Author Topic: Tragic parallels between the Romanov's and the Bourbon's.  (Read 3296 times)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Tragic parallels between the Romanov's and the Bourbon's.
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
I don't know if anyone else has posted this, but I have noticed that in many ways, history tragically repeated itself in the Russion Revolution.  The same thing, more or less, happened in France in their revolution.  Examples.

Russia/France was ruled by a leader who was not prepared for the job (Nicholas II/Louis XVI).

Both men were married to an unpopular queen (Alexandra/Marie Antoinette) who came from a foreign country (Germany/Austria).

Both families were ousted in a violent revolution and locked away.

The revolution ushered in an even more brutal regiem (Bolsheviks/Reign of Terror), led by a dictator (Lenin/Robespierre).

Finally, both Imperial families are put to death.

However, they are some some differences as well.  Unlike the Romanov's, Louis and Marie Antoinette were not put to death at the same time.  Louis was beheaded first, and Marie nine months later.  Their children were not executed, their son, the Dauphin (more on him a little farther down), died in prison and their daughter, Marie Therese survived, although she ended up exiled in Austria.

Robespierre was himself eventually overthrown and met the same fate as Louis and Marie Antoinette.  His regime was finshed.  Of course, Lenin was not overthrown and the regime he started would last for another 74 years.

The Bourbon's were briefly restored after the defeat of Napolean.  The Romanov's never got the throne back.

Coming back to the Dauphin, we find another parallel.  For a long time, no one was sure what became of him.  In the 19th century, several claiments turned up, saying they were him (sound familiar).  Like the Romanov claiments, it was DNA tests that finally debunked them all.  The Dauphin died in prison, he didn't make it out.

Tragic history repeated itself.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic parallels between the Romanov's and the Bourbon's.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:54:47 AM »
This has been discussed, many times before.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic parallels between the Romanov's and the Bourbon's.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »
Sorry, I'm still finding my way around here.
Cats: You just gotta love them!