Author Topic: Amur Cossack Uniforms  (Read 13125 times)

Offline Mike Blake

• View Profile
Re: Amur Cossack Uniforms
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 09:06:29 AM »
This is all very fascinating, but I must confess I am confused. What I asked was 'Did the Amur wear the cherkessa and beshmet in any order of dress?' Is it me getting the terms confused, please? I have to look up which is what everytime - have I used the wrong terminology? If so I apologise, but would ask that one of the experts explain, in simple terms, what the answere to my original question is, please.
Many thanks
Mike (Novice student of all things Cossack)

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 09:40:22 AM »
Well, for the time being you've read (or at least seen) a beautiful poem by Lermontov, haven't you?
No, Amur cossacks didn't wear cherkeskas or beshmets. They wore chekmens (kaftans) and later gimnasterkas, like all other cossacks except Kuban and Terek.

Offline Mike Blake

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 03:05:24 AM »
Thanks Mike -

Offline Mike Blake

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 04:58:21 AM »
Fascinating though this all is, still no one has commented on the 'unique' fur hat of the Amur cossacks. Why did they alone  have this?

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 09:58:57 AM »
They did not. Such long fur hats - "Manchurian papakhas" - were worn by all Siberian cossack hosts: Transbaikal, Amur and Ussuri, as well as by some other Cossack units.

Offline Mike Blake

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 12:18:34 PM »
Thanks Mike - you are always there it seems! ;-)

I am really confused now, as I have only ever seen illustrations of the Amur cossacks in the fur hat I meant as 'unique'? It has a completely different shape to the papakhas usually shown. It has a domed cloth crown, with a relatively low but much wider fur lower portion. It is shown in an illustration in a plate in the New York Public  Library Vinkhuijhzen collection (I can't work out how to post it here). I have never seen any other of the Cossacks illustrated wearing it. http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=286276&imageID=443725&total=39&num=20&parent_id=286200&word=&s=&notword=&d=&c=&f=&k=0&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&lword=&lfield=&imgs=20&pos=37

Regards

Mike 2