Author Topic: Gilded metal jug, possibly from St. Petersburg  (Read 6192 times)

Offline PeterBB

• View Profile
Gilded metal jug, possibly from St. Petersburg
« on: April 07, 2010, 01:49:09 PM »
Hello!

Wish to get help finding the companies that are likely to know this jug made of gilded metal
and it is 31 cm in height and if you know the names of the master-signed?

Constantinople

Re: Gilded metal jug, possibly from St. Petersburg
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
it is an interesting piece but I would say not top quality.  What makes you think it is from St Petersburg. Most top qualtiy work like Faberge will indicate the company name and quite possibly the artist who worked on it.  As well sometimes a serial number is used so that the piece can be traced later. I think it ha a nice feel to it so good luck.  Do you use it?

Offline PeterBB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »
It was for that family comes from St. Petersburg and has worked at the Vladimir Palace in Saint Petersburg.

Constantinople

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 12:27:07 PM »
The simple thing to do would be to contact the Vladimir Palace staff, but as the piece was lifted, that might create problems.  The Vladimir palace should have extensive records and may even have a similar carafe to that one.  What is the makeup of the metal?  Is it gold or plated? and are their any marks that would tell if it was from one of the prominent jewellers?

Offline PeterBB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 06:41:43 AM »
This is a gilded metal jug and with handwritter hallmarks as pictures you can see at the forum!

Constantinople

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 10:16:44 AM »
Hallmarks would not be handwritten.  If it is gold or silver, there should be an assay mark.

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 11:41:35 AM »
Relative to "Constantinople's" remarks above, I would have to say that I have NEVER heard of, or seen, HANDWRITTEN  true "hallmarks." (Just think how easily they could be altered!) Especially during the 19th century, Russian silver/goldsmiths were highly consistent with hammered/impressed markings of basicly the craftsman/company/location, assayer and date and quality of metal.  I DO understand that the mounts on the glass vessel here are said to be "gilded metal."  Gilded over silver, bronze, copper, or base-metal?  STILL, there should be SOME impressed markings, in my view.  It does appear to be a handsome piece, IMO, though not outstanding.  AP
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:47:54 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline PeterBB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 01:36:18 PM »
The jug is not of precious metal, but some sort of cast metal and the drop in gold, thus gilded metal. I have no idea why there is a handwritten rather than going for a stamp.
I only see what I can see on the subject and hope to APF's friends can answer my questions and if you can not, it's not much to do about it!

But I can recognize that the jug is very beautiful!

Constantinople

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 02:37:23 PM »
I think the jug is beautiful too. I think that the handwritten letters may be for inventory. 

Offline PeterBB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 03:07:25 PM »

This is also a possibly!

Constantinople

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »
One possiblity is that this was a replica of a much more valuable jug so that a replica could be shown of the original in the palace, which is now a museum.

Offline PeterBB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »
This is one old jug!

Constantinople

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 10:53:45 PM »
Well it was made into a museum probably in the 1950s or earlier

Constantinople

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 12:15:34 PM »
Here are some pictures of the interior of Vladimir Palace and in one you can see a similar glass ornament.  I think that whoever you got that from took it from the Vladimir Palace and I think that if that is the case, you should discretely return it.  The intrisic value is probably not that high and it is probably an inexpensive reproduction of an artifact that was originally made from gold  or vermeil and crystal or maybe gold and rock crystal

Offline PeterBB

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 03:15:25 PM »
Which photo? I can not see anything here?