Author Topic: Olga and Anastasia  (Read 31865 times)

Offline Grand Duchess Valeria

• Graf
    • View Profile
Olga and Anastasia
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:23:18 AM »
Sorry, if this was ever posted before, but I couldn't find any answer to my question while scrolling through these topics.
How was Olgas relationship to Maria and especially Anastasia. I've red, that Olga and Anastasia did not really get along with each other, is that true?
Thanks for helping and posting fotos if you want:)

And when he shall die, // Take him and cut him out in little starres, // And he will make the Face of heaven so fine, // That all the world will be in Love with night, // And pay no worship to the Garish Sun.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Olga and Anastasia
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:47:48 AM »
On the contrary, I think Olga and Anastasia got on quite well. Olga regularly uses Anastasia's nickname "shvybzik" in her letters and diaries to refer to her sister. Tatiana, Maria, and Aleksei do so rarely, if at all. (Anastasia's own use of "shvybzik" in her letters to her father make it clear it was a nickname she liked, btw.) I interpret that familiarity as a sign of affection between Olga and Anastasia.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »
Like the letter that Anastasia wrote where she mentions Olga threatening to punch her if she didn't stop picking her nose.  Obviously it is an empty threat. They did get on well, I like that photo were Olga is reading a book and Anastasia is sitting behind her.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline abbigail

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »
Though they certainly loved each other and normally got along wonderfully, and were very close, it's possible they could have been more irritable towards each other because of the relatively large age difference Just small spats and arguments because of that are possible--perhaps Anastasia appered silly or immature to Olga at times, or Olga seemed moody and not fun...very common with nearly all siblings. Maybe it was a little more pronounces between Olga and Anastasia because of the age difference. But I could be wrong.
There is a clock that never strikes...
There is a cathedral that goes down and a lake that goes up...
There is a little carriage abandoned in the copse...
There is a troupe of little actors in costume...
And when you are hungry or thirsty, there is someone who drives you away.

Offline Dust_of_History

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:53:17 PM »
I agree. Olga was the oldest and Anastasia the youngest of the girls and they both had strong characters but that doesn't mean they didn't get along with each other.They definitely had arguments but I'm sure everyone has had arguments with somebody in his/her life. They were siblings. :-)

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:53:03 AM »
All I know is there are many photos where "shvybzik"  is hanging on to Olga, in what looks like utter comfort,  ease  and love... Anastasia even has her arm around Olga in formal photos. I believe this idea of animosity between them started when the cartoon , Anastasia, came out and to create some"  drama" , the producers  made AN into a type of misunderstood Cinderella with mean, step sisters. 

However I believe Olga did whack the  little pair when she thought they needed it!  We see Olga smack/ shove Maria away from Anastasia when those two are fussing on the steps to the  river in 1916...everyone is laughing too.... And if Anastasia is openly picking her nose, then in imo, she is indeed in danger of  receiving some " rough justice"  from Olga. The big pair took on some parenting duties by that time and  Olga was not one to hold back. 

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 09:30:45 AM »
and in that great picture of Olga and Anastasia,( thanks for posting it! )  I'm guessing by the shadows in the foreground that Tatiana is walking ahead of Anastasia and Maria has turned around  in front of Olga to  take the photo ( merely speculation of course ) . Another bond between Olga and Anastasia is I believe they both deeply loved pranks as a means to alleviate boredom...probably no one loved pranks as much as  Anastasia...but I believe they would appreciate that in each other.

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:49:22 AM »
Another thing these two shared was a keen sense of what was just and what was not...which I can't say is unrelated to the love of pranks....pranks are  sometimes a short cut to a type of justice! These sisters also would both let you know, in thier way, when they felt justice was outraged and in no uncertain terms. I think they understood each other quite well. And everyone greatly enjoyed Anastasia's humor...when they weren't the victem of it! . In looking into another matter, I found a long excerpt of Anastasia's letter to her father where she speaks of Olga's swinish hand,  in the book, The Romanovs love, power and tragedy.....on page 129, She writes :  I sat digging  my nose with my left hand. Olga wanted to give me a slap but I escaped from her swinish hand. I hope you have got a good picture of Alexei, and you show it to everybody. Tatiana is as stupid as ever.... It's speculation, but that indicates to  me that Tatiana, The Governess , covers the wash your hands and eat your vegetable aspects of parenting,   while Olga takes care of the walking when necessary part . That division would suit the Big Pair's temperaments nicely. But the GD's  were a seriously rough housing bunch. In this letter, Anastasia herself tell her father she's"  itching " to punch someone called, Bob at HQ. lol! 

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Padawan Ryan

• View Profile
    • Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 03:26:27 PM »
I always figured the two had a pretty good relationship. I mean, of course, Olga was the oldest and Anastasia the youngest, so they obviously had their differences, but they do have some of the same qualities. Olga has been described as rude - not terribly so, but she could be frank and blunt, among moody - and Anastasia was also considered rude many times, though for slightly different reasons. Of course, I'm not implying that they bonded over their rudeness. As well, from things I've read, it seemed that Tatiana was the one who was mostly into fashion and such, and Maria was boy crazy basically, so those two had girly qualities that didn't fit Olga or Anastasia as much. Anastasia was more of a tomboy, and Olga was practical (for lack of a better term), and those two qualities can mash together well at times.
Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur. Social Work graduate, History student.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
Here's a screenshot of Olga putting her arm around Anastasia's shoulders...

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 08:12:40 AM »
Clock, thank you , that's awesome. One can see Marie is ahead and about to turn back to say something. She was just shoved , smacked by Olga and I think partly why Olga took hold of Anastasia ( who is returning the hug) was to keep her from Marie, so the  rough housing between them  would stop. To continue it,  would take them near Alexis at that point, besides it's simply dangerous to do on stairs .Tatiana was the Governess, but I think of Olga as the Boss! lol! We'll never know what Marie said as she turned back to them . But it seemed to amuse them. Really I think the idea of smacking Marie with just your hand at this point is pretty  funny. Because if you didn't have a lead pipe in your hand, it's effect could only be morel ! lol! But Olga and Anastasia hold on to each other the rest of the time to the boat , long after the need to separate the small pair has passed. This is very special film.

I'm also thinking of the famous photo of Anastasia's arm  draped over Olga as she was reading .It's just one photo, but it says much imo. Both girls look in complete ease and  closeness. I don't see Anastasia doing so, or Olga allowing it, in such ease, if they did not have excellent relations. And as Sarushka  says up thread, Olga regularly used Anastasia's nickname "shvybzik" in her letters...a name Anastasia used for herself. That shows great affection imo.

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »
That is actually a video footage that was shot while visiting General Headquarters in 1916, IF were crossing the steps downwards, and Grand Duchesses were joyous. I am agreed that Olga and Anastasia might have gone along quite well. 

Snapshot.
(Whole family was presented)

Alexandre 64 posted once one amazing snapshot in large format of that video. 
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

RomanovMartyrs

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »
However I believe Olga did whack the  little pair when she thought they needed it!  We see Olga smack/ shove Maria away from Anastasia when those two are fussing on the steps to the  river in 1916...everyone is laughing too.... 

This is very interesting. Where can "we see" it? lol Is it a video or photograph? Thanks to who replies. :)

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 11:34:01 PM »
It's a snapshot taken from a video... ;)  . I've seen it in a TV documentary and even have it recorded in VHS. It's very moving to see them walking and smiling and being so close as a family.

RealAnastasia.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 09:31:47 AM »
from incomparable tashusik on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG2Hec_8Vzc

The  footage begins around :49 seconds in.....the family is coming down stairs to the river. Maria and Anastasia are shoving a bit on the stairs. Tatiana strees clear to the side. After she shoved Maria, Olga puts an arm around Anastasia , as Maria sails ahead and all laughing. Alexi and his parents come down before the girls do. Alexi looks quite thin here. This video also has CLOSE up footage of the Romanov's in Romania in 1914...Olga is holding a baby for the formal photo, but once the picture has been taken, Maria swoops over to take the baby from Olga. So Maria's love of children is there for us to see in action. This is a nice mix of footage. Enjoy!

Olga Nikolaevna