Other Romanov Crimean estates

(1/22) > >>

Sarai:
I would like to know if other Romanov Crimean estates survive to this day, such as G.D. Alexander Mikhailovich's Ai-Todor and G.D. Constantine Constantinovich's Oreanda. It would be great to have a list of all the Romanov Crimean estates, whom they belonged to, and which of those have survived.

In Prince Michael of Greece's book Nicholas and Alexandra: The Family Albums, there are also several photographs of a Crimean zoological park of sorts called Kozmodemiansk showing the Tsar and his children having fun there, hiding amongst the tall grasses, playing in the fountains and streams, etc. Makes me wonder whether this survives as well.

Jane:
Hello Sarai,

Greg King and Penny Wilson devoted an issue of Atlantis Magazine to the Romanovs in the Crimea, including historical backgrounds of the palaces, and Perry and Pleshakov's "The Flight of the Romanovs" (briefly) refers to the fate of a number of the palaces.

From what I understand, GD Alexander Mikhailovich's palace at Ai Todor was destroyed during WWII.  GD Dmitri's "Kichkine" is used as a travel and conference center by the Ukrainian government (MOD).  GD Peter N.'s "Djulber" is still extant, and is currenly used as a sanitorium.  "Massandra" and "Livadia" are museums now, open to the public.  The Yusupovs' villa still stands (possibly a sanitorium? unsure).  As to the fate of villas like Chaeer and Harax, I am not sure.  Can anyone expand/clarify/correct or otherwise add to the list?  Is the Crimea still a strong resort destination?  By all accounts I have seen, it looks to be an incredibly beautiful region, although I am ashamed to admit I still often (erroneously) think of it being a place in Russia, rather than the Ukraine.

Regards,

Jane  

BobAtchison:
Harax is still there, the seacliff-perched pavillion of Ai-Todor was still there (although in great danger of falling)...

Bob

Jane:
Bob, can you refresh my memory--who built Harax?  Was it one of the "Nikolaivichi" grand dukes? Can you describe it for us?

I've seen photos of the little pavilion perched on the cliffs of Cape Ai-Todor.  I've read that it was used as a restaurant?  Can that possibly be true?  Also, surely that wasn't Sandro and Xenia's palace?  I thought that the main villa had been destroyed by the Nazis, but I might be wrong...

Jane

BobAtchison:
Harax was built in 1907 for Grand Duke George and his wife Marie - it was designed by the architect Kranov - who later built the new Livadia palace for Nicholas and Alexandra.

Yes the pavillion at Ai Todor was a restaurant in Soviet times - I don't know what they are doing with it these days.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page