Author Topic: russia and its monarchy  (Read 5200 times)

jake

russia and its monarchy
« on: April 14, 2004, 12:23:01 PM »
I do not beleive that Russia will ever have a monarchy again. The time of royal families in every country has passed. Even though in some countries there still is a system of monarchy such as the uk, the majority of people no longer feel warmth or patriotism for them.

I think it is a shame that the glittering era of royalty is over. It is most likely that people wouls rather have a president than a royal family.
And even though countries such as Spain have recently had their monarchyreinstalled, that was only because Franco left it in his will when he died.

You just have to admit that the time for monarchis have gone, what is the point of a monarchy who have little power and who the general population has no feelingh for?

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: russia and its monarchy
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 06:58:47 PM »
Yes, the monarchy era you were referring to has disappeared, but the times change, and the monarchies changed with it, maybe to prevent upheaval like what happened in Russia. I don't think Russia will ever have a monarchy again, only because I feel if they change the type of government they have, it would go back to Communism. That's assuming this change happens within 20 years or so... after that, it's anyone's guess. But I'd like to give an example of something new happening in Eastern Europe and I think it's interesting and something to ponder. In Bulgaria, its exiled king returned in the mid 1990's from Spain with his family, to much cheering. King Simeon II was ousted in 1947 at the age of 9 when Bulgaria went the Communist route. He isn't referred to as "King", and only recently has he regained a portion of his property (though it's currently in dispute). But what he did was endear himself to the Bulgarian people. Then he ran for the office of Prime Minister. He won and that's what he's doing now. He introduced an 800-day plan, and has made it so that Bulgaria will join the United Nations (next year, I think). Though the 800-day plan has generally failed and there are worries about Simeon losing his position, it just shows that ex-monarchists can make a difference and gain popularity while being in the public eye.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 07:46:43 PM »
Nerdycool, thank you for mentioning  Bulgaria. It is my  "Little country" I love the people and their efforts.
However, It has always been a member of the United Nations, they were just  brought into NATO.
Simeon is not doing too well, health wise as well as politically.  I wish him the best in any case. [he is a Coburg]
None of his children currently live in Bulgaria. [Latest I was told], they live in various places in Europe & the U.S.
The country's next hope is to be part of EURO, however their economy is still pretty sad. They are on the next list, however.
The ties to Russia go back to Alex Battenberg, which was not a happy memory for most Bulgarians. As Alex III had him deposed. Interestingly, he remained a "hero Liberator" during the Soviet era. & his tomb was restored-I think. Well, I saw it, reckoned it was.
There is a whole volume in the current history of Bulgaria, as it is being re-written as we speak.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 09:02:14 PM »
You're right Robert, it is NATO. I guess little slips like that happen when one's in a rush.... :)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 09:24:59 PM »
No problem,  nerdycool.
However,  I think the constitional role of a monarchy is quite valid.  
Of course, British friends may argue they do not have a  "constitution"  But the monarchy does work.  It doesn't really need all the  "pomp & circumstance". That stuff is a nice diversion but not legally necessary.
In Russia today, I can't see it.
Despite the re-emergence of the church, there is no political role for a monarch.  No matter who it might be ! He/she would not be  head of the church nor "Emperor" in any case.
I think it is best to leave it to the Russians themselves to figure it out.
The gods know that they have enough problems on their hands !!
Cheers. Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 05:51:36 AM »
i don't think that Russia will, or should reinstate the monarchy. i don't believe in the idea of ruling families, even if they are only constitutional monarchs. i could then go on to say i'm also an anti-nationalist, but that would be expressing my political beliefs, and that would be off topic.  :-X

although it would be nice to see a romanov (or an illinsky.... ;) ) back on the throne, i think that would only serve as closure  for the revolution and what happened at Yekaterinburg.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by olga »