The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
November 21, 2014, 10:34:46 AM
462534 Posts in 8996 Topics by 14527 Members
Latest Member: Ekaterina2012
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about Other Imperial Palaces
| |-+  Palaces in St. Petersburg (Moderators: BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Private rooms of the Winter Palace
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Private rooms of the Winter Palace  (Read 174580 times)
Reply #225
« on: June 15, 2007, 06:28:32 AM »
Eddie_uk Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Room belonging to Tatiana

Thank yopu Gd Ella. Very sad pictures. Any more information on this room? What did Tatiana use it for? Looks to be a lot of papers.

Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.
Reply #226
« on: June 15, 2007, 07:19:53 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz
Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D Posts: 13172

View Profile WWW

No, there wasn't any information about the rooms themselves other than basic captions except for what I added about Kerensky's bed.

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/
Reply #227
« on: June 15, 2007, 11:57:02 AM »
Robert_Hall Offline
Velikye Knyaz
a site. Posts: 6652

View Profile

As the IF had ceased using the Winter Palace as a residence some years before all this, I doubt that there was much in the way of their personal effects in these rooms. Except, perhaps for Nicholas' offices; The Bolsheviks  took the Palace from the Kerensky regime, so the papers strewn about most likely came from them- the Bolsheviks no doubt looking for enemies lists.
 Also, the looting was quickly put to a stop, the most damage actually done to the wine cellars.

Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.
Reply #228
« on: June 15, 2007, 12:11:43 PM »
Duke of New Jersey Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

Sorry to go off topic but was the Winter Palace totally empty after 1905 when Nicholas and Alexandra moved to the Alexander Palace.  Did some Grand Dukes move in as place holders?

-Duke of NJ
Reply #229
« on: June 15, 2007, 12:24:52 PM »
Vassili_Vorontsoff Offline
Knyaz
If I should die,think only this of me...R.Brooke Posts: 552

View Profile

To drow a parallel with the sacking of the winter palace,inventoring in tsarskoye selo
Reply #230
« on: June 15, 2007, 12:38:47 PM »
Robert_Hall Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Sorry to go off topic but was the Winter Palace totally empty after 1905 when Nicholas and Alexandra moved to the Alexander Palace.  Did some Grand Dukes move in as place holders?

It was never really "vacant". It still was a working palace. The ofices of the court were there, and it continued to be used for offiicial functions. I am not sure about this, but there might have even been people living in "grace & favour" apartments  then.

Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Reply #231
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:45:52 PM »
brnbg aka: liljones1968 Offline
Knyaz
<-------------------------------- YUP, THAT'S ME. Posts: 771

View Profile

As the IF had ceased using the Winter Palace as a residence some years before all this, I doubt that there was much in the way of their personal effects in these rooms. Except, perhaps for Nicholas' offices; The Bolsheviks  took the Palace from the Kerensky regime, so the papers strewn about most likely came from them- the Bolsheviks no doubt looking for enemies lists.
 Also, the looting was quickly put to a stop, the most damage actually done to the wine cellars.

(sent through webtranslation.imtranslator.net)

The official report of the inspector of room property of the Winter palace

To the chief of Petrograd Palace Management of the Inspector of room property of the Winter Palace

25 December, 1917
THE OFFICIAL REPORT

Representing herewith in six pictures representing a number of rooms on different half of the Winter palace, and also premises of pantries (on choruses of a cathedral of the Winter palace, and in livrejnoj a pantry), especially suffered at pogrom and the armed robbery of the Winter palace at night with 25 for October, 26th, during the whole day on October, 26th and up to poludnja on October, 27th this 1917.

I inform your Excellency, that almost in all rooms of the Winter palace (behind rather rare exception) the robbery of a different sort of property of room conditions is made, and also it is a lot of breakages from furniture and and, both from simple mischief, and from cannon shells, machine-gun and vintovochnyh shots. Not small quantity of subjects of conditions are finally put out of commission and there can not be restavrirovany for have lost the original form so, for example, were found on floors, windows, a furniture of a part bronze a candelabrum, hours, vases and other ornaments, and subjects were not at all; it were available mechanisms from hours, but there were no their cases, or there were cases, but there were no mechanisms. Fine slices of the broken vases, parts bronze a candelabrum rolled in a heap of dust and different stuff in different rooms of a palace, on ladders and in corridors. There were in different places of a back from sofas, legs from chairs or armchairs, but the subjects were not or have been transformed into fine pieces or chips. Among fragments of a tree and other dust in premises of a palace there was a decent quantity of a sea grass, mochaly, down and feathers; all mentioned was from furniture from which there was sporota a matter or a leather, from mattresses and krovatnyh pillows from which their environments consisting of a tic have been cut off, domestika, morocco and suede. In some premises, in a lot of rooms the furniture at windows and balconies for the device of barricades that those could serve as protection against bombardment outside has been made; and needless to say, that the furniture served for barricades, in the end-ends, has appeared a part absolutely destroyed, by a part is strongly broken and will demand major overhaul.

In all premises of a palace, with rare exception, are stolen from windows and dverets curtains, poluzanaveski, zanavesi, draperies, all these things have been made from paper, silk, hempen, a tulle, woolen and cloth matters; some of the mentioned subjects are stolen even with eaves, cords, gruzikami and copper podvesami... Piece carpets and napkins for tables velvet, cloth and pljushevye, was different premises of the Palace, are stolen, and some napkins are cut up by knifes and transformed into fine pieces or strips, anywhere suitable and are found thrown in halls and corridors of the Palace in heaps of dust.

In some premises silk matters by which walls have been upholstered are cut off by the whole panels or laces and the different tapes served by ornaments of mentioned walls are torn off a tulle. In a plenty covers from furniture, tire covers from tables and floors are stolen, all these subjects have been made from domestika and cloths. From a billiard room of Emperor Nikolay II billiard spheres are stolen and is much spoilt furniture, matters and other subjects.

In a plenty from various subjects of room conditions are cut off and sporoty their upholsteries made of different materials, but mainly from what were of great value, as, for example, silk, trip and a leather.

end pt 1
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:48:12 PM by brnbg aka: liljones1968 » Logged

"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous
everything we see hides another thing,
we always want to see what is hidden by what we see.

- Ren Magritte
Reply #232
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »
Knyaz

View Profile

begin pt 2

The premise on choruses of the Cathedral Winter (a pantry 42) where desk sets were stored, umyvalnye porcelain and other devices, stone ornaments, products from bronze, as that has undergone to plunder and rout: hours, candelabrums, figures from bronze and porcelain and other. Easter eggs, porcelain and stone, different grades of those and others are stolen in rather plenty. The eggs-charms made of the Ural stones, are stolen...

In 8 Chambers- of a corridor where the things personally belonged Their Imperial Majesties and which were me under available inventories are stored are handed over on reception of the Art Commission, also have undergone to plunder.

In 23 Big frejlinskogo a corridor where also there are stored things personally belonging Their Imperial Majesties and which have been handed over by me under available inventories in reception of the same Commission, and some of them to the going damage also have undergone to a robbery. On a corridor rooms of Emperor Alexander III had a plenty of things which have been brought by Its Majesty from travel on the East during the stay of its Successor Tsesarevichem, and also some subjects, brought to Their Majesties at various times and different persons. These things have the inventories and by me also have been handed over in reception of the Art commission. Now some of the mentioned subjects are finally destroyed, the some people are spoilt by breakages so, that can be hardly corrected, as all have suffered from the got cannon shell which was broke off inside of Secretarial rooms... To full rout and plunder have subjected apartments of countess Gendrikovoj, maid of honour Buksgevden, byv. An apartment of the maid of honour knjazhny Obolenskoj, prince Dolgorukov, prince Rat-kova, etc., and also premises of sisters of mercy in numbers Big frejlinskogo a corridor, numbers of a commandant's corridor, and in general hardly probable will be in the Winter palace such premises where rout (which would not be made understand in sense of the going breakage and damage of things up to unrecognizability and theft).

Then I report on your Excellency, that any sort partial plunders in the Winter palace have begun with that moment when in the Winter palace various public organizations have been admitted. On such partial thefts informed your Excellency in due time. Such partial thefts have especially amplified, when the significant amount of premises of the Winter palace served needs of members of Provisional government and when former Chairman of Ministerial council A.F.Kerensky and when from it pereedom in internal premises of a palace armies have been admitted has moved to the Palace on a residence. Then I inform, that in many numbers big Frejlinskogo a corridor, Chambers- of a corridor, on III spare half, in numbers of IV spare half, in numbers of a commandant's corridor the different persons concerned Provisional government and to A.F.Kerenskomu <have moved on a residence...>

In summary I consider as the duty to report, that since October, 25th, 1917 and to this day there was such order in the Winter palace, that the property is frequently taken out without my misses and, hence, without mine is conducted that is why bear any responsibility for an integrity of property actually I can not.

The inspector of room property of the Winter palace N.Dementyev.

-- anonymous

- Ren Magritte
Reply #233
« on: July 24, 2007, 03:18:36 PM »
Robert_Hall Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Interesting, Brian.
 My guides told me that although there was a lot of looting, the Bolsheviks made most of be returned as "property of the people" and that most damage was actually "superficial" and limited to certain areas. Considering the size of the place- larger than Versailles I would say, and amount it contains, it is hard to imagine much really missing now.
 For more reference you might see  Saving The Tsar's Palaces by Morgan & Orlova.

Reply #234
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:48:29 PM »
Knyaz

View Profile

Interesting, Brian.
 My guides told me that although there was a lot of looting, the Bolsheviks made most of be returned as "property of the people" and that most damage was actually "superficial" and limited to certain areas. Considering the size of the place- larger than Versailles I would say, and amount it contains, it is hard to imagine much really missing now.
 For more reference you might see  Saving The Tsar's Palaces by Morgan & Orlova.

http://webtranslation.imtranslator.net/webtarget.asp?clientid=default&appid=ImTranslator&dir=ru/en&dic=General&extsvr=&auto=1&url=http://fragments.spb.ru/hermitage_2.html

(if that link doesn't work, just send
http://fragments.spb.ru/hermitage_2.html
through a translator... there's also a an entry about the looting of the wine-cellars, i believe.)

-- anonymous

- Ren Magritte
Reply #235
« on: July 24, 2007, 07:05:20 PM »
Robert_Hall Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Yes, when order was restored- more or less I should suppose- the wine cellars were emptied [what was left of them I imagine] into the Neva to curtail the drunkeness. I think those cellars supplied all the imperial residences so the inventory was huge.

Reply #236
« on: November 10, 2007, 06:34:38 PM »
Vassili_Vorontsoff Offline
Knyaz
If I should die,think only this of me...R.Brooke Posts: 552

View Profile

I just get their hands on this watercolor of the room of feld marshals in winter palace, I think the realization is very successful.

Vassia
Reply #237
« on: December 30, 2007, 12:55:32 PM »
rgt9w Offline
Graf
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 456

View Profile

Does anyone  have any insight into why the Provisional Government inhabited the private rooms of Nicholas and Alexandra in the Winter Palace? Were these the only functional rooms in the palace for doing day to day government work as many of the other rooms were so formal? Was it more of a political statement that the provisional government had assumed the Emperors place and therefore they used his rooms to illustrate that?
Reply #238
« on: March 04, 2008, 05:16:35 AM »
Nadya_Arapov Offline
Graf

View Profile

These pictures were posted in the past, but all appear to have been erased because of cancelled photo-bucket accounts.

View 1 of Nicholas and Alexandra's bedroom at the Winter Palace

Reply #239
« on: March 04, 2008, 05:17:30 AM »
Nadya_Arapov Offline
Graf

View Profile

View 2 of Nicholas and Alexandra's bedroom.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: