Author Topic: Assistance in Identifying Uniform  (Read 2555 times)

Offline dimalynn

• View Profile
Assistance in Identifying Uniform
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:42:45 PM »
 Hope I have posted this in the appropriate section.
I'd deeply appreciate any help in identifying the uniform worn by my maternal Grandfather in this
photograph of he, my grandmother and aunt. I was told he was in the Czar's army, and the photo was taken between
 1910 and 1920. My mama's family's surname was Holosnjak, they lived in a small village south of Kharkov, Ukraine.
The village was renamed Morozovka after the Revolution, I do not know what it was called
prior to it's renaming. Thanks in advance for any information regarding the uniform. This is a
wonderful forum that I am enjoy immensely.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: Assistance in Identifying Uniform
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:19:17 AM »
According to this photo, your grandfather was a senior train conductor.

Offline dimalynn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:47:10 AM »
Not a military uniform at all!
Thank you very much for your help. Mike.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:39:31 AM »
Train conductor was a respectable and well-paid occupation in old Russia. Only married retired army NCOs with good references and handsome appearance were accepted.

Offline Nicolá De Valerón

• Graf
  • Soul to God, Loyality to Crown, Honor to nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:42:47 AM »
I can only agree with Mike. Although I'm not a big expert on an endless Russian nonmilitary uniform types (train conductors, civil engineers and so on....), but your grandfather had to have some (not very big of course) social status to serve as a train conductor. Moreover, he had to have some military rank, in addition to his nonmilitary rank as an equivalent. Of course I can hardly imagine General or even higher Officer (judging by the photo), more like he had lower military class in Table of ranks. More likely lower Officer, like Captain, Poruchik (Lieutenant) and so on...To serve with these ranks you hadn't need to have a big noble/aristocratic status.
"I think that if Shakespeare lived in our times he would not be able to write. Many of his works are not welcome on stage nowadays: The Merchant of Venice – anti-Semitism, Othello – racism, The Taming of the Shrew – sexism, Romeo and Juliet - hideous heterosexual show..." - Vladimir Bukovsky.

Offline dimalynn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:16:15 AM »
Thank you both for all the information.
I have another photo that I believe is of him several years prior to this one, he is
attired in what appears to be a military uniform with pantaloon style britches.
I need to scan it and, once again, ask for your gracious help.

Demitria