Author Topic: Why doesn't communism work?  (Read 132254 times)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
Re: Why doesn't communism work?
« Reply #465 on: October 16, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »
The name Romanov is very common in Manhattan as well.  When one used to be able to pick up a phone book and look, the listings were endless

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  I should have said mentioining the Imperial Family was a no-no under Stalin.

The name Romanov is very common in Manhattan as well.  When one used to be able to pick up a phone book and look, the listings were endless

I wonder if some of them are related to NAOTMAA.  It's possible, I suppose.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 26, 2011, 01:05:28 AM »
Since this thread also mentions the flaw of capitalism, I thought I'd put this here.  Apparently, some are calling for the European Union to be dismantled due to the current crisis (Britain recently had a referendum is to whether they should withdraw, but those that wanted to pull out lost).  They are saying that the EU, like Communism, is a failure and should be scrapped. 

Would the countries be better off alone, where problems in one doesn't drag down the rest?  Or should the EU remain?  Of course, dismantling it is probably easier said than done.

Offline Carisbrooke

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 26, 2011, 04:23:34 AM »
   No referendum yet Tim, the politicians will not let us have one. The EU bandwagon rolls on bringing about yet more waste, more stupid EU laws & more levels of government, which coincidentally means more jobs for the boys. The vote in the houses of parliament the other day is a prime example that turkeys do not indeed  vote for christmas.  :)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 26, 2011, 11:10:07 AM »
So I'm guessing you would like to see the EU dismantled and join Communism on history's scrap heap of failed ideas.

Alixz

« Reply #469 on: October 26, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »
It certainly is, as you put it, a drag on its members.

They now know how the states that make up the US feel as each puts a drag on the Federal Government and because of that they drag on each other.

Offline Carisbrooke

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 27, 2011, 07:08:41 AM »
   I feel the initial cry of the EU "a free common market" just like communisms "peace bread & land" is based on a lie. The politicians have gone beyond the original mandate, giving most of us monetary union, political union & EU law. Current estimates show that during our 32 year membership the UK has spent over 85 billion pounds on this monster. So hopefully with a bit of luck the EU will slowly fragment & die like the Soviet Union before it. In todays paper there is a quote by Angela Merkel concerning the much troubled euro currency, ........it states

No one should think a further half century of peace and prosperity is assured. If the euro fails, Europe will fail.

Everyone read into that what you will, but to me it sounds like a threat. By the way no prizes for guessing which way I would vote in a referendum.

A common market YES No problem.

A United States of Europe & all its trappings NO   

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 27, 2011, 10:55:17 AM »
Sounds like scare tactics to me. Europe survived Napoleon and two World Wars, the collapse of the EU will not destroy it.

The EU might have been a good idea on paper (like Communism was), but it clearly doesn't work.  Time to scrap it and move on.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 10, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »
Me, almost two years ago...

Some say that this is the beginning of the end of the United States, that, like the Soviet Union, 20 years ago, it will soon collapse and dissolve, with the larger States (Alaska, Texas, California, New York) becoming independent countries, and the smaller ones merging to form new countries.

I wonder if that will happen.

A new TV show premiered last fall that outlined this scenario.  It's called Revolution, and it airs Monday nights at 10:00 PM on NBC.  It has been renewed for a second season.

Revolution takes place in a post-apocalyptic dystopian future. Fifteen years earlier, a new technology had been developed by the U.S. Department of Defense to disarm opponents in the battlefield. The technology was based around inert air-populated nano-machines which are capable of nullifying electricity and self-multiplying. The technology was pursued by the Department of Defense and weaponized, but after deployment, the nano-machines spread quickly out of control worldwide and effectively disabled all electricity on Earth within a single night, ranging from computers and electronics to car and jet engines. Trains and cars stopped where they were, ships went dead in the water and fly-by-wire aircraft fell from the sky and crashed. Since the nano-machines remain active, power cannot be restored.

People were forced to adapt to a world without electricity over the next fifteen years. Due to the collapse of government and public order, many areas are now ruled by warlords and militias. Civilization has regressed to the era of feudalism.   The U.S. Government was one such government that collapsed and the country fractured into various new states such as the Monroe Republic, the Georgia Confederation, the California Commonwealth, and Texas.

The series starts with the surviving family: Ben, Charlie, and Danny, now living near what used to be Chicago, who possessed a pendant-shaped device (a USB flash drive contained in a pendant) that is the key to not only finding out what happened fifteen years ago, but also a possible way to reverse its effects. However, Sebastian Monroe, the General of the Monroe Militia and self-appointed President of the Monroe Republic, an area of the former United States east of the Mississippi River northward of Kentucky and the Carolinas, now possesses that power for himself seeking conquest of the entire former United States of America. The remaining Matheson family, joined initially by Miles Matheson, Aaron Pittman, and Nora Clayton now strive to counter the Monroe Militia. Monroe's new benefactor, Randall Flynn, a former U.S. Assistant Secretary of Defense who 15 years earlier ordered the deployment of the weaponized technology that caused the blackout, now seeks to fortify Monroe in his efforts after Rachel Matheson (Charlie and Danny's mother, who helped created the nano-machines, before they were corrupted by Flynn and the DoD) escaped from his custody.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 31, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
I haven't been able to read any of these books but they look interesting and are on this subject:

The Black Book of Communism

Humberto Fontova has written a number of books on Castro, Che, Cuba Communsim. Note he doesn't have anything good to say about them.

Mao's Great Famine and the Trage3dy of Liberation by Frank Dikitter

Offline Petr

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 04, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »
Tim--Things have moved on. Rachel managed to get the elictricity restarted for a few moments at the "Tower" in time to let Randell launch nuclear missles which wiped out Atlanta and Philadelphia. It appears he was working on the sly for the "Patriots" a shadowy group originating in Cuba claiming to be the re-incarnation of the United States. The Monroe Republic is no more and Monroe is on the run. Aaron seems to have some ability to control the nano particles. Myles, Charlie and Rachel are hunkered down in Willoughby which is now under the control of the Patriots. Tom has decided to infiltrate the Patriots to destroy them from the inside in revenge for the killing of his wife (who was in Atlanta) but Tom's son has been sent to a special camp and brainwashed by the Patriots. Tom has managed to find him and is trying to re-program him.  So begins the second season.       
Rumpo non plecto

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 05, 2013, 11:30:14 AM »
I know, so are I'm enjoying the second season.