Author Topic: Cavalier's Houses, Tsarskoe Selo  (Read 11984 times)

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
Cavalier's Houses, Tsarskoe Selo
« on: May 02, 2004, 09:57:26 PM »
On Sadovaya from Leontievskaya to the Lyceum are the Cavalier's Houses. Karamzin had lived in the corner house. In Lili Dehn's memoir she writes of her husband's regiment and that early in her marriage they resided in an appartment that faced the park. I had always assumed she was referring to the Catherine Park and trying to decipher maps and texts of the Sadovaya, this appears to be the only area that I can determine for the higher court regimental residences. The menage and orangerie etc take up most of the street. Has anyone any idea if I am on the right track? Have you visited these Cavalier's houses, manege or orangerie? Can you describe them?

Joanna
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Joanna »

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Cavalier's Houses, Tsarskoye Selo
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 07:33:44 AM »
Hello Joanna!
Gleb Botkin lived in one of those houses you mean, but i´ve never thought of Lily living there. Lily lived some time in the Anichkov palace,if i remember well, in some quarters destined to the officers´ families. So i would say, but might be mistaken, Lily lived in some building nearer to the Alexander Palace, in Dvortsovaya, that may be, no longer exist...
I think the Cavalier houses would be given to people with higher positions in the court...

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 07:31:11 PM »
Hi Antonio !

That is piece of puzzle for me as I did not know the  Botkin family lived in one of the Cavilier houses! I remember Lily writing of the Anitchkov but you are right it may have been one of the regiment apartments on Dvortsovaya that the Dehns' occupied during their time in Tsarskoye Selo (was it at the time of Titi's birth and early years?). Did you visit the regiment buildings near the imperial garages? Are some still there?

Many many thanks
Joanna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 12:35:19 PM »
Hi Antonio !

That is piece of puzzle for me as I did not know the  Botkin family lived in one of the Cavilier houses! I remember

Hello Joanna,

I´m posting these photographs for you can see how these houses look today.

Also an old photo with tatiana and Gleb in the front garden.

Sunny

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 01:54:25 PM »
Antonio, wonderful photographs...thanks.

Sunny

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »
OH WOW Antonio! I am in awe of these two photographs!

I wonder if the fence in front of the Cavaliers' Houses is original c1910's as it looks similar to the Yale photos. Although possibly not as iron was in short supply during the decades.

And most amazing of all is that this is the first photo that I have ever seen of Tatiana and Gleb Botkin!

Many many thanks
Joanna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 08:22:29 PM »

And most amazing of all is that this is the first photo that I have ever seen of Tatiana and Gleb Botkin!

Many many thanks
Joanna

Here you have another one taken in Tatiana´s bedroom. The lady to the right is her aunt Katya.

And this is the last photo of doctor Botkin, with Tatiana and Gleb, taken in Tobolsk in 1918.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Antonio_P.Caballer »

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 08:55:35 PM »
The photo was taken in 1915. So she was 17 and Gleb should be 15 years old...So definitely the child cannot be Gleb. Also, reading the first post i just saw a MISTAKE of mine, the lady is NOT her mother but her AUNT KATYA. Sorry for the confussion... :-[

The boy could be a cousin, but do not know for sure...

Madame Botkin demanded divorce after an scandalous affair with a german tutor. This information come from The fate of the Romanovs. I suppose she survived the revolution but have no details. She does not even appear in the Botkin family trees i´ve seen...

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 09:53:11 AM »
Antonio the photos and the deatils are aamazing - I am glad you and Joanna have started this discussion.

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
Re: Cavalier's Houses, Tsarskoe Selo
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 08:36:21 PM »
There was a pic in the Anastasia AE bio of Gleb Botkin in the 30's, and he looked like Olga Nicholaievna a lot!
lol, i cant find the pic, but here's the actual one:
they just hav the same gazing look and pose..its from my more favorite of the AOTMA pics..they all look more solemn in this one though...

[glb]I've always thought so!  ::) :P[/glb]

if you find me wrong, hey arent i entitled to my own opinion? lol
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by moonlight_tsarina »
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
Re: Cavalier's Houses, Tsarskoe Selo
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 06:21:14 PM »
Of the four Kavalier Houses, at Sadovaya 12 lived the historian Nikolai Karamzin. From this article, it was bought by a private individual and is now threatened with destruction due to the removal of walls, etc.
Exterior which does not show the deterioration:
http://www.novayagazeta.spb.ru/images/2007_81/3.jpg
Interior:
http://www.novayagazeta.spb.ru/images/2007_81/2.jpg
Article:
http://www.novayagazeta.spb.ru/2007/81/2

The court physician E. Botkin lived in the Kavalier House at Sadovaya 6. The entrance to the house does not face the street but in the back through the lane to the Court Stables (today the Carriage Museum). The entry is narrow and very stark with a staircase leading to various apartments. It would be interesting to know if it was remodeled after 1917 for multi family occupants or if this was how it looked during the Botkin's time.

Joanna