief, to me, my wife and the furniture  Grin
Reply #13
« on: January 25, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
IainM Offline

View Profile

I must ask my brother who is a Lieutenant Colonel, if he wears spurs at all. You sound as if you have an extensive archive Mike. My family seen service in both the Army and the Royal Navy fairly consistently for the last 150 years. There are letters and journals going back years, there are some amazing accounts of the first Afghan war, which in the current climate make fascinating reading. There is also quite a collection of Army Gazette magazines with incredible picture from the Victorian period through to the Great war. I think it was these that have given me an interest in military history. The fascination with the Imperial Russian Army is just the latest development. How did your interest begin, if you do not mind me asking?

Regards.

IainM   
Reply #14
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »
IainM Offline

View Profile

As for the rank Mike, the uniforms have a certain style and you must admit that the Generals uniforms are very debonair.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: