Author Topic: Transsiberian Express exhibition in Brussels  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Transsiberian Express exhibition in Brussels
« on: October 13, 2005, 12:14:30 PM »
Seems to be an interesting  exhibition, just opened.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Transsiberian Express exhibition in Brussels
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 02:14:03 PM »
Merci Bercoup, but for those who cannot read, speak French, a short translation, perhaps ? :)
Thank you.

Tatiana
TatianaA

Offline Tatia

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 05:35:04 AM »
It's also available in English ;):

Trans-Siberian Express

This mythical train has been travelling across Russia since the end of the 19th century. It leaves from Moscow and, on the course of its seven-day journey, goes through the Ural Mountains, the Siberian taiga, around Lake Baikal and follows the Amur River up to Vladivostok on the Sea of Japan.

In 1900 the Trans-Siberian Express was already one of the main attractions of the Universal Exhibition in Paris. Staged by the graphic artist and architect, François Schuiten, the exhibition that will be dedicated to the train this autumn in Brussels will take the visitor on an unusual and unexpected journey.

The eternal fascination that Siberia has always exerted will be immediately evident in the exhibition through the evocation of Yermak’s first conquests, then through the painstaking drawing up of the plans and the construction of the railway line – in which the Belgian Georges Nagelmaeckers participated. The visitor will then board the “Rossia” to set off on this great journey, with stopovers in the main towns in between Moscow and Vladivostok. A great number of objects never seen before, pictures, pieces of music and literature will illustrate this 9,289 km-long journey. The Tartars in Tatarskaia, the Evenki and their shamanist rituals in Novosibirsk, the Buryats and Buddhism in Ulan-Ude will testify to the ethnical, cultural and religious diversity. The main events of Russian history linked to these places, such as the religious schism of 1650 or the tragic end of the imperial family in Ekaterinburg, in addition to the impressions left by Dostoyevsky, Chekhov or Pasternak will help create the atmosphere of the journey. Travellers will also discover the extraordinary countryside and landscapes, the steppes, the forests of birch and pine trees, the rivers, and the lakes.

An adventurous and surprising journey through the great land of Russia.

Offline Lyss

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 02:31:09 PM »
there are a ton of exhibitions due to Europalia Russia that is taking place in Brussels. The exhibitions are mosltly in Brussel, but also in other Belgian cities.
I want to do them all, but a lot of opera's and theaters are already full booked :(
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 03:16:33 PM »
I'm thankful for the translation. I also wish for those of us unable to leave on long trips, [or any trips] that there might be video tapes, or cd's available for us to watch at will here at home. It's for me, the closest thing to having a 'real' vacation. Instead, for me, like many, it ends in a 'reel' vacation. lol.

Still, with sites as these, we can connect and at least read what others see first person, though I know that there are countless thousands, unable to afford even a computer.

Thanks for the many who continue to share your trips, your pictures, etc. It means the world to us, and I for one, am most grateful.

Tatiana
TatianaA

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:52:48 AM »
Ride the Trans-Siberian Express? Google says no problem
Google makes a ride on the Trans-Siberian express possible from the comfort of your own desk

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2010/0223/Ride-the-Trans-Siberian-Express-Google-says-no-problem

http://www.expresstorussia.com/trans-siberian_express.html

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 06:35:15 PM »
Interesting, Vladimir.  Although I love visiting Russia and rail travel as well,  2 weeks on a train is a bit much,  for me. Even one week on an ocean liner was enough. And I  have 2 weeks in the spring  for a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam.  Should be interesting to see how that goes.
 But, back to the trans Siberian;  IF I were to do it, I think I would opt  for the   Vladivostok start.  Just makes sense to me from the west coast of the USA.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.