Author Topic: Maria Feodorovna after the war  (Read 35625 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Feodorovna after the war
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2010, 08:10:14 PM »
Well...I think the British Royal Family was very generous to Marie in funding her retirement (and later supporting Xenia as well) . She was never humiliated like she did with Christian X.

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2010, 10:25:50 PM »

I would say the incident of the electric bills, etc., was kind of minor.  My father used to tell us to turn off the electric lights  all the time.  It's part of living with family relations.  Marie was better off living in her own home at Hvidovre (København, Denmark) anyway.

Yes, the British royals did provide for Xenia but they did not provide a refuge for the Tsar and his immediate family.

Well...I think the British Royal Family was very generous to Marie in funding her retirement (and later supporting Xenia as well) . She was never humiliated like she did with Christian X.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2010, 03:29:34 AM »
To be fair, at the time George V declined to accept the Romanovs, their lives were not under particular threat. The chaos of the February Revolution had calmed down and the Provisional Government appeared to be in control. Things changed a good deal between April 1917 and July 1918.

Eric
In what ways did Christian X humiliate Marie Feodorovna? Asking her to economise does not qualify.

Ann

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2010, 05:50:20 AM »
I think asking her to economise, must have been humiliating.  Its not something she had to do in Russia or ever have to think about.
Its wonderful having been poor and becoming rich, but I imagine the opposite must have been extremely difficult for her.

I think she went into denial about many things after leaving Russia.   

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »
As I wrote in a previous post Christian X had a humor that was not to Marie Feodorovnas liking, but she had nothing against him in generel, calling him "fundamentally kind". Christian X could say quite shocking things in fun, and not all understood his humor.

In regards to Christian X humiliating MF, some of it comes from Ian Vorres book on GDss Olga. As I remember it, among other things she said that Christian would come and check if any items in the mansion were missing, thinking they had sold them. Olga seems to have taken what he said for real, which I can't judge if he did.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2010, 08:43:31 PM »
Yes. Also Both Dagmar & Alexandra was never really close to Lovisa's family (The only exception maybe Karl (Haakon) who married Maud). George V did not seem to be close to his Danish cousin either. I agree with Kmerov, it is humilating for Marie to be even suspect of stealing from her nephew. No wonder Queen Alexandrine wept at her husband's behavior to his Russian aunt.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2010, 05:03:06 PM »
At Hvidøre she lived very modest with a small loyal Russian retinue, consisting of Countess Mengden, Prince Dolgoruky and Prince Vyasemsky. I have also read that her Russian relative Princess Helena of Mecklenburg-Strelitz lived with her.

Princess Albert of Saxe Altenberg nee Duchess of Mecklenberg -Strelitz left Russia with the von Carlow family (widow and grown children of her late brothers morganatic marriage ) on another british warship from Odessa.She settled in Germany in what had been her late husbands family estate.

I should have written for some time during MF's exile, but I don't know for how long. Helena provided a Danish author with stories about their last years in Russia.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2010, 05:29:20 PM »
Princess Helena of Denmark in Russia ???

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »
No, Helena of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, daughter of Grand Duchess Ekaterina Mikhailovna of Russia.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2010, 06:08:49 PM »
Was she in Russia ?

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2010, 06:59:02 PM »
Yes, I believe she spend time or even lived in Russia prior to the revolution.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2010, 01:52:23 AM »
Yes, I believe she spend time or even lived in Russia prior to the revolution.

She lived in Russia most of her life, and before 1917 year certainly.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2010, 03:16:41 AM »
Every time I read about the British royals trying to get their hands on Marie's  jewels,  I get a sick feeling in my stomach. I presume she realized that since her blood relations were not able or willing to fully fund her retirement, she had to convert her jewels into cash.  Possibly her consolation was the fact that they were retained within royal circles and didn't go to some American millionaire's wife. I guess she was being practical and didn't want her daughters feeling that they had to support their elderly mother.  

I watched my own mother parcel out her jewelry collection and diamonds to her children before she passed away. It's sad but then one should be realistic.

Ahem. I think you need to do a bit more reading! :) Because of George V's support Marie did not need to pawn jewels to fund her exile. George V was very kind to Marie and always protected her interests. The aim of getting the jewel case to England was to protect the contents for Xenia and Olgas benefit. Read "The Lost Fortune of the Tsars", very good book!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2010, 07:49:20 AM »
So was there a book published on Helena ?

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2010, 03:40:43 PM »
No, not by this author, but I don't know if there is a book about Helena.