Author Topic: Tatiana Photographs III  (Read 481260 times)

Offline SweetAngels

• "Damm the rules, make it an experiment"-BP
    • View Profile
Re: Tatiana Photographs III
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2010, 09:52:34 AM »
Quite right it is Tatiana on the Polar Star. :)

"He who knows best, never learns anything"~Henrik Tikkanen
"Wo man singt, da lass Dich ruhig nieder. Böse Menschen haben keine Lieder."~ J. C Seume

Offline Condecontessa

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2010, 01:01:12 PM »
Sarushka, what is the title of the documentary that the screenshot came from?

And also, I don't think the screenshot was taken in January 1911 because the Imperial Family surely was back to Tsarskoe Selo by then.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2010, 05:44:59 PM »
Sarushka, what is the title of the documentary that the screenshot came from?

It's called Nikolai i Aleksandra. As far as I know, it's only available on VHS. I think I got it on RussianDVD.com, but I'm not sure if they're still selling it -- I always have a hard time finding it again when someone requests a link.

And also, I don't think the screenshot was taken in January 1911 because the Imperial Family surely was back to Tsarskoe Selo by then.

I don't know much about the IF's whereabouts for that year. Maybe someone with a copy of NII's diary can check for us.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2010, 04:13:15 PM »
I love Tatian's look on this one! Sleepy Maria lying on her  and Tatiana is like "Oh, Lord, not again!"  ;D

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2010, 08:55:33 PM »
*laughing*  :D

Offline Grand Duchess Valeria

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2010, 02:19:44 AM »
uhm...her waist is so slim...I really envy her  ;)
And when he shall die, // Take him and cut him out in little starres, // And he will make the Face of heaven so fine, // That all the world will be in Love with night, // And pay no worship to the Garish Sun.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »
I believe it was Gibbes who wrote that you could hardly find anyone so thin as Tatiana. (I'll double check the quote in House of Special Purpose when I get a minute.)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »
Sarushka , I believe that was Gibbs and he also said TN had decided opinions, but you would never know her thoughts. Interesting distinction.
I love these two photos, taken early in the war.  It looks like the Tsar is trying to figure out how to work the captured German machine gun and in  the next photo, it looks like Tatiana is reading the instructions....the Governess at work! lol! She wearing the same blouse as in the previous photo, but it's bleached out by the evening sun.

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2010, 10:51:59 PM »
Maybe she was wearing a corset.

Everyone wore a corset back then, even if they were thin. But she was REALLY thin and slender. Just look at her arms. When you wants to know if a lady was really thin or it was the corset, just look at her arms. Fat arms couldn't be disguised. The corset didn't make you look rhinner. It only shaped your waist in a fashinable way. Isabel II of Spain, and Mary of Teck's mother sure wore corsets too..But you couldn't said they were thin!  ;D

Some girls would even sleep with corsets, just to "keep their waist on shape". The writer Laura Ingalls Wilder tell us in one of her "Little House books", that her mother adviced her daughters to sleep with corsets, to keep their figure nice. Laura couldn't bear it and wouldn't sleep with it, but of course her sister Mary did. So, her mother would said in a desperate voice: " God knows what your figure will be!"

Corsets were still in use in the middle of the 20's, but they were very different from the precedents. Thay were intended to make you look as smooth as a wooden table, so it didn't press your waist, but rather your chest.

RealAnastasia.

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »
I believe it was Gibbes who wrote that you could hardly find anyone so thin as Tatiana. (I'll double check the quote in House of Special Purpose when I get a minute.)

Yes, he was.

'You could hardly find anyone so thin' - recalled Gibbes on Tatiana. FOTR, pg. 48.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline bonbon823

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2010, 04:20:37 PM »
Ladies even wore corsets while pregnant!  Seems the height of stupidity to us but it was quite normal for them.

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2010, 10:53:47 PM »
Some women still wear a kind of girdle even today. It's to shape better your figure. Some of them, are even recommended by doctors for specific physical problems. Even some men wears girdles for backside troubles and such. One of my grand-aunts who is only 76 years old, wore girdle since she was 35, to shape her body in a good way. However, she complained a lot about pespiring in summer.

Not all models of corsets would compress your ribs and organs together. It depends their shape. Corsets from 1880 to 1905, surely did. Later corsets wouldn't. Corsets from XVIII century were more little than the others and was mainly wore to shape your upper part of the body into a "V". It was the fashionable shape back then.

Hope this info could be useful.

RealAnastasia.

Offline Tsarevich Alexei fan13

• View Profile
    • Alexeiromanov.org
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2010, 11:47:04 AM »
Great photos!
A minitaure painting based on a photo

Thank you for the painting! I was just wondering if that painting was copyrighted or not?

Offline Grand Duchess Valeria

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2010, 11:31:37 AM »
Are the other minatures posted in this forum or did they not exist?
And when he shall die, // Take him and cut him out in little starres, // And he will make the Face of heaven so fine, // That all the world will be in Love with night, // And pay no worship to the Garish Sun.

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2010, 11:17:09 PM »
Are the other minatures posted in this forum or did they not exist?

Yes, they are. They are posted one, by one, in each OTMA Forum. And there are two others in the Alix and Nicholas forums too. However, I think they were not dynamite. The most beatiful of them is Tatiana's image. I don't really care for the others. Their eyes are not well painted. I mean that their expressions seems to show that all of them had crossed eyes!  ;)

RealAnastasia.